Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XGL (Part 4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Blank screens on Xgl Reply with quote

Zhen85 wrote:
Hi all:
I'm trying out Xgl and the compile went great, but unforuntaly i have problems running it.
When i type in
Code:
Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer

I get a window with a grey background and the mouse cursor is an "X"
after that, i type in
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ DISPLAY=:1 compiz gconf

into another terminal and then the Xgl window turns black with a pointer for the mouse coursor, nothing ever happens

It seems like the correct behavior for those commandos so what are you waiting for?
KDE, Gnome, fluxbox?
However: try out the "startxgl" script instead as Xgl just starts the server (the gray and the X) and compiz the windowmanager but none of them starts a Desktop Enviroment (like Gnome och KDE) whitch provides the windows to manage.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
Hello there. People with the problems with debian/changelog quinn.h bit.. This problem is known, but I guess the way I package the tarball up doesn't include it. I will try and fix it, so just give me a little while.

Hey nesl247,

I just got rev 235 and per instructions deleted the old tarball. There was an error after download indicating the download didn't succeed (even though it did -- that usually indicates a bad manifest), but after I re-digested, I tried building 0.0.13.0-r1 and got the same error:
Code:
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1/work/compiz-0.0.13/src'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../debian/changelog', needed by `quinn.h'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1/work/compiz-0.0.13/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1/work/compiz-0.0.13'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Just to be sure, I deleted the tarball again to force a re-download and got the same error. Is this the correct file?:
Code:
ls -l /var/portage/distfiles/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0.tar.bz2
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root portage 546347 2006-06-08 01:53 /var/portage/distfiles/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0.tar.bz2
lsm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: same outcome, rev 236 Reply with quote

Same outcome, Rev 236

sternklang wrote:
nesl247 wrote:
Hello there. People with the problems with debian/changelog quinn.h bit.. This problem is known, but I guess the way I package the tarball up doesn't include it. I will try and fix it, so just give me a little while.

Hey nesl247,

I just got rev 235 and per instructions deleted the old tarball. There was an error after download indicating the download didn't succeed (even though it did -- that usually indicates a bad manifest), but after I re-digested, I tried building 0.0.13.0-r1 and got the same error:
Code:
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1/work/compiz-0.0.13/src'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../debian/changelog', needed by `quinn.h'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1/work/compiz-0.0.13/src'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1/work/compiz-0.0.13'

Just to be sure, I deleted the tarball again to force a re-download and got the same error. Is this the correct file?:
Code:
ls -l /var/portage/distfiles/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0.tar.bz2
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root portage 546347 2006-06-08 01:53 /var/portage/distfiles/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0.tar.bz2
Zhen85
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here :(
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not seeing these errors
i just updated to 236
no errors on download and no errors on install
same operational errors though
ColiverHB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue, Im updated as well, and have removed and redownloaded the compiz tarball.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manifest problem was fixed in 236. The tarball is still bad: there is no debian directory in the tarball. I deleted compiz* from my distfiles directory so I know it was redownloaded when I just tested this.

Any chance the different CoffeeBuzz devs are committing different versions of the tarball? Then it would be the luck of the draw as to whether you download a good tarball or not.
ColiverHB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:( I want to get this updated.

My current version of compiz is 0.0.11.1-r1 because of crashes and random slowdowns when I updated to 0.0.11.2.

I wanted to see if the new version does that to me anymore.
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
The manifest problem was fixed in 236. The tarball is still bad: there is no debian directory in the tarball. I deleted compiz* from my distfiles directory so I know it was redownloaded when I just tested this.

Any chance the different CoffeeBuzz devs are committing different versions of the tarball? Then it would be the luck of the draw as to whether you download a good tarball or not.

this is really strange sternklang
i also always delete the old compiz folder before i do an upgrade "like the install script does"
i also read the changelog in the debian folder so i know it is there
when i updated to rev 236

EDIT: just to be clear not because i am a freak, although that is debatable
i read the changelog under /compiz which is the David Reveman changelog
and i read the /compiz/debian changelog which is Quinns updates
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter1TX, are you running 9999 or 0.0.13.0-r1? If the former, you're getting the CVS checkout and wouldn't run into this.

I haven't been able to use current CVS compiz since window shading was introduced as I have no window decorations with it, so I was trying out the packaged release to see if I get the same problem.
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
Jupiter1TX, are you running 9999 or 0.0.13.0-r1? If the former, you're getting the CVS checkout and wouldn't run into this.

I haven't been able to use current CVS compiz since window shading was introduced as I have no window decorations with it, so I was trying out the packaged release to see if I get the same problem.

you were right on my friend i have been using 9999
just tried 0.0.13.0-r1 as i am always happy to help you sternklang

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../debian/changelog', needed by `quinn.h'. Stop.

!!! ERROR: x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1527: Called dyn_compile
ebuild.sh, line 931: Called src_compile
compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1.ebuild, line 53: Called gnome2_src_compile '--with-gl-libs=-Wl,-R/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ -L/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ -lGL' '--enable-gnome' '--enable-libsvg-cairo' '--disable-kde'
gnome2.eclass, line 58: Called die
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, same error. :? Thanks very much for checking though.

I only hope I get some response to my question about the window decoration problem on the compiz mailing list. It happens with vanilla fdo CVS as well as quinnstorm, and I'm afraid it's going to be a Gnome 2.15 issue and will go on the back burner until we're months closer to the next Gnome release. Man I'm going to be bummed if I have to give up my 3D eye candy for a few months!
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liono wrote:
I've started having a rather odd problem. I run KDE on xgl, but recently some of my kde startup programs have been crashing xgl (ie. the windows all stop responding, but I can still go onto the console and kill everything manually).

Similar problem here :cry: after a recent svn up and emerge -u xgl compiz-vanilla.
kde apps get Xgl cpu usage at 100% and for some time system stops responding, after 30 secs or so the application starts and cpu usage is normal again. I tried both kdm (which i was using before the update) and gdm. Same problem. It has to do with kde apps like konsole, konqueror,etc.

my /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:
Code:

ServerVTs=-7
StaticServers=:0
#StaticServers=:1
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/Xgl -br -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv
ServerTimeout=30

and /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xstartup:

Code:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib compiz --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scale move resize place switcher trailfocus water &
sleep 3
gnome-window-decorator &

(running compiz as a root).

Its strange this configuration worked great before the upgrate.

Current versions:

Code:
hydra portage-xgl # emerge -va xgl compiz-vanilla

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_p20060606  USE="ipv6 -debug -mmx -xinerama" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-wm/compiz-vanilla-0.0.11_p20060606  USE="gnome kde svg" 0 kB [2]

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/local/portage
 [2] /usr/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl

pliz help me cause this situation is trushing apps that i use all the time... :cry: :cry:

EDIT: i also noticed that root can run all apps without this crappy problem. So this has to be some config problem :?: :?:
Are there any logs i can see whats happening??
Also:
Code:
glxinfo |grep direct

Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
direct rendering: No

is this normal?? :?
Liono
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have just updated to the CVS version of compiz, and at least amarok seems to be running fine now. Many other programs such as kmix still seem to crash Xgl though. At least I can listen to music now though!
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: kde apps give xgl 100% cpu usage Reply with quote

ok, i figured (by eliminating one by one) that the plugin that causes the trouble is switcher... :evil:
So, disabling it gives me at least a working environment. Can somebody that has no problem with kde and the latest xgl-compiz post the order he has the plugins in gconf-editor (apps->compiz->general->allscreens->options->active_plugins). I had the order described in the wiki but switcher seems to be buggy with kde :cry: :cry:

I hope someone has a solution cause i dont want to downgrade. If u need any info pliz tell me.
sp0de
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for anyone having trouble with compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1 & xgl-coffee 236 here is a fix that got it to compile on my box.

copy this file to <your_overlay_dir>/xgl-coffee/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/

compizfix.patch

and add this line to <your_overlay_dir>/xgl-coffee/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1.ebuild
Code:
epatch "${FILESDIR}/compizfix.patch"
immediately after this line
Code:
#   epatch "${FILESDIR}/compiz-intel-copy-pixel-issue-workaround-1.diff"
Then run
Code:
ebuild compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1.ebuild digest
in the directory <your_overlay_dir>/xgl-coffee/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/ ... as root

.... definately not for the faint of heart, but if you need it going now (like i did ;)) go for it

Last edited by sp0de on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
BlackBelt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sp0de thanks for the patch.

I have the follow troblue:

Quote:
>>> Unpacking compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1/work
* Fixing OMF Makefiles ... [ ok ] * Applying compizfix.patch ...

* Failed Patch: compizfix.patch !
* ( /usr/local/overlays/xgl-coffee/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/compizfix.patch )
* Include in your bugreport the contents of:
* /var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1/temp/compizfix.patch-9924.out

!!! ERROR: x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1539: Called dyn_unpack
ebuild.sh, line 711: Called src_unpack
compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1.ebuild, line 49: Called epatch '/usr/local/overlays/xgl-coffee/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/compizfix.patch'
eutils.eclass, line 333: Called die

!!! Failed Patch: compizfix.patch!
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

!!! This ebuild is from an overlay: '/usr/local/overlays/xgl-coffee'

how can I fix?

Charles Bukowski
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: kde apps give xgl 100% cpu usage Reply with quote

TemplarKnight wrote:
ok, i figured (by eliminating one by one) that the plugin that causes the trouble is switcher... :evil:
So, disabling it gives me at least a working environment. Can somebody that has no problem with kde and the latest xgl-compiz post the order he has the plugins in gconf-editor (apps->compiz->general->allscreens->options->active_plugins). I had the order described in the wiki but switcher seems to be buggy with kde :cry: :cry:

I hope someone has a solution cause i dont want to downgrade. If u need any info pliz tell me.

Had the same problem recently, and removing switcher did it for me too, haven't had time to do any other experimentation though
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding plugin order etc I discovered some nice info over at the ubuntu wiki, here is the link to the relavant section.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompositeManager/ConfiguringCompiz

I stuck switcher back in and it seems to be behaving now, I also upgraded my compiz-quinstorm to the latest cvs.
sp0de
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp0de wrote:
for anyone having trouble with compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1 & xgl-coffee 236 here is a fix that got it to compile on my box.

copy this file to <your_overlay_dir>/xgl-coffee/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/

compizfix.patch

and add this line to <your_overlay_dir>/xgl-coffee/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1.ebuild
Code:
epatch "${FILESDIR}/compizfix.patch"
immediately after this line
Code:
#   epatch "${FILESDIR}/compiz-intel-copy-pixel-issue-workaround-1.diff"
Then run
Code:
ebuild compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1.ebuild digest
in the directory <your_overlay_dir>/xgl-coffee/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/ ... as root

.... definately not for the faint of heart, but if you need it going now (like i did ;)) go for it

woah I was going to edit my earlier post and quoted myself instead.... anyway I think it was a problem with the formating of the patch in the forums I have provided a link to it instead in this post . It should work now BlackBelt ;) sp0de -> sleep

Last edited by sp0de on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
faugusztin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral_Trigger_Happy wrote:
Regarding plugin order etc I discovered some nice info over at the ubuntu wiki, here is the link to the relavant section.

I stuck switcher back in and it seems to be behaving now, I also upgraded my compiz-quinstorm to the latest cvs.

Can you say which option helps to "kill" that 100% CPU ussage bug ?
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faugusztin wrote:

I can't say for sure, but I don't think I changed the order that much, I think the new compiz-quinnstorm update (compiz-quinnstorm-999 from the overlay, after clearing the cvs folder in the distfiles dir) made the biggest difference.
BlackBelt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: compiz color Reply with quote

Is it possible change di default color of title bar's?

thanks

Charles Bukowski
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faugusztin wrote:

I can't say for sure, but I don't think I changed the order that much, I think the new compiz-quinnstorm update (compiz-quinnstorm-999 from the overlay, after clearing the cvs folder in the distfiles dir) made the biggest difference.

The order didn't make any difference (why can't i add miniwin, transset, state, trailfocus and bs plugins?? Aren't they supporded from compiz-vanilla or something? ).

I guess i'll try quinnstorm then :? . Emerging latest version right now, will be back with more details... :arrow:

Code:
hydra portage-xgl # emerge -av xgl compiz-quinnstorm

[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_p20060606  USE="ipv6 -debug -mmx -xinerama" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild  N    ] media-libs/glew-1.3.3  324 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.0-r1  USE="gnome svg -debug" 533 kB [2]
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... what is wrong with dbus and quinnstorm? :?:

Code:

hydra ~ # /etc/init.d/dbus start
 * Starting D-BUS system messagebus ...                                                     [ ok ]
hydra ~ # LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ DISPLAY=:1 compiz --replace gconf
compiz: Connection Error (Unable to determine the address of the message bus)
compiz: Couldn't initiate D-BUS connection
compiz: Disabling D-BUS Service
Finishing dbusSegmentation fault

compiz doesn't load at all...
I dont have dbus in my use flags, but have dbus (and ivman) installed.

Code:

hydra ~ # emerge -va dbus ivman

[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/dbus-0.60-r4  USE="X doc gtk python qt -debug -gcj -mono -xml" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/ivman-0.6.8  USE="-debug" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] 
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40

Jump to: