Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morbid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaarlo wrote:
Hi,

Great sources, but with PARALLEL_STARTUP=yes the boot process hangs in my case. The symptom is similar to the one Phlogiston describes in this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-434049.html. With PARALLEL_STARTUP=no everything works, and I also noticed that by hitting ctrl+c after the hangup the system continues to boot ok.

Can someone help? I really miss the (mental?) speedup given by parallel_startup. (I'm sorry if this is an old story, couldn't find the solution...)

Regards, Kaarlo

My Compaq server hangs when parallel=yes... but all of my other systems work fine that way. I haven't spent much time investigating "why" though.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaarlo wrote:
Hi,

Great sources, but with PARALLEL_STARTUP=yes the boot process hangs in my case. The symptom is similar to the one Phlogiston describes in this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-434049.html. With PARALLEL_STARTUP=no everything works, and I also noticed that by hitting ctrl+c after the hangup the system continues to boot ok.

Can someone help? I really miss the (mental?) speedup given by parallel_startup. (I'm sorry if this is an old story, couldn't find the solution...)

Regards, Kaarlo

I just forgot about this, but yes the problem still exists. I can't explain why this happens... but would be happy if anyone has an idea. In my opinion it's strange that this is caused by a kernel update... :?:
Robin79
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad i cant get internet to work with this looks like iam stuck with the old nitro :)
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
kaarlo wrote:
Hi,

Regards, Kaarlo

I just forgot about this, but yes the problem still exists. I can't explain why this happens... but would be happy if anyone has an idea. In my opinion it's strange that this is caused by a kernel update... :?:

Why don't you read my earlier explanation?
morbid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that I shouldn't need to edit vmware-config.pl with this kernel, but I'm still getting the address space error. When I disable that check vmware works fine.

Also... how's beyond3 coming along? :wink:
brazzmonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works fine here, except a weird screen corruption with splashscreen while booting : the fadein thing looks really odd and i get funny colors when X starts (nvidia GFX).

i don't know how and why but i commented out the initrd line in grub.conf and everything's fine now
Code:
title=Gentoo GNU/Linux 2.6.16-beyond2
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.16-beyond2 root=/dev/hda2 ro video=vesafb:1600x1200-32@85,mtrr,ywrap splash=silent,fadein,theme:livecd-2006.0 quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
#initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-livecd-2006.0-1600x1200

(there's no more gentoo logo fading in, but hey, this is useless eyecandy...)
skazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Linux gentoo.local 2.6.16-beyond3 #1 Fri Apr 28 21:38:19 CEST 2006 x86_64 AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+ GNU/Linux

It works excellently :)
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this has been bumped to beyond3. If you have any problems, please test with beyond3, and respond in that thread. not this one.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-458090.html

James
sedorox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morbid wrote:
I've read that I shouldn't need to edit vmware-config.pl with this kernel,but I'm still getting the address space error. When I disable that check vmware works fine.

Also... how's beyond3 coming along? :wink:

I should probably edit that post...... You don't have to edit it, only if you use the ~arch version of vmware (vmware-workstation-5.5.1.19175-r3) Otherwise you will need to apply patches from vmware's forums to get it to work without editing vmware-config.pl

If you don't want to do either of these.. which is fine, just edit the file, and it'll work perfectly. So its upto you, but in at least in one case, you will need to edit it still. [/b]
satissh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all.. Iam having problems with nvidia module loading .. i have installed nvidia-kernel && nvidia-glx.. of course
# modprobe nvidia
Code:
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.16-beyond2/video/nvidia.ko): Unknown symbol in the module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

This is the error i get at the end of..a kernel recompile..
# make modules_install
Code:
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.16-beyond2/video/nvidia.ko needs unknown symbol preempt_schedule

Also there is no preempt_schedule when i searched in menuconfig..

Card:
Nvidia 6800 GT

Make.conf:
cbuild : i686-pc-linux-gnu
cflags : -march=pentium4 -O3
c++flags : <same as above>
ldflags : -W1,-01 -W1,--sort-common -s

FS:
/ Filesystem : reiser4
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread actually is deprecated isn't it? You could try using beyond3 and ask there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: