Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XGL (Part 4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 38, 39, 40  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmosMutke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GLXFBConfig errors and LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. Reply with quote

billfrith wrote:
Dear All

Sorry if this duplicates what someone else has already said or is just not relevant. I was having problems with GLXFBConfig errors on recent versions of compiz, and had to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, turned out I had a stale compiz binary in /usr/local/bin Duh!!. No idea how it got there, probably something stupid I did. Deleting it fixed all problems.

Can you post more detailed info on this procedure? How did you know which file it was? Or did you delete all the files and remerge some packages. This error is fairly common with a seemingly wide range of causes. The more we can document, the better.
AmosMutke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker2PC wrote:
It doesn't crash. I can see it with "ps ax":

Code:
bash-2.05b$ Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv&
[1] 29127
bash-2.05b$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ DISPLAY=:1 compiz gconf
compiz: Couldn't open display :1
bash-2.05b$ ps ax|grep Xgl
29127 pts/6    S      0:00 Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv
29228 pts/6    S+     0:00 grep Xgl
bash-2.05b$

I don't know whats the problem with my display variable, if I want to start e17 or e16:

Code:
bash-2.05b$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ DISPLAY=:1 enlightenment-0.17
DYNAMIC DETERMINED PREFIX: /usr
_______                     _______
|:::::| Enlightenment Error |:::::|
~~~~~~~                     ~~~~~~~
Enlightenment cannot initialize its X connection.
Have you set your DISPLAY variable?
E17: Begin shutdown procedure!
bash-2.05b$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ DISPLAY=:1 enlightenment       
Enlightenment cannot connect to the display nominated by
your shell's DISPLAY environment variable. You may set this
variable to indicate which display name Enlightenment is to
connect to. It may be that you do not have an Xserver already
running to serve that Display connection, or that you do not
have permission to connect to that display. Please make sure
all is correct before trying again. Run an Xserver by running
xdm or startx first, or contact your local system
administrator, or Xserver vendor, or read the X, xdm and
startx manual pages before proceeding.
bash-2.05b$

Well.. atleast it seems that we've narrowed it down to being a problem with xorg or xgl. Also, you don't need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for other window managers.. in fact, I think that nesl247 said compiz no longer requires it either.

Let's try to see where the "cannot connect to display" error is coming from. Can you start plain old xorg with a window manager? Do you know what you did before this error started?
I also have another thought, but probably unlikely. It _might_ be that one of the programs is or isn't compiled with ipv6 support while the rest of your system uses the other protocol. But then I would expect you to see an error about the protocol, but then again.. you never know.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought e17 didn't support xgl? That and I think it is asking for you to specify DISPLAY=:0.. If that doesn't work, I think it is the lack of support with xgl.. (Read something about it a while ago, I am probably wrong though)
reflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, enlightenment doesn't have support for xgl, and i don't believe they ever will.

as for myself, i setup entranced to work with xgl, with no luck. xgl seems to start, it gives me the little wristwatch icon, wait for about 30s and it turns into an x. still get the usual gray background. i still can't seem to start xgl from tty, only from embedded xterms, wondering if anyone else has had this problem or maybe has some insight?
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reflex wrote:
no, enlightenment doesn't have support for xgl, and i don't believe they ever will.

as for myself, i setup entranced to work with xgl, with no luck. xgl seems to start, it gives me the little wristwatch icon, wait for about 30s and it turns into an x. still get the usual gray background. i still can't seem to start xgl from tty, only from embedded xterms, wondering if anyone else has had this problem or maybe has some insight?

take a look at this thread on compiz forum and see if some of this info can help you
http://compiz.net/viewtopic.php?id=392
reflex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it seems iàve got it all figured out. except for the fact that i now have a de keyboard, but i know how to fix that.

all i did was change the GdmXservertimeout to 60, apparently 25 isnàt enough.

thanks for your help everyone! youàve made someoneàs day :D
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.14 and gset-compiz are now located on the new SRC_URI... From revision 212 and forward, things will be located at http://distfiles.xgl-coffee.org which all new ebuilds will use. As I said, c-q and g-q are now usable without emailing me for the final, so happy merging!
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, nesl247!

One problem though:
Code:
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/gset-compiz-0.3.3-r1 ...
/usr/local/xgl-coffee/x11-misc/gset-compiz/gset-compiz-0.3.3-r1.ebuild: line 24: cd: /var/tmp/portage/gset-compiz-0.3.3-r1/work/gset-compiz-0.3.3: No such file or directory

!!! ERROR: x11-misc/gset-compiz-0.3.3-r1 failed.

The src directory created by the ebuild is /var/tmp/portage/gset-compiz-0.3.3-r1/work/gset-compiz/ instead.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on a minute while I smack myself...

Ok fixed.. I have to repackage it otherwise it doesn't work properly, and I forgot to include the version in the dir name. This is what I get for doing it so late at night..

Edit: Don't forget to rm /usr/portage/distfiles/gset-compiz-0.3.3-r1.tar.bz2 first otherwise it won't redownload.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks, but it does need a new digest to match the new file size. :wink:
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, why doesn't portage ever do anything nicely!

Svn up, and try it again.. It unpacked for me.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already re-digested it, I just wanted to let you know before someone else ran into it. Rev 214 works fine.

Thanks again to you and CoffeeBuzz for all your work on this, it's much appreciated!
eitan1989
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely thanks. Between the time my auto-updates ran and when I saw that the verification had failed, you had already fixed the digest.
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what the heck. So now trunk is more up to date than testing ? I think it would be better to remove one of those again. Since the day coffeebuzz created the two branches always either of them had newer ebuilds and its not funny too always switch between them.
billfrith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: GLXFBConfig errors and LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. Reply with quote

AmosMutke wrote:
billfrith wrote:
Dear All

Sorry if this duplicates what someone else has already said or is just not relevant. I was having problems with GLXFBConfig errors on recent versions of compiz, and had to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, turned out I had a stale compiz binary in /usr/local/bin Duh!!. No idea how it got there, probably something stupid I did. Deleting it fixed all problems.

Can you post more detailed info on this procedure? How did you know which file it was? Or did you delete all the files and remerge some packages. This error is fairly common with a seemingly wide range of causes. The more we can document, the better.

Sure

Code:
which -a compiz

showed two versions
/usr/bin/compiz & /usr/local/bin/compiz

I just deleted the older one, the problem is that my default path (and everyone's I think) searches /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin. Hence the updates to compiz weren't being seen, since they went in /usr/bin.

I still don't know how /usr/local/bin/compiz got there.
saphear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all,
first: i got to admit, i didnt read all of the 28 pages of this topic and not everything of the other 3 topics..would take me ages :D

i got two probably and hopefully easy questions:

situation: i played around with xgl now the second time, running it on a ~amd64 system...first time i had some installing problems, fixed them and it worked but i didnt keep playing. this time i had no problems at all, i followed the wiki and it runs fine.

question1: when i start xgl rootless, i can start applications simply with DISPLAY=:1 application ..using the startxgl script from the wiki, it starts fine and even shows me a desktop with some icons of my harddrives etc, but i dont have any menu or somekind of terminal...how do i get some kind of menu?

question2: rootless, i can start xgl as a user, including the applications etc...with startxgl i cant, gives me an error. any ideas?
*edit*: second question aint a question anymore =)
AmosMutke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
I thought e17 didn't support xgl? That and I think it is asking for you to specify DISPLAY=:0.. If that doesn't work, I think it is the lack of support with xgl.. (Read something about it a while ago, I am probably wrong though)

The purpose was to see if another window manager worked. Maybe the problems isn't compiz. I wanted to see if all window managers, or even applications for that matter, have trouble connecting.

After I installed everything on my computer for the first time, compiz wouldn't load, but I could still start other applications in Xgl. without a window manager, you don't get window decorations, but you can still see the application window. And I was able to start fluxbox in Xgl. Supported or not, it showed that Xgl seemed to be fine and that my problem was compiz or one of it's dependancies.

If enligtnment doesn't run in Xgl, then it's not a good test. I don't have it installed so I can't test it myself.
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg-7.1 is out, it has no XGL inside but AIGLX.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure? I thought it had XGL but disabled by default in ./configure?
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:

There's no mention about XGL here,
but there's aiglx here
(Accelerated Indirect GLX : aiglx)
hiroki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:

that's what i thought, too.. until i just read the news on a german website, and they are also only mentioning AIGLX, but not XGL. :?
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that just good? Doesn't AIGLX integrated in X mean that we can just use that and use Compiz on top of it, without having to compile/install Xgl and running a separate X server. Or does AIGLX have some major drawbacks in comparison to Xgl? I mean it's still Compiz providing the cool effects and X server just provides the hardware acceleration.

Edit
After reading up a little bit on Xgl, AIGLX, Compiz and Metacity my point of view is that Xgl and Compiz are already dead projects. The users like it because it has all these cool things, but they only know about it because of the big publicity. With AIGLX being developed with X and integrated in it, it has more chance of long term success. Also Metacity is already a full window and composting manager and compiz started from ground up so Metacity has more change of long term success also (here ;-)). And compiz doesn't work well with KDE (yet?) so I bet KDE is developing something seperate also (like with kompmgr).

But on the other hand, I'm just one of those users too so I have no knowledge at all of underlying technologies and stuff like that. Just pretend I'm a random ranter.

Edit2
He says it better than me: http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=178
oc666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GLX Problem Reply with quote

oc666 wrote:
oc666 wrote:
I have problem little bit diffrent from what i read here.
I did exactly the directions in the guide & when i run the command:
Code:

i get the next line:
Code:
compiz: Couldn't bind redirected window 0x60000e to texture

the diffrence from the other issues is that i don't see the line:
Code:
compiz: pixmap 0x200043 can't be bound to texture

Also, in my problem I see blue screen & the windows in white boxes, like this: http://oc666.dyndns.org/Glx_Problem.png
Bt"w, I have GeForce4 MX 440.

I'm think i revealed what cause the problem, but I don't know how to fix it.
when I do
Code:
glxinfo | grep GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
the output is:
Code:
    GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle,
But when I do
Code:
DISPLAY=:1 glxinfo | grep GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
no output for that command.
I guess that I need to enable this option to resolve that problem.
Somebody have a suggestions?

More details about packages versions:
compiz-vanilla 0.0.9_p20060416
mesa 6.5.1_alpha20060418
xorg-x11 7.01-r1 (Testing)
xgl 0.0.1_p20060418
nvidia-glx 1.0.8756 (Testing)
nvidia-kernel 1.0.8756 (Testing)
cairo 1.1.1_p20060323
glitz 0.5.5_p20060323
pango 1.10.3 (Stable)
gtk+ 2.8.12 (Stable)
glproto 1.4.7 (Testing)
gconf-editor 2.12.1 (Stable)
subversion 1.2.3-r2 (Stable)
Also, I'm not using trunk.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t0maz wrote:
Isn't that just good? Doesn't AIGLX integrated in X mean that we can just use that and use Compiz on top of it, without having to compile/install Xgl and running a separate X server. Or does AIGLX have some major drawbacks in comparison to Xgl?

AIGLX requires support in the video drivers, so until NVidia and ATI have drivers that support it the only people who can run AIGLX are those running open source drivers. Yet another reason why closed-source binary drivers suck.

Beyond that, the second biggest business distro, Novell SuSE 10.1, ships with XGL/Compiz.

Matteo Azzali wrote:
Xorg-7.1 is out, it has no XGL inside but AIGLX.

Uh, no. Just to check I downloaded the xorg-server-X11R7.1-1.1.0 tarball and took a quick look: changelog has Xgl included and configure has --enable-xgl and --enable-xglx choices. It's interesting that the README mentions AIGLX and not XGL, must be some interesting politics going on there. :wink:
lumax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compiled XGL and now it's running, but it doesn't like my alt key. I can use the alt key in combination with tab (for switching windows), F4 (for closing windows) and ctrl + arrow key (for switching virtual desktops), but other shortcuts don't work and I can't use the key in programs (for example for the menu in many programs or switching tabs in irssi). Any ideas how to solve this problem?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 28 of 40

Jump to: