View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhewton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: openoffice replacement? Reply with quote

Since I cannot get Openoffice to work anymore, can someone tell me what program/s I can use to open .doc .xls .ppt files?

Thanks

Dan
felicehome
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

openoffice has the best microsoft import filters in my oppinion. Also not bad is koffice in this respect. Thera are a lot of good importers for the doc format. Abiword works quite well e.g. What does not work with your openoffice installation? Did you try openoffice-bin?

cheers felice
dhewton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer to use OpenOffice, but I get the following error when I run it at the prompt. (I have to run it at the prompt to see what the error is)

oowriter2
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice: line 233: 10452 Segmentation fault "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"

Dan
dhewton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running the -bin version of OO. 2.0.2 I get a build error after 9 hours if I try to build my own. <grin>

Dan
GenKreton
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could nvidia drivers be the problem?

I found it here

It comes up with a lot of results when i search the error (I left out line numbers and such).

And if you still need an alternative it depends on your demands. Maybe GNUPlot and LaTeX would be best, or maybe Koffice, or maybe LyX, etc.
miraceti
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhewton wrote:
I am running the -bin version of OO. 2.0.2 I get a build error after 9 hours if I try to build my own.
Not enough disc space?
n0rbi666
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have -ffast-math in CFLAGS and use KDE?
If yes, emerge kde without -ffast-math :)
dhewton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use KDE, but I do use -ffast-math. Deleted it and tried to remerge and get same error with koffice-libs.

Dan
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Unsupported Software to Desktop Environments. Openoffice is supported software :P
dhewton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have altered my flags to:

Code:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium4m -mtune=pentium4m -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -ffriend-injection"
MAKEOPTS="-j2 "
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="ccache sandbox candy"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/xgl-coffee"
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia vesa"

Now OpenOffice, Firefox and Koffice work fine.

I am not a professional office software user so the vast majority of the features will go unused.

Knowing that, for the purposes of space saving, will I find using koffice 1.5 easy, and will it open all the microsoft format files and do publisher?

Thanks

Dan
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use MS Office on Wine or Crossover. That's what I do. I can't stand OpenOffice.
malone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhewton wrote:
I am not a professional office software user so the vast majority of the features will go unused.

Knowing that, for the purposes of space saving, will I find using koffice 1.5 easy, and will it open all the microsoft format files and do publisher?

Thanks

Dan

If you aren't an office 'power user' then crossover is really the simplest option (there are some issues with macros and user forms). The import filters with koffice are improving, but not ready for everyday use IMO. Openoffice works the best for MS compatibility in Linux.

Cheers.
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openoffice is good enough for most of what you want. I've found the compatibility to MS Office files to be quite good. Writer, Impress are both quite capable replacements for Word, Powerpoint. I haven't really used any other portions of the suite, though they all seem to work.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widremann wrote:
Use MS Office on Wine or Crossover. That's what I do. I can't stand OpenOffice.

Does msoffice2003 work already in Wine?
psic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidgurvich wrote:
Openoffice is good enough for most of what you want. I've found the compatibility to MS Office files to be quite good. Writer, Impress are both quite capable replacements for Word, Powerpoint. I haven't really used any other portions of the suite, though they all seem to work.

I agree, though I often use Abiword for .doc files. It's not that great at writing them, but not bad at reading them.
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

q-collective's little animation nicely sums up my experience with abiword. too many features i take for granted in full-featured word processors (table sorting, searching a document for things other than words, etc.) are missing from the lightweights. openoffice is big, slow and ugly, but at least it does the job.

re ms office compatibility: i regularly receive ms word documents from windows users, edit them with openoffice writer, and send them back. openoffice gets it about 95% right (it messes up tricky layout stuff, like footnotes etc.). abiword didn't even come close...as psic said, it's not bad at reading them...but if you plan on editing them and sending them back as word docs, it had better not be anything important. if ms office compatibility is really important to you, then i agree that wine or crossover (or even a whole windows install under qemu or something) is your best option: the only way to be 100% sure your document will look right in ms word is to open it in ms word.
dhewton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not critical the compatability thing. At least not to the degree you describe. I would love to just get everyone using the opendocument format. I may do that in my universe.

dan
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_irl wrote:
the only way to be 100% sure your document will look right in ms word is to open it in ms word.

Well only if you make everybody else use your version of msoffice. If there's one thing i learned then that openoffice has more compatability on average with msoffice then msoffice across different versions especially if there is a gap of a verison or more :evil:
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhewton wrote:
I would love to just get everyone using the opendocument format. I may do that in my universe.

yes, ideally nobody would be using stupid closed proprietary document formats, but even government organisations storing public information find it easier to use what "everyone else" is using than think about the ethics of requiring citizens to use a particular company's products. good luck convincing your "universe" to use open formats...i would love to push the issue in mine by returning people's word documents as odt files...but it would only piss them off...they're not going to change a setup that works with everyone else they deal with, just for the sake of one free software nut.

Kaste wrote:
simon_irl wrote:
the only way to be 100% sure your document will look right in ms word is to open it in ms word.

Well only if you make everybody else use your version of msoffice. If there's one thing i learned then that openoffice has more compatability on average with msoffice then msoffice across different versions especially if there is a gap of a verison or more :evil:

word 2000 is a widely compatible format (in the ms windows world). i think even versions as ancient as word 95 can be updated so that they're able to work with word 2000 files, and more recent versions have no problems with them (just be careful to keep them as word 2000 files, rather than overwriting them with a more recent format).
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_irl wrote:

yes, ideally nobody would be using stupid closed proprietary document formats, but even government organisations storing public information find it easier to use what "everyone else" is using than think about the ethics of requiring citizens to use a particular company's products. good luck convincing your "universe" to use open formats...i would love to push the issue in mine by returning people's word documents as odt files...but it would only piss them off...they're not going to change a setup that works with everyone else they deal with, just for the sake of one free software nut.

Hmm well that is the same problem as the browser wars. since everybody is scripting for Mozilla/IE all other Browsers have to pretend to be that and therefore webmasters get statistics saying 95 % of all people use IE and hence will continue scripting for that.

I now send both a .doc as well as an .odt to at least show them, that it is exactly the same way round for me, when they automatically assume that i use MS Office. I think it works in a way because they usually start asking questions and so gives me an opportunity to at least tell them about it without slapping it in their face.

And my favourite anecdote to get completely OT:)
I once had to write a 40 page paper back about in 2000 and all i had was MS office 2k . So i thought well there's word it's made for that right. HMm after adding the 20 th. foot note and about the 5th picture stuff started moving all over the place after saving and loading up to the point where it would randomly rearrange all of my pictures when i got close to 30 pages, not speaking of the countless crashes. So much for "compatability". I'd at the very least expect the same version of the same product to be able to open my documents without shuffling it like a deck of cards.
SteveBallmersChair
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhewton wrote:
I would prefer to use OpenOffice, but I get the following error when I run it at the prompt. (I have to run it at the prompt to see what the error is)

oowriter2
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice: line 233: 10452 Segmentation fault "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"

Dan

I've got the same problem you have. I heard to recompile kdelibs without the -ffast-math CFLAG. I haven't tried it yet as this computer is a woefully old laptop and is pretty much useless to compile things without its distcc lifeline to my desktop. But others said it works and if that fails, recompiling glibc should do the trick.

I am currently using KOffice. It will open up my OpenOffice ODF files fairly decently, but KWord is not in the same league as OpenOffice Writer is. But KWord sure beats using KWrite to take notes with in class. KSpread is pretty good though. I'll get back to you guys when I can use distcc to get kdelibs recompiled without -ffast math and tell you if that works.
Lloeki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but even government organisations storing public information find it easier to use what "everyone else" is using

they now start to favor openness for perennial information. that's the main motive for France to have decided to switch to OOo instead of MSO.
there is also a kind of john-doe I.T graduation called c2i, basically mandatory in any university here, which clearly emphases on I.T ethics and caring about present and future compatibility, along with computer basics. a great step indeed.

Quote:
And my favourite anecdote to get completely OT:)

well, the day I decided OOo was great and switched fully to it (or alternatives to MS) was the day when MSWord f***d up my graduation internship report just when I wanted to print it. all images had moved randomly, most of them being placed at coords (0,0). Out of the blue, I tried to open it with staroffice (wich was installed on the sun machines we had at the university), and the only problem was the font face, which I fixed easily. so OOo saved my day (and my graduation) that time, just in time for the deadline.

FWIW, I now use abiword and gnumeric, which fullfill my needs as a developper (I don't get to read/write, let alone work+share, on WP/spreadsheed documents very often). I could use a kinda minimalist presentation system alternative though. anyone has an idea?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: