Recommendations for Document Management System
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q3Man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for Document Management System Reply with quote

I need some recommendations on software, which may or may not even exist :)

I'm working on transitioning a small business off of a win2k server onto gentoo one service at a time, and everything is going well. One area that is in desperate need of improvement is in document management. As of now, a tremendous amount of documents are generated and stored in a organically-grown share on thier server. A significant percentage of those documents are PDF's from thier network scanner whose text is of course unsearchable.

I've been playing around with both knowledgetree and owl to try and introduce some sort of order but both seem unsuited for the task. What I'm looking for (which I admit may not exist) is a document management system with defineable metadata (such as KT and Owl) but also supports (even poor) OCR of PDF's and allows you to search through them. Right now, it seems that my best bet is to start diving into Owl's code and adding some OCR support.

Are there any other document management systems that anyone has run across? I'm interested in both good and bad results. I'm looking at ~250k documents of various kinds, and certian documents need custom metadata (such as signing dates or expiration dates).

Having the documents available inside a filesystem is a big plus. Google Desktop Search was a godsend for them, and I'd like to keep that functionality.
brot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe not what you are asking, but it looks like kat (when using kde) oor beagle (for the gnome in you) is worth looking for you. (should do the same what google desktop search does)
Vogateer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, never used any of these yet, but I've been thinking about trying one out at work.

There's xinco:
http://www.xinco.org/

I'd like to know more about these myself. Anyone have any experiences with some DMSs?
z0mb13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnowledgeTree OSS 3.x indexes numerous file formats including PDF's.

ebuild at http://packages.gentoo.org/ebuilds/?knowledgetree-3.0.3

Also KnowledgeTree Tools for Windows now has ImagingTools in Beta2 which provides OCR and indexing of scanned documents.
pactoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at: http://wiki.docmgr.org
yakapiece
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q3man,

I'm not sure what you have had success with yet. I just tried xinco - under it's feature lists it hints at having some sort of OCR - however it doesn't (as far as I can tell). I've been playing around with it and it seems like a very basic repository for files (with a java UI).

I'm going to try out Ktree. I've used it in the past but I'm interested in the client-side tool that does OCR.

If you want to update this thread it might help!

Thank you
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: