Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Backing up my accusations that AMD hates me.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Avid Intel user -> Installing on AMD, correct arch files? Reply with quote

x86 minimal cd should do the trick right, for Athlon-XP cpu? And the arch for make.conf is athlon-xp right? This POS keeps freezing up or giving me Kernel panic's, syncing issues.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. It seems so. Is it overclocked or under cooled?
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you having problems with the cd? or have you already chrooted? did you get the right tarball? addition: I can't tell what your problem with the POS is without more description. I have worked on amd K6-2, Athlon-XP, and Athlon64s, without problem. so unless you have faulty hardware...
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Backing up my accusations that AMD hates me. Reply with quote

One of the computers in the house decided to take a crap, so, I figured I would play around with it.

Attempt #1:
Hardware:
Code:
MSI KM2M Combo-L
AMD 2200+ CPU
PNY 1024MB SDRAM PC133
PNY nVidia GeForce2 Ti
Maxtor 40Gig 8MB Cache 7200 RPM HDD
350W Power supply Generic.

It turned on, attempted to install Gentoo, and even worse when that didn't work, XP. Either attempt (attempts! since there were many tries) failed at different times sporatically rebooting, freezing, and not coming on at all with Windows. And with Linux there were occasional freezes, Kernel Panic's complaining about syncing, and reboots sometimes too. The same happened with it not wanting to come on at all.

Attempt #2
Hardware
Code:
Shuttle AK32V
AMD 1800+
PNY 512MB DDR2100 RAM
PNY nVidia GeForece2 Ti
Maxtor 60Gig 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
300W Power Supply Generic

Now, after I got similar to the same results as the first several attempts with this setup, I began mixing and matching hardware trying to find the missing link(s) in the problem, so to create a 3rd 'scenerio' imagine several days (Since I started trying to figure this out days before now) of mixing and matching components, even mice, keyboards, and monitors to try and figure this problem out.

If anyone has any suggestions, by all means, i'm all ears.
Kathars!s
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi laurcen,

the obvious question (you didn't say anything about this), did you made a memory test ?
theres nothing wrong with my amd hardware for many years but noname memory sux and pny ... no idea, graphic adapters or what are these guys producing ?

and for the testing, stay away from "optimized defaults" in bios, revert it to safe defaults and then set everything according to your needs.

if the spd-eeprom is shitty, set the memory to safe timings (3,3,3).

besides, if it doesn't boot linux theres the possibility of something is misconfigured but if it don't boot xp, it's a bunch of shit :D
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not overclocked that I know of, and it should be cooled plenty, the fan is turning at roughly 5000RPM's and is under no strain that I know of.

For better detailed information see:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-455324-highlight-.html

edit by nixnut: thread merged with this one
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory tests all passed, when it would stay running long enough to reach the last pass. I don't know a whole lot about what you said with the whole 3,3,3 eeprom thing. I'll give it a look in BIOS.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larcen wrote:
the whole 3,3,3 eeprom thing.
RAM timings.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I realize that two at a time is rather unlikely under normal conditions, I have encounterd such behaviour with a dodgy power supply.

Why the new thread?
Kathars!s
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every memory module has an SPD-EEPROM, often called speed-rom but that's false. this chip should contain the timings to auto-configure the module.
there is a huge amount of modules with incorrect timings. in this case, you should check the home page for the correct timings or set safe timings, 333 should be safe for pc2100 ddr modules and for pc133 sd modules.

what do you mean with
Quote:
Memory tests all passed, when it would stay running long enough to reach the last pass

is there a last pass ? or did you mean the last test in the first cycle/pass ? i don't think there is a last pass.
i had an infineon module which showed up errors in the third pass after hours of testing but if your module freezes the whole machine before the last test in the first cycle is reached, there's probably s.th. wrong with it.
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant the last cycle. Being this thing has worn me out for today, i'm going to call it a night, and start anew tomorrow. Thanks for all the input so far, I'll check those eeprom settings first thing.

-Edit-

desultory- You mentioned elsewhere the power supply(s) being a source of the issues as well. Could one be a POS, and the other not powerful enough to give suffiecent power to the CPU?
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly? I forgot I had already posted once already. :/ Sorry.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larcen wrote:
desultory- You mentioned elsewhere the power supply(s) being a source of the issues as well. Could one be a POS, and the other not powerful enough to give suffiecent power to the CPU?

It is possible, but I would need to check on the power requirements of the components before I would consider that strongly, considering that I lack physical access to the hardware.

One test you could do would be to remove every non-essential piece of hardware and try keeping it the system up that way, but it would be easier if you could just borrow a know good power supply of (in this case) 350 watts or greater capacity and give that a try.
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I recently bought a new case/Power supply and it's a 420W unit, but, the main plug is huge, it's like a normal ATX plug with the 12V P4 plug attached, and it certainly won't plug into any Motherboard I own. I'm guessing it's for the latest style Intel/AMD boards maybe? All my luck with hardware lately has gone out the window.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has an ATX+12v connection with the additional pins as a detachable group or mounted so as to clear motherboard components, it should work just fine for testing, otherwise I would not risk it as bad things could happen, nasty pricey things. Do not try to use the power supply unless you know that it is compatible.
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've thrown in the towel. I broke out the brand new 400W Power supply i've been hording for later use, went about exchanging out CPU's, RAM, HDD's, Fan's, Cases, Cords, Wall Recepticals, and even Surge Protectors. And I always end up with the same results. Freezes, Lock-Ups, and won't even turn on's. Can't even get past the Initial BIOS turn on screen sometimes, othertimes I can get into BIOS but rarely be able to exit and continue, or exit and continue and it lock down while 'restarting' Otherwise, I get into booting the kernel for a Linux install, or the first page or two of Windows install, XP and 2000 Professional. I'm going to chalk this one up as Matt - 0 and AMD - 1.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larcen wrote:
Ok, I've thrown in the towel.

Consider this consolation, you now have spare parts that you did not have before.
cybermonkey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more than likely a processor fault.
I had this problem with an athlon-xp 2200, I thought it was screwed but after playing around, It turned out that by nudging the heatsink a nano milimeter out of position, It would do what you are experianing.

Make sure that your heatsink is the right way round, Has plenty of thermal paste, and is well secured to the die.
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Update. Reply with quote

Several days later, several, several hours later and much cursing I've gotten everything to turn on, boot up and into one of the older livecd's, 2004.3 to be exact. It loads to command prompt, and if I do nothing it'll sit right there for approx: 10 minutes, it varies sometimes 5 minutes sometimes 20. I get a scroll of errors, stacks, modules, and about 20 [234234] type scenarios one after the other scrolling down then it locks up. Holding the power button is the only release from this state. I think lighter fluid and a match is this machines only solution.
cybermonkey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Update. Reply with quote

Larcen wrote:
Several days later, several, several hours later and much cursing I've gotten everything to turn on, boot up and into one of the older livecd's, 2004.3 to be exact. It loads to command prompt, and if I do nothing it'll sit right there for approx: 10 minutes, it varies sometimes 5 minutes sometimes 20. I get a scroll of errors, stacks, modules, and about 20 [234234] type scenarios one after the other scrolling down then it locks up. Holding the power button is the only release from this state. I think lighter fluid and a match is this machines only solution.

Processor is screwed. Ebay is your friend.
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just borrowed another CPu from another guy, said it worked last he used it, it's a 1800+ and it's giving the same sort of response. I've googled for and searched these forums for anything with the Unable to handle Kernel NULL Pointer thing with all the wierd lines of code I don't quite understand. Bah, I'll burn it all.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Ha Ha only serious. Reply with quote

Put down the lighter and step away from the computer, keep it for parts, give it to someone who wants to try fixing it or wants it for parts, sell it to some computer store so they can fix it or part it out, just do not burn it, consider the odor.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: