Running as root?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Running as root? Reply with quote

I heard a lot of times that always running his pc as root is a stupid thing. Hell, even x-chat pops up a panel with a "Running IRC as root is stupid!" everytime I launch it.

So here is my question... is running his PC as root really a stupid thing? What are the problems involved?

I know that I don't have the security of doing "whatever I want" when I am root because I can access and set-up everything but is there any security flaw involved in me running/configuring everything as root, including IRC?

One day or the other I will have to learn how to mess with rights, groups and users but I would like to know before what is really at stake in all of this.

Anyway is there any FAQ that covers the management of users, groups and whatever else might be related to it?
Esben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: well, off the top of my hat... Reply with quote

Generally, running as root means that every security flaw gets upgraded from a local problem to a systemwide problem. E.g:

a virus/trojan can infect a programs in /sbin, /bin and /usr/bin, e.g. bash and init
    a hacker would gain acces to the entire system instead of whatever user is currently running.
    a mistype could prove fatal. E.g: rm .*

As such, it is not a security flaw in itself, but it does peel of one layer of sucurity, leaving each program you run to fend for itself. As setting up a user is really no hassle at all, I don't see why you would run the risk. But it is, of course, entirely up to you :-)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always logged in as root, why not?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: