more than one mouse
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruszeal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: more than one mouse Reply with quote

I have a laptop ( DELL Inspiron 4100 ) with multiple onboard input devices, without no way of shutdown them individually off.
One of these input devices does not work properly, and cause the curse to move around randomly.

using cat I have discoverd the faulty device /dev/input/mouse1. Is there someway to instruct the kernel to not load a certain device? Or have this device excluded from the combined device /dev/input/mice?

Thanks in advance.
Russell
_loki_
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for X you can just skip the device in xorg.conf.. Is it your touchpad that's causing trouble, try to use psmouse as a moule and load it with "proto=imps", maybe that helps..
maju
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have only a touchpad and a mouse and you want just the mouse then
run xorgconf and set the mouse "file" to your mouse file (I have is a link /dev/mouse pointing to /dev/usb/whatever_usb_port_you're_using).

It's a primivite solution but will eliminate the annoying touchpad til you solve the problem.

Peace!
ruszeal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: my solution Reply with quote

Sometimes I use the touchpad and sometimes I have an external mouse connected, either USB or ps2, I am using the mouse in the console, so editing the xorg file doesn't help ;)

what I have ended up doing was writing a little script that looks for the device name in /proc/bus/input/devices and figures out which device it is in /dev/input/mouseX and then deletes that file.

I wrote the script because I am not sure if I am guaranteed that it will always be mouse1, say between different kernels, though it's likely that it would be.

In my mind this is a lame solution...but whatever, it's all that I can think of to get it working.

Thanks for your inputs fellas, and fellettes.

Russell

Edit: 4-23-2006: Nevermind, I was hoping that would work, but it didn't... Back to square one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: