View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keiko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: firfox, small fonts, tiny webpages.... need help Reply with quote

Hia,

Sorry title isn't very accurate.

I'm developing a large problem with my Gentoo system, and its rather destressing. I've been using it since around Christmas day last year, so not long really, and I really love Gentoo...

But, I've had a few (non-technical) problems. Firstly I was somewhat disgusted by the screens / windows sizes and all that, expecting the widows to look and behave similar to how I've become accustomed to in Windows, eventually I was made aware windows on linux are just differen't, and after a long period of headaches, and difficulty trying to ajust, I've got used to it.

However, I still have a huge problem with firefox. I've begone to shy away from surfing the web or using my web mail, because I simply find my firefox on Gentoo, well depressing for want of a better, word, all the text is tiny in comparison to my windows version, which I've gotten a little used to, but renders some websites un-readable, I've often used the - Ctr + combination in these casess, but that screws up the website, and Generally the majority of websites, just dont feel right.

I'm resorting to writing this from XP, as I'm finding it real hard to use firefox on Gentoo for more then a quick check of my inbox. I've even considered replacing my XP system with another linux distro, I hoped that Kanoraa, if i've got the name right, ( a gentoo based system with xgl) could be that but the live cd doesn't boot on my hardware. Though I really love Gentoo, and whats the point of rebooting into another distro just to surf the web.

I dont want to loose Gentoo, I love it, i'm comfy in the command line, xinue-ui is awesome, as is xmms, theres very few things I need to work on to completely rid myself of Windows and have Gentoo as my main desktop OS, which to a degree it is already - However this has to be one, I'm coming close to not wanting to surf the net at all in Gentoo... and its only a matter of time, before I end up stop using Gentoo itself, which is the complete opposite of what I want.

OK, i've babbled on far too long,

Could someone please help me figure this out.

I'm currently running a 2.6.25-r1 kernel, I have fluxbox as my WM, and if it helps i used GDM as my DM... oh and of course firefox as my web browser.

Not sure how to word or describe this any better, but its a real problem for me.

I truly hope someone can help me - Keiko.
Pestlett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your xorg.conf configured like?

Have you read through this:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts

There is a lot there to help you.
Keiko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hia Pestlett,

Thanks for your reply, I've posted my current xorg.conf bellow. I recognise that guide, but can't recall how far I got with it, perhaps I relised it wouldn't help, or followed it throughout, I just dont recall, but the problem remains ???

Do you think this could be the solution, its not just a font problem, though thats a huge part of it, webpages just display far smaller then I need them to be, or are comfortouble with... if you think it will do the trick I'll go through it again

Anyways, heres my config, Keiko.

Code:
#Section "InputDevice"
#   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
#   Driver      "keyboard"
#   Option       "XkbModel" "pc106"
#   Option       "XkbLayout" "gb"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "X.org Configured"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
   InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
   RgbPath      "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
   ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "extmod"
   #  Load  "dri"
   Load  "dbe"
   Load  "record"
   Load  "xtrap"
   Load  "freetype"
   Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
   Option       "XkbLayout" "gb"
   Option       "XkbModel" "pc106"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option       "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
   Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
   Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName   "Avidav"
   ModelName    "M1091D"
   HorizSync    30.0 - 79.0
   VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
   Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"

### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "UseFBDev"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"                # [<str>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"              # <i>
        #Option     "FlatPanel"             # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPDither"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CrtcNumber"            # <i>
        #Option     "FPScale"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPTweak"               # <i>
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "nvidia"
   VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
   BoardName   "GeForce 6600"
   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth     24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     8
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     15
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     16
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     24
      Modes    "1280x1024"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
   Group        0
EndSection

Keiko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also...

I have a slight iritation with my terminals, all of them have the same behaviour so it must be a system wide setting, proberly to do with xorg, but I dont know what.

Directories are displayed blue, within a normal user initiated terminal (eterm, aterm or xterm), which is fine, accept that when the directories are coloured with this particular blue, I can't read them, without bumping my head on my VDU I have to get so close, and its annoying the hell out of me, I've just emerged and setup aterm somewhat, but that usess the same colour scheme, I'm fine with every other colour and appreciate the highlighting of differen't file types.

But, when moving around directories, i'm forced to su to root, to avoid being blinded by the blue coloured directory names, that I can't see clearly.

So I was wondering if someone could suggest a work around for me, perhaps a change of colour, or even disabling the colour change for directories would be great... though of course I'll need to know where to make this setting change.

Thanks again, Keiko.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the default font sizes you need to tell the Nvidia driver your DPI (dots per inch). In the Nvidia device section of my xorg.conf I have the line:
Code:
 Option "DPI" "150 x 150"

Those numbers are probably not right for you but it shows you the format of the line.

A good starting point would be the actual DPI of your monitor. For example, if your monitor is 18" wide and is set to a resolution of 1600 x 1200 then the horizontal DPI should be 1600/18 = 89.

As for the problem with blue directories, I am assuming you are referring to the output of the ls command. I think that a couple of months ago someone goofed and made a default alias for the ls command to include colors. I *think* that if your system is up-to-date this problem should not happen but I am not certain.

However, it should be pretty easy to fix. You could run the following command to see if an alias is the problem:
Code:
$ alias | grep ls

If the ls command is aliased to something like 'ls --color' then an easy fix for the current session is to just run the command:
Code:
$ alias ls=

which should turn off aliasing for the ls command. For future sessions edit your .bashrc file. It could be the errant alias command is in there and you can delete it. But if not, you can add the line "alias ls=" to turn off aliasing for the ls command for future sessions.

A better solution is to edit the /etc/DIR_COLORS file which controls what color is assigned to different kinds of files. I don't know the details but it looks like it is pretty well commented and you probably just want to change the "DIR 01;34" line to some other color.
Tekara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ran into a lot of the same problems, for color scheme's on my terminal (and irc programs) I really like to use green text on black background scheme's. The high contrast coloring is easier to read and the black background is a lot easier on my eyes and well green is always has a cooling effect on the eyes as well. With he font size I jsut increased it a couple steps and saved that as my default terminal setting.

In firefox I jacked up my default text size and I have happy with the results. Oggasionally if I want larger text like when it's late at night and the eyes start getting blurry you can hold down the ctrl key and use the mouse weel to dynamically increase or decrease the font size. I did something similar within kde as well, the individual settings work out a lot better since it only particular affects areas that I want to change and not everything, as not everything is too small for me.
troavr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me before on previous installs, it all happened to me because I let my computer auto-configure X for me, shame on me.
When I got rid of the icky auto xorg.conf and made a new one via
Code:
xorgcfg -textmode
it worked fine, so give that a shot and you should be good and ready to go.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the following dir color quite satisfactory. Its blue but a lighter shade. I have the following in my .Xdefaults:
Code:
XTerm*color4: #5eb8f3
XTerm*color12: #5eb8f3

And I load these defaults by using xrdb (xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults). This line can be put in a startup script, so that it is executed automatically when you login.
Keiko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hia BitJam,

Thanks for your suggestions, especially witht he dir colors, as thats fixed now, and was incredibly easy... I changed the directory line, to underscore (which isn't working, but I'm not fussed) instead of bold and then removed the colour. Its far eassier to read now. Bizarly though I now need to reduce the thought size in Aterm, but Eterm is absoloutley perfect now.

I'm a little too tired to get into my xorg.conf now, I'll have a bash at it tomorow... hey 'bash', is that a pun...

Hopefully, I'll get things sorted. I guess its just a matter of tweaking things until your happy. Gentoo is awesome, but my sysem as been spoilt by these few irritations on the graphical side, maily with firefox, so i'll be really happy when I have them sorted.

Thanks to you all :)

Keiko.
mc_barron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using Firefox 1.5 why don't you just set the minimum font size and be done with it? I mean, you should still work out the font issues with Xorg, but for now wouldn't that at least fix the "font is too small on some pages" problem?
suksit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is relavant to your problem or not.

I used to compile Firefox with -O3 optimization flag and had not only the font but also stability issues.
So I re-compiled it using -O2 and both problems were gone....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: