Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XGL (Part 4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 38, 39, 40  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HecHacker1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compiz is segfaulting? try recompiling it with safe and sane flags.
BlackBelt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
safe and sane flags

what does safe and sane means?

Charles Bukowski
greasy_grasshopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackBelt wrote:
Quote:
safe and sane flags

what does safe and sane means?

It means that you put the flags that were recommended by the Gentoo Handbook for CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in /etc/make.conf and nothing else.

For example: "-02 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=arch" are pretty safe and sane.
(obviously, you don't want to use "arch")
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral_Trigger_Happy wrote:
I'm still getting;
Code:
svn: REPORT request failed on '/xgl-coffee/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: REPORT of '/xgl-coffee/!svn/vcc/default': 400 Bad Request (http://svn.xgl-coffee.org)

Whenever I try to update the overlay, it been like this for most of the week now, has anyone found a solution??

Were there any solutions to this problem?

I'm trying to follow the wiki howto and get the same error.
As of April 2006 - Athlon64 X2 4200+ 1GB RAM - amd64-2006.0 profiled system with portage 2.1_preX, ck-sources-2.6.16, glibc-2.4-r1 (overlay w/-Bdirect&-hashvals), binutils-2.16.91.0.6 (overlay), gcc-4.1, Xorg 7
sixshot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erg... erm, probably a FAQ but I haven't been able to find it easily documented on the wiki... how does one turn off that edge rotating thing? It gets absolutely annoying (to me anyway) when I have a very wide window and the screen rotates on me when I move the mouse around. :)
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a FAQ, but: in gconf-editor, go to /apps/compiz/plugins/rotate/screen0/options and uncheck edge_flip.

There's an excellent Compiz page on the Ubuntu Wiki that lists what the various configuration options are for the plugins. I think this was setup by Quinn before she started the Compiz Forums.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackBelt wrote:
what does it mean?
Quote:
[2]- Segmentation fault LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ DISPLAY=:1 compiz gconf

It would be helpful if you could post the output of "emerge --info".
sixshot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that's odd... the edge_flip option wasn't created? I probably have missed something during the compiz upgrade.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixshot wrote:
well that's odd... the edge_flip option wasn't created?

Take a look at this thread -- it may be that when you updated compiz at some point you got a version that didn't import the new schemas, so following the advice in the thread may work for you. Or perhaps just do an install of the latest version?
scrop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: DPMS not active with Xgl? Reply with quote

Anyone have DPMS not blanking thier screen anymore despite the proper timeout settings in xorg.conf?
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is CoffeeBuzz's Subversion repository down? I haven't been able to checkout in over a week.
As of April 2006 - Athlon64 X2 4200+ 1GB RAM - amd64-2006.0 profiled system with portage 2.1_preX, ck-sources-2.6.16, glibc-2.4-r1 (overlay w/-Bdirect&-hashvals), binutils-2.16.91.0.6 (overlay), gcc-4.1, Xorg 7
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joffer wrote:
I'm still getting;
Code:
svn: REPORT request failed on '/xgl-coffee/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: REPORT of '/xgl-coffee/!svn/vcc/default': 400 Bad Request (http://svn.xgl-coffee.org)

Whenever I try to update the overlay, it been like this for most of the week now, has anyone found a solution??

Were there any solutions to this problem?

I'm trying to follow the wiki howto and get the same error.

Joffer wrote:
Is CoffeeBuzz's Subversion repository down? I haven't been able to checkout in over a week.

Oh well.. I just figured it out. I turned off the transparent proxy on my router/firewall (ipcop) and now it worked. Found the tip here: http://forums.xgl-coffee.org/viewtopic.php?t=58

Is there another way than to turn off the transparent proxy? I like to have the proxy enabled.
sixshot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
sixshot wrote:
well that's odd... the edge_flip option wasn't created?

Take a look at this thread -- it may be that when you updated compiz at some point you got a version that didn't import the new schemas, so following the advice in the thread may work for you. Or perhaps just do an install of the latest version?

I ended up manually creating the option and setting it there. But thanks for the heads-up on the missing schema install and pointing out the option. I guess I had bad timing when I was upgrading compiz. Now if I can just permanently disable Xgl's Shift-Backspace blasphemy w/o having to do xmodmap every time... heh. So many questions!
Master_d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm pretty close to getting this up and running but I need a little help now .....
I have a problem getting gdm up and running. it tries to start but then it dumps me to blue screen and says that "gdm couldn't execute command"... the command it lists is

Code:
command=Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv

except it actually has two :1's if that makes any sense :P
I do not have two :1's in gdm.conf
here is the related lines from gdm.conf

Code:
# Definition of the standard X server.
[server-Standard]
name=Xgl
# was Xgl :1
flexible=true
chooser=false
handled=true
priority=0

I'm not sure but I'm under the impression that you cannot start xgl without starting gdm first which is a change for me since I usually would startx with 'startx' from the command line. If I use the startxgl script on the command line I get into X with no direct redering and everything is really slow and artifacts are left behind when you move windows around and it's easy to crash. Anyway that's just a sidenote my main problem is getting gdm up and running. I have a Geforce4 440 and I do get direct rendering when I use the regular 'startx' script. Please help me out with this I think I am really close :)

edit: another note... I can start Xgl in a window when I am in X by executing the appropriate commands and all the compiz effects work in that window I just can't login "for real"
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus is all messed up. Anyone else have this problem? When I click on a window the one on the "bottom" behind it is clicked and brought to the front. Very annoying.

How can we fix it?
scrop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: DPMS not active with Xgl? Reply with quote

scrop wrote:
Anyone have DPMS not blanking thier screen anymore despite the proper timeout settings in xorg.conf?

I'm getting a big white X.org X logo on my screen instead of blanking, not sure why... Any ideas?
Arragon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is already discussed elsewhere but the search didn't return anything usefull for me, so here is my problem:
I followed the Gentoo-Wiki HowTo to setup Xgl and it worked all well, but my keyboard config which is working under normal X won't run with Xgl.
Here is the appropriate part from my xorg.conf:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Option "XkbModel" "logicdo"
        Option "XkbLayout" "de,ru"
        Option "XkbOptions" "grp:menu_toggle,grp_led:scroll,caps:shift,altwin:super_win,eurosign:e"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Xgl is started using KDM; here are my kdmrc and Xstartup:
/usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/Xgl -br -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv -bestRefresh

/usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xstartup:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib compiz --refresh-rate 75 --replace gconf &
sleep 3
gnome-window-decorator &

So after I logged into KDE (as normal user) I couldn't even use the third level or any key (such as ~ or \ on german keyboard), but a friend told me I should execute
Code:
xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.de
after I log in. That's why I made a new shortcut in ~/.kde/Autostart (is there a better way?), but still Super key, euro sign and switching the keyboard layout aren't working.

Any ideas?
joolz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffebuzz, can you include this xinerama patch in your xgl ebuild?

http://duncanthrax.net/temp/xgl-xinerama.patch

im using it and it works realy well.
lieut_data
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master_d wrote:
well I'm pretty close to getting this up and running but I need a little help now .....
I have a problem getting gdm up and running. it tries to start but then it dumps me to blue screen and says that "gdm couldn't execute command"... the command it lists is

Code:

I believe I had this problem too, and solved it by specifying the full path to Xgl:

Code:
command=/usr/bin/Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joolz wrote:

What exactly does the Xinerama patch do?
Before I started using Xgl I was using ATI's drivers with the inbuilt Xinerama support (when they finally put it in) and dual head with KDE and it was good. But now with Xgl I am back to one monitor again because Xgl will crash if I try to use the Dual head setup in my Xorg.conf.

Does this patch allow Xgl to start when the Xorg server is exporting Xinerama? if it does I want to try it out so I can get some form of Dual monitors back while keeping Xgl and Compiz
Master_d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lieut_data wrote:

I believe I had this problem too, and solved it by specifying the full path to Xgl:

Code:
command=/usr/bin/Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv

thank you sir!... I got into X with that but there is no direct rendering and there are artifacts all over the place and no window borders so Iàm gonna recompile everything with -O2 cxx flags and see if that fixes anything.
joolz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joolz wrote:

What exactly does the Xinerama patch do?
Before I started using Xgl I was using ATI's drivers with the inbuilt Xinerama support (when they finally put it in) and dual head with KDE and it was good. But now with Xgl I am back to one monitor again because Xgl will crash if I try to use the Dual head setup in my Xorg.conf.

Does this patch allow Xgl to start when the Xorg server is exporting Xinerama? if it does I want to try it out so I can get some form of Dual monitors back while keeping Xgl and Compiz

I dont know about ATI, i use Nvidias buildin Xinerama (twinview), and KDE. I can use two monitors without the patch, but the server don't report xinerma stuff, that means KDM login screen is shown between both screens, all movies in mplayer and xine is streteched, the desktop background have the wrong proportions, and so on. With the patch applied all that stuff works. Ofcourse compiz isnt xinerama aware yet so if you maximize a window it will maximeze over both screens, but its a start.
etx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REJOICE!!!

I found a fix for the hardlocking on ATI chipsets and thus far it seems to be working!

Code:
Section "Device"
       Identifier  "ATI Graphics Adapter 0"
       Driver      "fglrx"
       Option      "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
       [b]Option      "KernelModuleParm" "agplock=0"[/b]
       BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
     EndSection

Found it at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xgl

I'm so freaking excited. :o
kornshell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xamindar wrote:
Focus is all messed up. Anyone else have this problem? When I click on a window the one on the "bottom" behind it is clicked and brought to the front. Very annoying.

How can we fix it?

I was experiencing the same thing until I updated to the lattest revision. I can't tell for sure if it's fixed or not, but so far I've had no problems.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xgl seems to work finally.. but of course not without any problems.. Not sure what you call it, but when I do ALT+TAB to change applications I get the nice preview of the app and it looks good, but when I'm chosen the app I want to use (have in foreground) the "ALT+TAB Window" keeps staying visible on top. It's like an overlay window, it's just in the way graphically (transparent) and I can click on buttons etc underneath it.. but I do want it gone when I've chosen my app. Is this a known bug? How can I get it to go away when I let go of ALT+TAB?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 11 of 40

Jump to: