View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisTGc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Prob starting Xfce4 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Spent this afternoon trying to get XFCE4 starting but had to do my own fix.

Now,I have very carefully read the Gentoo Wiki re this and tried info from that.No luck.Checked the forums over and tried something anew from there but still same.Went over all again being real carefull and still same prob.TWM always starts.Entering the address of the XFCE4 start or session script in xterm in TWM and i get both XFCE4 and TWM running,not suprising.

Did my own fix which for the info of other Gentoo noobs is as follows;

Login as root and;
# nano -w and type one line;
/usr/bin/startxfce4 crtl+o and save the file as /etc/X11/Sessions/startup-fix
#chmod 755 /etc/X11/Sessions/startup-fix
# nano -w /etc/rc.conf and change XSESSION to "startup-fix" make sure xdm is selected as display manager
# /etc/init.d/xdm restart

Nothing else has worked anyone know why?.

Best Wishes and thanks for the Distro,Chris.

Last edited by chrisTGc on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there !

In order to make my xfce4 running at startup, I emerged gdm (you can use any manager.. but xdm is not good-looking, and since you want to use xfce4, kdm would install useless packages)...

After you only have to modify "/etc/rc.conf" to start gdm.

"/etc/init.d/xdm start" will start gdm and once into it, you'll be able to choose xfce4 as default for all your users.

:)
s0ulslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just add "exec startxfce4" to ~/.xinitrc, should start Xfce fine with startx (minus quotes, of course)
chrisTGc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Prob starting xfce4 Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts.

Tried the GDM sugestion above and that works well,nice.Trashed my fix files (and thought and now,heh heh, GDM wont work but it did).No probs.

But coudnt shut down XFCE4 as user but only suspend or su to root to poweroff which is how i leave this machine when not in use.Got a fix for that;
#chmod 4755 /sbin/poweroff
#chmod 4755 /sbin/halt
Then right click the xfce4 panel and add a new link.Ive got it naned shutdown,comand is /sbin/poweroff,default icon.Be carefull in use there is no dialogue the machine just shuts down.Given the history above of my fixes what is the proper way to do this.As user chris i am in group wheel.

Chris 'Gentoo nOOb #1'
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

For your shutdown and restart, there is a way using SUDO. The trick is explained in the Gentoo Wiki (I think, just search "xfce Gentoo" in Google ;)

It works, but not for me ;) I can't find out why, but when I restart with this way, my Grub is showing a blue screen... but it may work for you :)
alien
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

All as root:
Code:
emerge app-admin/sudo

Start editing the /etc/sudoers:
Code:
visudo

Add:
Code:
username hostname = NOPASSWD: /usr/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

Set correct username and hostname!

Best wishes
s0ulslack
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, Documention for projects is painfully wrote/maintained for a reason. Read it! You can learn howto enable shutdown and all that good stuff as a regular user by reading through the Xfce docs/faqs on the site (xfce.org)
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And the Xfce/Installation - Gentoo Linux Wiki was wrote for Gentoo users that would want to install and use Xfce in Gentoo ;) That's the way we explained here in the thread :)
chrisTGc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Ive read the gentoo wiki on this also at least some on XFCE Reply with quote

Hiya,

I post on the forums becouse ive not been able to fix probs having read the Wiki and at least some of the XFCE4 site and all faq's there.Forums are final resort.

Dont ask me why the instructions on the wiki dont work on this machine i just dont know.They do not here !!.

But probs are solved and thanks for all relevant help.The GDM bit does it all including shutdown although i had to find that out in use,ie newlogin and from GDM System>Shutdown.Like my startup fix the shutdown fix is in the bin,Useing GDM just as emerged with rc.conf edited for GDM and startxfce4.

Chris.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the same problem to shutdown my box from xfce without password until I read this thread, and that even at I was reading the doc on the xfce website and the gentoo sudo doc.

If folk ask for help, it is obvious at they are in need of help. It is so much documentation on linux as the hardest thinks is not to read the doc but to find it. Sometime we will, other time we just fails to find it. We are human, not a god-machine.
chrisTGc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dominique,thats right.

Ime glad youre box fixed to but i hope by emerging GDM.My startup and shutdown fix's are not good practice and eg sessions in XFCE do not get saved.These where ok temporary only.

GDM easy for both start and shutdown in XFCE and sessions get saved ok.See Jeanfrancis post 21 April for details.From desktop newlogin takes you back to GDM login and System from there select shutdown.

best wishes chris.
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use another display manager than GDM as well, but XDM is ugly and KDM installs too much KDE packages if you don't plan to use it :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: