Xgl and Xegl on the one box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Xgl and Xegl on the one box Reply with quote

I am currently running Xgl on my box with a Radeon 9600XT, I also have a 9200 in it and I would like to try Xegl out, but I don't want to have to destroy my Xgl setup.

Does anyone know a way to have Xgl and Xegl on the same box and so I can just change between them (will require a reboot though) by just changing some files.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you are running gdm or not. If you are, one way to enable Xgl is to edit the config files for gdm to change which server is used, then run a script on startup to start compiz (see the Xgl HOWTO for details). So I see no reason why you couldn't use the same approach to replace the default server with Xegl, then running whatever wm comes with it (or your default wm if none comes with it). Of course, take that with a big grain of salt as I haven't tried it myself.

The nice thing about this approach is you can just logout of X, switch to a console, edit one or two files (depending on which version of gdm you are running), restart the xdm initscript and you now have a different X server running.
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Well I figured that, but I have to restart my whole computer because I need to switch video cards and for strange reason my 9200 doesn't get intialised when I boot from my 9600 (Works fine under windows), I'm not sure if its a kernel thing or a Graphics driver thing.

Also I'm not quite sure if Xegl is worth the hassle of having to reboot to use it
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: