View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air-Op
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: x loads and keyboard and mouse stop working, hard reboot Reply with quote

Hello,

I just installed 1.4rc3...

I ran XF86config and told it to do auto mouse, 104 key keyboard.

ASUS
Nforce1 athlon XP 1700+, gamming kernel

nv server
32megs ram dedicated to it.

USB mouse (logitech optical wheelmouse, Knoppix detects it...)

I have since emerged nvidia kernel and glx
but have not changed my XF86Config file from what came out of XF86Config

I suppose the next thing for me to do is change nv to nvidia
or is there a better Xconfiguration tool that is only an emerge away

I don't know much about my kernel configuration... I know it's gamming kernel
and I know we rsyced Saturday, March 29, 8am-11pm for the kernel
and I rsyced again on the 31st before installing the nvidia stuff.

-Aaron Peterson
Air-Op
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr the problem was that my mouse and keyboard died when I loaded X, startx or gdm

they all came up though!

with startx I got twm with 3 windows.. and a clock... but my mouse was gone.

with gdm, I got the blinking cursor... but my mouse didn't work.

I think the clock in twm would have continued working...

I also have a pci TNT2 installed on my machine. that I didn't bother to configure

note, the keyboard appeard DEAD, no LED lights, no control anything that I could think of, the led on my mouse went dead when x started.

-AP
Tiganu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS2 keyboard / mouse ?

What config do you have in XFree ?

Also look for errors in /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

You can also test X, just init stuff no real sreen, with
Code:
X -probeonly
and see if it locks.
thing_q3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. I was never able to install my mouse, but what's worse is that every time i load X (startx or XFree86), the keyboard seems to die and i have to do a cold reboot.

I have an ibm usb optical mouse with a ps2 adapter, but neither interface worked. When i loaded the usb mouse modules (input, hid, mousedev, uhci, etc) the kernel log showed that the mouse had been detected and assigned, but cat /dev/input/mice didn't return anything.
When using the ps2 adapter, i cat /dev/psaux, which returned nothing AND caused my keyboard to lock up as well. So could this have something to do with the ps2 mouse and keyboard interfaces interferring with eachother? seems really strange...

using ck-sources with:
msi kt3 ultra mobo (ms-6380e)
amd athlon xp 2100+
256 megs ram
Tiganu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case the USB mouse goues to:
Code:

/dev/usbmouse -> input/mouse0

Doing cat /dev/input/mouse0 gives me plenty of stuff once I move the rodent :wink:

My bit of config files:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=265724#265724

/dev/psaux might be used by both mouse & keyboard, in some iterleaved fashion, hence the problems when not using a protocol to access it, but I'm just guessing on this one.
thing_q3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: resolved!!! Reply with quote

Apparently it was just a mouse problem, with the ps2 interfaces of the mouse and keyboard conflicting or something. I managed to install the usb mouse (forgot to install input support for hid in the kernel *pounds head against wall*), and now the keyboard works just fine in X :D.

note to Air-op "ran XF86config and told it to do auto mouse": i don't think xf86config will detect usb mice, especially if you don't have the usb modules. Just install the modules, and make sure the mouse works before you load X (ie cat /dev/input/mouse0 or /dev/psaux, depending). If you did an autoconf of the mouse, xf86 would have probably assigned it to /dev/mouse which points to /dev/psaux, which I think may also be used for the keyboard ?? and that's what's causing the conflict. Anyway, hope that helps.
slurve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Same.. :( Reply with quote

Got the same problem - machine was working fine 2 days ago...powered it down and now nothing. Keyboard works, can use it on bootloader. once x starts, machine hangs, then finally loads x.

I tried doing an fsck on the root file system since it was saying that was mounting as read only....
wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Same.. :( Reply with quote

slurve wrote:
Got the same problem - machine was working fine 2 days ago...powered it down and now nothing.

Lol, this is why I try to keep a Linux-based PC on all the time. Of course, mine acts as a server for many things...

Check your /etc/fstab and /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if you let a script create this you should ALWAYS double-check it).

Where does it say mounting / as read-only? If it's in the boot sequence then you're fine. If you can't write to your HDD then it's a serious problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: