cedega and civ3 - virtual CD mount problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icantux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: cedega and civ3 - virtual CD mount problem Reply with quote

Hello!

I got cedega the other day (proper version) and followed the instructions over at gentoo-wiki.org for installation (copied the ~small.tar.gz over to the portage dir) and got it working fine.

The problem I have is with running the installation. Again, I followed the instruction at transgaming, thus I click on the install button, specify the location and name of the installer file, in this case "civilization3.exe", and it finds it no problems. I see the main greeting splash screen for civilization 3 but then I also get a prompt (windows-like) asking me to insert the game CD.

I don't have a CD-ROM on my laptop because I'm using 2 hard drives - one in the belly of the machine (windows for work) and the other HDD (60GB) is in the ultrabay adapter, which contains gentoo. What I did was to create an ISO image of the Civ3 CD and then I mount the CD ISO in a loop in order to emulate the CD-ROM drive like so:
Code:
mount -o loop -t iso9660 /mnt/windata/games/civi3.iso /mnt/cdrom/

and that's where I find the "civilization3.exe" which I use for installing the game. (the "/mnt/windata" is a shared partition that resides on the 1st HDD and is FAT32)

To reiterate, at this point it mounts and I see the "virtual CD" but after following the installation procedure I get a prompt to insert the CD... Why can't it figure out that the CD is already "mounted"?

Any ideas how to go about fooling cedega that the CD is in its drive?

thanks!
icantux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no takers?
icantux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. no answers... time to do lots of testing and even more research. :wink:
GetCool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't looked at my Civ3 disc in a while (it's been culturally assimilated by Civ4 on my PC :)), but is it possible that the disc has a copy protection? If it has some version of Safedisc or Securom then the ISO you created just might not work. Although usually it will at least let you install the application.

I don't know if you have a CD-ROM drive to temporarily stick in your machine, but one option is to get it installed from the original disc and then use a no-CD executable (although that would obviously be considered "bad").
icantux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. How can I tell what kind of protection there is? I made the ISO with Nero while in windows. Thing is I have use of the cdrom only if I swap out the ultrabay hdd adapter (which contains gentoo), so I have no CDROM while running gentoo.

Gah. I searched a lot so far but in vain. Even tried creating a symbolic link from /dev/loop0 to /dev/cdrom, but when I load up the game in cedega it still wants me to insert the disk in the CDROM drive.
GetCool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icantux wrote:
Hmmm. How can I tell what kind of protection there is? I made the ISO with Nero while in windows. Thing is I have use of the cdrom only if I swap out the ultrabay hdd adapter (which contains gentoo), so I have no CDROM while running gentoo.

Odds are it uses some version of SafeDisc. You can tell for sure by looking at the contents of the CD; if you see files named something like "0000000001.tmp", "00000000002.tmp", etc., it's SafeDisc.

Alcohol can tear through SafeDisc; you might want to try making your image with that (it's a Windows app).

Of course, you can also just use a fixed .exe file, which is against the rules, but it often works as a much easier solution than mounting a disc image. And it takes less hard disk space.
icantux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, yeah, I inserted the CD into the drive and I see the TMP files there. (I'm in windows now - swapped out the ultrabay hdd with gentoo). ... So I'll need to make a new ISO then - eh?

Where I'm really stuck is installing the game. I can't seem to fool cedega that the CD is mounted (because I have no CDROM drive I can only mount the image (ISO) in a loop device). Dangit. I hope this new ISO will work. If not, I'm at a loss.

Thanks for the tips
GetCool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icantux wrote:
Ok, yeah, I inserted the CD into the drive and I see the TMP files there. (I'm in windows now - swapped out the ultrabay hdd with gentoo). ... So I'll need to make a new ISO then - eh?

Yeah, use Alcohol in Windows, and rip the disc using the "SafeDisc" profile, which will basically do fast error skipping and give you a working image.

Alcohol will create a MDF/MDS file, which you cannot mount directly under Linux. The good news, though, is that there's a utility in portage which will allow you to convert the MDF/MDS to an ISO:

Code:
# emerge mdf2iso

I've never tried it, but I bet it would work.
icantux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! :D

Finally installing Civ 3 on my gentoo. That Alcohol thingy really helped out! I made an ISO directly from that program using the safedisk values (it listed many errors along the way and I didn't hold much hope for this to work). But now I can finally install civilization 3 without those nagging "please insert CDROM" prompts! I wonder if there's a linux port of Alcohol - that program looks quite powerful for backups.

Now that I have a good ISO image of my Civ3 cdrom, I type:
Code:
# mount -o loop -t iso9660 /mnt/windata/games/civ3.iso /mnt/cdrom

then:
Code:
ln -s /dev/loop0 /dev/cdrom

... then I start Cedega and click the install button and point to the "setup.exe" on the mounted "cdrom" device.

Thanks for the heads up.
GetCool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icantux wrote:
Finally installing Civ 3 on my gentoo. That Alcohol thingy really helped out! I made an ISO directly from that program using the safedisk values (it listed many errors along the way and I didn't hold much hope for this to work).

Glad to hear it's working.

FYI, those errors you saw Alcohol report are perfectly normal. The way that SafeDisc actually works is that erroneous sectors are deliberately written to the disc, so that most programs cannot successfully copy the disc. Alcohol just has built-in functionality to quickly skip these erroneous sectors ("fast error skipping"), and it reports them as it does so.

I don't know of any Linux tool able to rip protected CDs like Alcohol (plus a few other Windows apps can do it pretty well, too). I may try to get Alcohol working in Wine, since I could occasionally use it and I have since wiped my Windows partition.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: