How to play shorten (SHN) files? [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reynolds531
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: How to play shorten (SHN) files? [Solved] Reply with quote

Is there a media player in portage that will play shorten files? There's a shorten use flag, but euse doesn't reveal what program it's supposed to modify. I've tried vlc, mplayer, quodlibet, xmms and rhythmbox. It looks like there's an older version of rhythmbox that was patched to enable shorten playback, but I rather not use that.

Last edited by reynolds531 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mutlu_inek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the dependencies and USE flags. I always assumed all media player would play this sort of files if you install media-sound/shorten, but I was never able to test it myself because of a lack of such files. But XMMS should definitely be able to play those files with the appropriate plugin: media-plugins/xmms-shn.
reynolds531
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutlu_inek wrote:
I am not sure about the dependencies and USE flags. I always assumed all media player would play this sort of files if you install media-sound/shorten, but I was never able to test it myself because of a lack of such files. But XMMS should definitely be able to play those files with the appropriate plugin: media-plugins/xmms-shn.

There are lots of free concert recordings at the Internet Archive, most of them shorten files.

I tried media-sound/shorten, but that doesn't enable shorten support in any of the media players I tried. In a pinch, you could use it to convert shorten files to wav.

I wasn't aware of xmms-shn. It works perfectly. Thanks for pointing it out to me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: