View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Symbian bluetooth action in portage! Reply with quote

UPDATED: 13-07-2004

Tested on 2.6.3 - 2.6.7. 2.4.X should also work

I now have a nice Siemens SX1, and can once again start hacking on this project. Ive removed old info in this document and rewritten some so it should make more sence now.

Hello fellow hackers,

Finally got some time to "waste", and decided to whip up some Symbian bluetooth action for gentoo.

First things first - this is the hardware you need:

* A Symbian device (Nokia 3650 / Nokia 76X0 / Nokia N-Gage / Nokia 92X0 / Ericsson P800 / Siemens SX1 etc)
    * A bluetooth device supported by linux or IrDA receiver supported by linux or perhaps a serial cabel
    * Of course you need a computer running linux of some kind too

On to the software part - this is what you need from outside portage:

Install the following from portage:

bluez-libs
    bluez-pan
    bluez-sdp
    bluez-utils

Quote:

DO NOT INSTALL bluez-kernel under _ANY_ circumstances. It is forbidden and very very very bad thing (TM) to do. If you want to know why, take a look at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18571 This is why we need to patch our kernel in the first place :-)

This has been deprecated info for some time now, as the latest gentoo and vanilla kernels have the latest bluez support. Also the bluez-kernel is masked, so people shouldnt end up with it anyway.

Relevant kernel config:
Code:

% modprobe config;cat /proc/config|less
(...)
CONFIG_BLUEZ=m
CONFIG_BLUEZ_L2CAP=m
CONFIG_BLUEZ_SCO=m
CONFIG_BLUEZ_RFCOMM=m
CONFIG_BLUEZ_RFCOMM_TTY=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_BNEP=m
CONFIG_BLUEZ_BNEP_MC_FILTER=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_BNEP_PROTO_FILTER=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUSB=m
(...)

Another very very very bad thing (TM) to do, is compile in support for bluetooth under the USB section. Contrary to what you'd think, you must _NOT_ do this. If you already have it as a module (bluetooth.o), you have to prevent it from loading by adding for example:
Code:

alias bluetooth off

to /etc/modules.d/aliases - after the kernel is in place and up and running, its time to test the bluetooth adapter. I use a _very_ cheap MSI bluetooth usb dongle and its working like a charm. The MSI bluetooth dongle exist both in a internal version and external version. The internal version only works on MSI motherboards, and the external one works on any USB port. Refer to FAQ at bluez.sourceforge.net if you have trouble setting the bluetooth adapter up. I just have to load the modules:
Code:

modprobe bluez
modprobe hci_usb,

and its up and running. You bring the bluetooth network up with the command:
Code:

hciconfig hci0 up

And you scan for devices with the commands:
Code:

hcitool scan
or
hcitool inq

If bluetooth is enabled on your device, and it is set to be visible on the network, you should see it listed with the above commands, eg. something like this:

Code:

%hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX       Siemens SX1

Please note that the bluetooth adress has been scrambled in the above example...

Now install the p3nfsd program:
Code:

tar zxvf p3nfsd-5.12.tar.gz
cd p3nfsd-5.12
./configure
make
make install

or

Code:

rpm -ivh p3nfsd-5.12.rpm --nodeps

Actually, you can just grab the rpm file also and install this if you got the rpm tools :-) (Whatever happened to that p3nfsd ebuild I submitted? It havent surfaced in portage yet. Gonna have a look-see about this...)

If you are still awake, its perhaps comforting to know that you are soon finished 8-) Ok, with p3nfsd in place, you need to install the nfsclient on your handheld Symbian device. Several different nfsclients are included in the p3nfsd package (the files with the .sis extension), so choose the correct one for your Symbian device. Refer to the readme's in the p3nfsd package. (Im not sure about this, but it looks like you do need Windows to install the client on the device - maybe ask a less-educated-friend if you can borrow his windows for 5 min and install the client ;-) )

Ok, the last thing which needs to be installed, is these two other scripts Ive written:

The first one goes in /etc/conf.d/ and is called symbian:
Code:

# Specify where in the file system you want your
# device to be mounted. The default is /mnt/psion,
# and does NOT need to be specified.
#MOUNTDIR="/mnt/symbian"

# Specify your device BDADDR - this is MANDATORY!
# You can find the device BDADDR by issuing the
# command: 'hcitool inq'
BDADDR="00:00:00:00:00:00"

# Specify what channel you want to use - this is MANDATORY!
# Default for Nokia 3650 / Nokia 7650 / Nokia N-Gage is channel 3
# Default for Ericsson P800 is channel 4
# Default for newer series60 (Siemens SX1, Nokia 7650) is channel 11
CHANNEL="11"

# Specify what terminal type to use - this is MANDATORY!
# Bluetooth is normally /dev/rfcomm0 for 2.4.X and /dev/bluetooth/rfcomm/0 for 2.6.X
# Serial is noramlly /dev/ttyS0
# IrDA is normally /dev/ttyIR0
# DEVTYPE="/dev/bluetooth/rfcomm/0"

# Specify your device type from the selection below - this is MANDATORY!
# EPOC/16 is -series3 / -series3a
# EPOC/32 is -series5
# Nokia 3650 / Nokia 7650 / Nokia N-Gage (SymbianOS 6.0) is -series60
# Nokia 92X0 (SymbianOS 7.0) is -n9210
# Ericsson P800/P900 (SymbianOS 7.0) is -UIQ
#
# {series3, series3a, series5, series60, n9210, p800, p900}
#
DEVICE="series60"

#Not yet used
#PASSWORD=""
#USER=""
#SPEED=""

Of course, you need to set all of these variables to suite your setup. The file should give you enough hints on how to do this correctly.

The other script is also called symbian, and goes into /etc/init.d :
Code:

#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2003 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

#NB! Config is in /etc/conf.d/symbian

depend() {
        need modules portmap
}

checkconfig() {
#       The following two modules should be given an alias in /etc/modules.d/aliases
#       from the symbian ebuild, so they are autoloaded when needed. Perhaps all four...
#       modprobe bluez &> /dev/null
#       modprobe hci_usb &> /dev/null
        modprobe rfcomm &> /dev/null
        modprobe l2cap &> /dev/null

if [ ! -e /proc/bluetooth ] ; then

eerror "Bluetooth not supported by the kernel"
                return 1
        fi

if [ ! -e /proc/bluetooth/rfcomm ] ; then

eerror "Module rfcomm not loaded or compiled into the kernel"
                return 1

fi

if [ ! -e /proc/bluetooth/l2cap ] ; then

eerror "Module l2cap not loaded or compiled into the kernel"
                return 1

fi

if [ -e /etc/conf.d/symbian ]; then

source /etc/conf.d/symbian

else

eerror "/etc/conf.d/symbian is missing"
                return 1

fi

#Replace this with net.hci0 perhaps...
        hciconfig hci0 up
        rfcomm bind $DEVTYPE $BDADDR $CHANNEL
}

start() {
        checkconfig || return 1
        ebegin "Mounting Symbian $DEVICE device on $MOUNTDIR - Please accept the connection on the device"
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/bin/p3nfsd \
                -- -dir $MOUNTDIR -$DEVICE -tty $DEVTYPE
        eend $? "Failed to start the symbian service - Please verify your settings in /etc/conf.d/symbian"
}

stop() {
        # I have to zap the service after its shut down, because
        # start-stop-daemon is retarded :-)
        ebegin "Releasing Symbian device from $MOUNTDIR"
        /bin/ls $MOUNTDIR/exit &> /dev/null
        /etc/init.d/symbian zap &> /dev/null
        rfcomm release all
        eend $? "Failed to stop the symbian service - Maybe NFS is stuck in the mud again"
}

Now, if you (or I hehe) havent made any mistakes, you should be all set. The A4 approach would now be:

* Activate bluetooth on the Symbian device, and make it visible on the network
    * Start the nfsclient on the Symbian device, and activate the correct mode
    * Start the symbian service on your linux box

Ok, correct mode you say? Well, the nfsclient on the Symbian device starts in IR mode, and if you are using that you should be ok.

UPDATE: I now have a laptop with IR set up, and p3nfsd also work over IR. The init symbian script should be rewritten to not just check bluetooth functionality, but also IR if thats selected in the conf symbian file.

To get the nfsclient to swith to bluetooth, you press the joystick on the device or scroll the wheel up 1 notch on the P800. You should see the different modes written to the screen (either IR or bluetooth). After the correct mode is selected, you have 30 seconds to do:
Code:

/etc/init.d/symbian start

To terminate the connection, do:
Code:

/etc/init.d/symbian stop

If everything goes as planned, the Symbian device will ask if you accept the connection - press yes - and thats it! The filesystem on the Symbian device is now mounted over NFS in the mountdir you specified in /etc/conf.d/symbian (remember to create the dir you specify!).

TIP: If you authorize your computer on your device, you can mount the device without accepting the connection. The authorization is done under the bluetooth application on the device.

Ive got _many_ more ideas on how to evolve this project further, but please report problems suggestions etc Feedback is always appreciated :-)

Cheers!

Last edited by Loke on Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
CHerzog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: It works so far but .... Reply with quote

I can allways transfer the first picture, but when I try the second it breaks the transfer at half of the file and in the Dispay of my Nokia7650 I can read sonething like this:

f f f l g g l g g g g g l g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g r r r r g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g > f g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g

When I stop symbian and start again I can copy the next.

Any hints?

Or do you need any more Informations?

Tell me - I tell you.

Christian
CHerzog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: More Informations.... Reply with quote

Now I try to copy all files (cp *.jpg ~) and it works. But when I try to copy with mc or want to view the filesystem with Konqueror I still get the error...
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut'n'paste from one of the readme files from p3nfsd:

Quote:
General notes:

- If the bluetooth connection is terminated, than the p3nfs daemon will terminate too.
- Parallel operations are not supported well (BUG?), so instead of "cp *" try tar, cpio or the like.
- The P800 seems to be an unreliable bluetooth partner.
- The transfer rate often starts with ca 15kB/sec and then drops to 5 kB/sec without any transparent reasons (to be investigated)

The second note explains pretty well what you are experiencing, I guess. I can copy as many files as I like, if follow these suggestions.

Edit: Yes, Ive also seen the konqueror bug - strange. Im currently investigating why this is happening. However p3nfsd doesnt implement a "true" protocol with error-detection, windowing etc. This is, however, something which is planned by the author in versions to come.

The "f f f l g g l g g g g g l g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g r r r r g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g > f g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g " you are seeing on your device is normal. You can press h for help to see what they indicate. Its no problem shifting NFSClient in the background and use the device as normal btw.

Edit2: Now you're supposed to say: WOW! How cool is it mounting my Symbian device under Gentoo!!! :lol:
CHerzog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

You did a great Job!

Christian
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming.
tojo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Symbian bluetooth action in portage! Reply with quote

Loke wrote:
Ive done some modifications to the p3nfsd program, and Im talking to the developer now about implementing them in a new offisial version. I'll tell you later what you need to change, to get the retail version of p3nfsd to work. Im also writing an ebuild for p3nfsd, but due to Makefile difficulties it is taking longer than I first expected. p3nfsd will however surface in portage soon.

Just got my bluetooth working with my nokia 7650. I tried the p3nfs, but it hangs and I can't see any files in the mount point. You told about modifications to p3nfsd program, what modifications have you done?

I use now obexserver and ussp-push programs to transfer files between my nokia and computer. Works great too. I have integrated ussp-push to my kde environment so I can transfer files easily to my nokia by single mouse click :)
mr-simon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this! This is amazing... I can now use my P800 with my laptop. I'd never managed to even get bluetooth working before.

I found I had to change one line in the init srcipt, in the start() function, to:
Code:
                -- -$DEVICE -dir $MOUNTDIR -tty $DEVTYPE

I think it might be because I'm using a slightly later version of p3nfsd? (5.13a) Also, I had to specify $DEVICE as "UIQ" not "p800" as suggested in the comments for conf.d/symbian.

Still, great work! I've also put the .sis files from p3nfsd on my webby at http://www.highlyillogical.org/sis/ and fixed the mime types so that they *should* install automatically. This worked on my P800 at least, although I had to use the built-in browser to download the file, and not Opera. YMMV, but for me it having to dig out a Windoze box.
Hiryu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works with only one minor problem.

If I specify a mount dir, p3nfsd hangs after mounting it (doesn't return to commandline) and is either very unstable (p800 mounted drives disappear) or just crashes completely.

If I use the standard mount dir (/mnt/psion) everything works fine, only if I move a lot of large files it looses the connection. The only way to get around this is to just copy all the files first and then delete them.
mr-simon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I had no problems mounting my P800 in /mnt/moonunit. Are you using the latest version of p3nfsd?

Not tried copying any particularly large files yet, I'm still waiting on a 128mb memory stick. ;)
lotas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having a problem with my MSI Bluetooth USB key. i have an MSI board and its pluged directly into the board, not the USB2 card, which doesent seam to work. anyway, when i do a hciconfig hci0 up i get an error saying device not found. its in there and its flashing like it should. little red light stays on, little blue light flashes one in a while. its a Nokia7650 i want talking to it. any ideas?
www.lsn-blog.tk
Dual Athlon 2Gz, 1Gb ram, 120Gb hdd, GeForce FX5200, DVD+R/-R/+RW/-RW, CDR/RW
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please bear in mind that the p3nfs package doesnt utilitize a "real" protocol, eg windowing and error-checking etc. So the copying and unstable operations you describe stems from this.

I havent submitted my package yet to portage, but if I get some free time soon Ill incorporate the suggested changes here and get it done.

Thanks for using my work, guys :-) Really appreciate it!
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-simon wrote:
I found I had to change one line in the init srcipt, in the start() function, to:
Code:

I think it might be because I'm using a slightly later version of p3nfsd? (5.13a)

No, its because I added quiet flags to p3nfsd to make it support STFU mode, like I pointed out in the original post :-) Its quite easy, and doesnt make p3nfsd print things to stdout.
mr-simon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loke wrote:
mr-simon wrote:
Code:

I think it might be because I'm using a slightly later version of p3nfsd? (5.13a)

No, its because I added quiet flags to p3nfsd to make it support STFU mode, like I pointed out in the original post :-) Its quite easy, and doesnt make p3nfsd print things to stdout.

Yeah, but when I tried to start it using your script, it failed until I changed that line. Also calling p3nfsd with --help, didn't list a 'quiet' option, so I removed it. I also changed the order of the parameters to the way they were listeded in --help, and then it would start.
apyh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: ubs support to compile in Reply with quote

hey,

you mention not to add bt usb support in the kernel config.

On a different note, I was wondering, what usb support do i need to include in, I have no usb devices so I 've never turned on usb support.

But now that I got a usb bt dongle, what usb support should I include?
apyh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: patch failing Reply with quote

Also, that kernel patch fails on gentoo-sources-r5
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: patch failing Reply with quote

apyh wrote:
Also, that kernel patch fails on gentoo-sources-r5

The patch is already applied on -r5 sources - When I wrote this, -r5 wasnt available and I had to do this myself.

As for USB support, that depends on what USB controller your motherboard / add-in card has. I recommend searching for an USB HOWTO to help you get started :-)
Hiryu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-simon wrote:
Strange. I had no problems mounting my P800 in /mnt/moonunit. Are you using the latest version of p3nfsd?

Yep, tried it a couple of times. Everytime I try to mount it to a different dir it just locks up.

Would it be possible to create a backup of the entire phone and then restore it using the NFS client? Can I overwrite files that are in use? If so I no longer have a need for windows on my laptop :D
anil_et
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Help on SonyEricsson T610 Reply with quote

Hi,
I manage to run the bluez service on my laptop and it is detecting the device as T610.Anyone know how to access the files inside or connect to the system?
Any help is greately appreciated

Anil
thehyperintelligentslug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The GNOME Bluetooth Subsystem looks quite interesting. Might give it a go over the weekend.

I, like anil_et, have a T610 and p3nfsd doesn't seem interested in it!

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil.

---
http://www.thehyperintelligentslug.co.uk
monkeyBox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a really tough time getting my Belkin F8T001 USB adapter to work in linux.

I compiled all the bluetooth modules, and did not inclue the USB->bluetooth support like everyone says... Here's what I tried:

Code:

$ modprobe bluez
$ modprobe hci_usb
$ bluefw usb 0xa5c/0x2033
$ hciconfig
$ hciconfig hci0 up
Can't get device info: No such device

and here's some kernel output:
Code:

Aug 15 13:25:31 monkeybox kernel: BlueZ Core ver 2.2 Copyright (C) 2000,2001 Qualcomm Inc
Aug 15 13:25:31 monkeybox kernel: Written 2000,2001 by Maxim Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>
Aug 15 13:25:36 monkeybox kernel: BlueZ HCI USB driver ver 2.4 Copyright (C) 2000,2001 Qualcomm Inc
Aug 15 13:25:36 monkeybox kernel: Written 2000,2001 by Maxim Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>

...and this is what I see when I plug in the bluetooth device:
Code:

Aug 15 13:25:36 monkeybox kernel: usb.c: registered new driver hci_usb
Aug 15 17:34:57 monkeybox kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:09.0-2, assigned address 4
Aug 15 17:34:57 monkeybox kernel: usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0xa5c/0x2033) is not claimed by any
active driver.

Please help!!
squantom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: p3nfsd over nfsapp-2.5-series60 - mobile 3650 asks for pass Reply with quote

hi,

I can't mount my nokia 3650.
hcitool scan lists:
Code:

metis root # hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:60:57:4C:CE:AC       Nokia3650

rfcomm lists:
Code:

metis root # rfcomm
rfcomm0: 00:60:57:4C:CE:AC channel 3 closed
metis root #

I am pretty sure I set up the /etc/conf.d/symbian file correct:
Code:

metis root # cat /etc/conf.d/symbian

MOUNTDIR="/mnt/nokia"
BDADDR="00:60:57:4C:CE:AC"
CHANNEL="3"
DEVTYPE="/dev/rfcomm0"
DEVICE="series60"

I Start the nfsclient on the Symbian device, and activate the Bluetooth/11 mode. Within the 30 seconds I start the symbian script with /etc/init.d/symbian start. And on my mobile I get a pop up wich asks for a password for a earlier bluetooth connection with windows. I have to type at least one character. And after OK I get an error on the mobile
Code:
 failed (-33)
and on linux
Code:

metis root # /etc/init.d/symbian start
 * Mounting Symbian series60 device on /mnt/nokia - Please accept the connection on the device...
p3nfsd: version 5.13a, using /dev/rfcomm0 (115200), mounting on /mnt/nokia
tcsetattr TCSADRAIN: Input/output error
p3nfsd: to stop the server do "ls /mnt/nokia/exit". (pid 2592)
umount /mnt/nokia:Invalid argument                                        [ ok ]metis root # p3nfsd: exiting.

I can't delete the windows bloototh conection on my mobile. it just sucks. Google dosen't help me either. :?:

My nokia firmware version is 2.5 and my kernel 2.4.20-gentoo-r2. I use the p3nfs-5.13a version.

THX
maur8
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: p3nfsd over nfsapp-2.5-series60 - mobile 3650 asks for p Reply with quote

squantom wrote:
I have to type at least one character.

my early experience tells to me that the bluetooth pin must be at least 4 character. Apologize me for mistakes and bad english :D
squantom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also tried 4 characters. But on the linux side there is no possibility to enter a password or pin. after entering the 4 characters the mobiles says failed -33.
The problem is the p3nfsd authentification with pin or password. The /etc/conf.d/symbian file says password not supported yet. I have tried to authenticate with the hcitools and the config files in /etc/bluetooth/, but no success.

THX
sKewlBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always give gammu a try (check it at freshmeat).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: