Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
"Virtual D-VHS"(1394/FireWire capture) equivalent for Linux?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregp01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: "Virtual D-VHS"(1394/FireWire capture) equivalent Reply with quote

Alas, Google has failed me: is there any software for Linux to record IEEE 1394 (FireWire) video? I know there are programs for both Mac OS X and Windows XP that emulate a D-VHS recorder, and MythTV claims to be able to do it (see post about 0.17 release). Are there any stand-alone programs that will work for this purpose? Or am I stuck with spending hours tweaking MythTV only to give up without even knowing what's wrong? I'm trying to capture from a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD, in case that helps. Thanks in advance for any help.
JeliJami
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried kino?
gregp01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately, Kino didn't work. It displayed an error message in the status bar when I tried to use the raw1394 driver: "A/V Cam not attached or turned off?" (or very similar). With the DV1394 driver, there was no error but clicking the "Capture" button resulting in a countdown while Kino waited for me to press "Play" on my camera (my DVR was already playing). In both cases dmesg clearly showed that a FireWire device had been attached, though no identifying information was shown. I forgot to save the dmesg output before rebooting, though... :oops:

Unfortunately, this leaves me back where I started. When I get another chance to screw around with this for awhile, I'll see if I can get my hands on Win XP drivers for the 8300HD and see if that works...

Anyone know of any other Linux programs which might potentially work?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: