Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Has anyone actually succeeded with the GUI installer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slashes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Has anyone actually succeeded with the GUI installer? Reply with quote

I tried the GUI installer on the new 2006.0 LiveCD and was suprised to get quite far. Originally I made my /boot /swap and / partitions first with qtparted with a KNOPPIX LiveCD, but the gentoo installer complained that it couldn't write to the partitions. So then I deleted the partitions with qtparted in KNOPPIX, left them as unallocated space and used the gentoo GUI installer to set my partition sizes. Everything went smoothly until I started to emerge my packages. I am installing this on a separate USB enclosure drive on my dell inspiron 6000 laptop. I've already managed to install a working 2005.1 stage 3 on a working computer I have at home last year.

I had 273 additional packages that needed to be installed and was surprised that it got up to about 213/273 before it crashed while emerging a kde package. I figured after 29 hours of compling that all can't be lost. So it tired to boot from it. Originally GRUB gave me error 17 telling me it couldn't mount the partition, but I mangaged to edit the root line in grub.conf and fixed it. So after that I tried to boot from it again, and hey, it actually brought me to a command line to login. I guess all I need to do now is just finish emerging other packages and select a desktop environment to work from. I also need to get my ethernet card working and edit my fstab to have it read my windows xp partition, but those things should be easy to fix and do.

These are my experiences so far with the GUI installer, and I'm wondering if anyone has actually SUCESSFULLY installed a working gentoo environment using the GUI installer.

//edit

I just realized i posted this in the wrong forum. Please move this
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to install a bootable base system with the livecd in my testing lab... A fully completed install with kde I'm yet to try. Perhaps try installing base with the livecd then continue from console.
Compile long and Prosper!
protex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed via the GUI installer 2 months ago and I am on that same install. Everything went flawless for me.

Desktop --> AMD Athlon XP 2600+@2GHZ, 1024mb DDR, BFG GeForce 6600GT OC, Gentoo (Emission guide)
Server --> AMD Duron 1300, 384mb, Gentoo Hardened
Laptop --> Intel Pentium II@399MHZ, 64mb, Gentoo
dnamroud
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ali3nx,
just install a base system with the livecd and than use the console to install other applications...

I got many errors while installing some packages from the livecd...

dany
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: