View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramelito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Xorg 7.0 and Xkb ruined my layout Reply with quote

Ok, so the problem is in corrupted layout of my russian keyboard input.
So before emerging xorg 7.0 i have used this config

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option "XkbModel"   "pc101"
        Option "XkbLayout"  "us,ru"
        Option "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,lv3:switch,ctrl:nocaps,grp_led:scroll,caps:shift"
EndSection

and do my best.

After emerging xorg 7.0 all letters were "remixed", so even capitals appear (of course w/o shift or caps lock), so imagine e.g. q migrate to p and became cap, only but in russian variant. So what's the problem? Google, bug tracker, all the stuff keep silent... and i cannot work. help me friends...
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Xorg 7.0 and Xkb ruined my layout Reply with quote

ramelito wrote:
Ok, so the problem is in corrupted layout of my russian keyboard input.
So before emerging xorg 7.0 i have used this config

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option "XkbModel"   "pc101"
        Option "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,lv3:switch,ctrl:nocaps,grp_led:scroll,caps:shift"
EndSection

with xorg7 a lot of the kbd layouts have been moved around.

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel"  "pc101"
EndSection

my keyboard was not working properly at first after updating to xorg7 because my 'xkbRules' directive wasn't set to 'xorg' so it was unable to determine the keyboard layout using the options I specified in the xorg.conf.
if you can get to a console: you can try using the kbd command directly, so you can try out different settings without having to modify the xorg.conf

Code:
setxkbmap -model pc101  -layout us

you might use
Code:
setxkbmap -model pc101  -layout us,ru

this link
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml#doc_chap3
explains how to update your layout options for xorg7. The only problem is their description is very poor and in my opinion.. hard to understand or apply.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed some time ago (years) while tinkering with dvorak layouts is that with xmodmap and loadkeys both, they have two ways to adjust which key goes where: They have a character based input and a key code. Oddly enough, you can specify the character as the input and it seems to work. In other words, you could make the 'c' key produce an 'r' instead, and express it in those terms.

The problem I ran into was that often at that time at least the layouts were specified by character code rather than by key code. That means you can transform the keyboard twice by the same map, and you get what might be described as an encrypted keyboard, with the decryption algorithm forthcoming. :)

What you're describing seems to be the same problem. Hopefully now all the maps use the absolute keycode mapping instead of a differential mapping. Keyboards all use the same codes for the same key, so this should be what the key mapping layers use.
ramelito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys, some more information to think. Well as possible as i am able to investigate this problem, bad russian layout is only in the qt-driven applications. Although i was able to recompile my qt, the bad layout stays the same. In other applications, such as brousers and so on all is correct. If i copy/paste text from this applications to qt-ones all is correct, only when i try to type in them all goes wrong... Any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: