Gnome toolbars appear under top panel and unable to move
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeR410
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Gnome toolbars appear under top panel and unable to move Reply with quote

I just finished geting XGL and compiz onto this computer, and whenever I log in to Gnome and load an application, it'll appear in the topleft corner and the toolbar for it will be underneath the panel and it will not move. It's not until I run
Code:
joe@Penelope ~ $ ~/startxgl 1

Which brings up compiz and then I can move the windows from underneath the panel using Alt + leftclick (with the wobbly effect, which is super sweet btw). But, I have no idea why it is that the toolbars will be unmovable prior to that. I have a feeling that a single checkbox within gconf-editor will do the trick, and it's just a matter of knowing which one it is, which I don't.
If you know what the issue is by my mere explaining it, spectacular. If you want a screenshot, it's here, or if you need output of any code, I can share that as well.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have no window decorations -- gnome-window-decorator is not running.

Have you followed the steps in the XGL HOWTO in the Gentoo Wiki to install and run Xgl? I believe if you're using the startxgl script, you have to run "startxgl 1 gnome" to tell it what environment you're running in -- something it may well detect after you've already started it and re-run startxgl.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Unsupported Software.
JoeR410
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
You have no window decorations -- gnome-window-decorator is not running.

I guess I wasn't very clear about what I meant. Like, I have to have the terminal open in order to issue the startxgl command, and once I've done that, then it starts, and I have the ability to move the terminal window out from under the top toolbar, but every application window after that will open with it being tangent to that top toolbar but not obscured by it.

But, prior to starting XGL, gnome-window-decorator shows up in my process table, but is in a sleeping state. When I right click it and it "Continue" it changes to running, but then goes back to Sleeping. Not sure if that makes a difference.

It'll be a day before I can try out your suggestion since my system that I have it on was turned off for about three weeks and has a few things to compile in an "emerge -uDN world". :? So, I'll let you know what happens when I give that a try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: