Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Why is there no VMware Tools 5.5 ebuild?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: [Solved] Why is there no VMware Tools 5.5 ebuild? Reply with quote

<<snipped>>

(Edit:)
I would think that it wouldn't be hard to send emails between vmware and Gentoo to get this done, I would figure a little communication and little work and BAM ebuild, ya know?

But.....why is it you see quite the extensive list here:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/intro_supguest_ws.html

Quite a few distributions that *are* supported, why not this one? Why not get the info to make an ebuild? Virtualzation is really taking off, you think that considered this, it would be worth the time becuase it would be used quite a bit.

<<snipped>>

Last edited by InfoManiac on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:22 pm; edited 9 times in total
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ask on bugzilla for a maintainer?
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the reason I haven't as there have been a lot of postingings to it for this sort of thing, seems to fall on a deaf ear, not that I think the gentoo guys are ignoring it (as it it a pretty large databse of errors) just seems to get lot in the shuffle everytime a request is submitted.

Also I did find these links that may be helpfull to the devloper of Gentoo (hint, hint) :wink: :wink:
http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/
http://www.vmware.com/download/open_sources.html

I really wish that this would happen. And that there would be a video dirver for the console as there is one for X, and that's all good and well for when I want to occasionally see the pretties, but totally not the point of Linux (as we know already).

From the looks of it VMware would most likely help out with this if someone would open up the line of communication with them, I am will to bet on that :)
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuild is perfectly good. It just has fetch restriction turned on, probably because you need to agree to some license.

Download the file manually, stick it into /usr/portage/distfiles, and PRESTO! It shall emerge...
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work for Vmware workstations 5.5?

If so please, enlighten me, provide instructions.

I know about the fetch restirictions, and did everything to unmask it and from whaqt I downloaded (5.0 version of the tools) is pointing to vmware.com/<binary>, but maybe I read the wrong thing?

(edit)
Problem is when it comes to vmware, the information is so fragmented and spread out and even when you get a comprehnsive guide (like on gento-wiki) it its self is fragmented and leave the important info out, or is not understandable enough to really get working from the privded instructions if done verabtim

Last edited by InfoManiac on Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to gentoo linux's metadistro nature, it's even harder to do. One gentoo setup can be so staggeringly different from the other they may as well be different distros... and that's why gentoo will probably never be supported, and why ebuilds are so well supported and why it evolves so fast:

Due to the complication nature of gentoo, it has to.
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then I guess why it causes me so much frustration is I don't have that fundemental understanding as to why and how that is (I do kind of....but not in depth neough), by all means I wish soak up that knowledge.

This did bring up another question though (sorry, I am an over analitical person at times especially when it comes to , in my nautre) so, what I suppoe I do not get about that is....wouldn't it be possible to make it compile around the configuration one has chosen? Becuase (and this may be where the limited undeerstanding of how this kind of distro works) Gentoo has thousands and thousands off apps and they all work (mostly anyways) with any config. I have used Gentoo for, so what makes VMware so different?

But you have taught me some stuff that I didn't know before, and that is greatly appreaciated. 8)

Last edited by InfoManiac on Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:32 am; edited 2 times in total
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried again and here is the exact problem:

echo "app-emulation/vmware-linux-tools-5.0.0" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
echo "=app-emulation/vmware-linux-tools-5.0.0" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
emerge app-emulation/vmware-linux-tools-5.0.0

Sasy that this package is an ivalid atom, and then at the bottom of the entire message, asks if I forgot to prefix with =

so:

emerge =app-emulation/vmware-linux-tools-5.0.0

Says
emerge (1 of 1) app-emulation/vmware-linux-tools-5.0.0 to /

next line says it isn't found in /usr/portage/distfiles
mentions the fetch restriciton may be on, and I might have to get manually
the very bottom message says the SRC_URI is at www.vmware.com/Vmware-tools-5.0.0-13124.tar.gz

uhhh...no...vmware doesn't just host bin files directly from www.vmware.com, I have even tried a wget with that to humor portage, wasn't there, go figure

ok, then:

emerge --fetchonly =app-emulation/vmware-linux-tools-5.0.0

Just give an appeded error to what I already get saying it couldn't see errors above.

So what am I doing wrong?

Next, once I have it, and I copy vmware tools from the fake VM CD, is there a way to get this intermingled with the new 5.5 version?

(new)
Ok, so I found under /usr/portage/app-emulation/vmware-linux-tools there are many directories and files there, and I have zero expirience with ebuild util (if that is the correct one to use, I am assuming so as there is a dir with both vmware ebuild) but all attempts to use it (via help form man page) fail and it seems to want to down load from the web instead of building it, also tried (in a sub-dir) to run vmware-linux-tools executbale script and it failed miserably.

So I am on the right track, I think.
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
Well, then I guess why it causes me so much frustration is I don't have that fundemental understanding as to why and how that is (I do kind of....but not in depth neough), by all means I wish soak up that knowledge.

This did bring up another question though (sorry, I am an over analitical person at times especially when it comes to , in my nautre) so, what I suppoe I do not get about that is....wouldn't it be possible to make it compile around the configuration one has chosen? Becuase (and this may be where the limited undeerstanding of how this kind of distro works) Gentoo has thousands and thousands off apps and they all work (mostly anyways) with any config. I have used Gentoo for, so what makes VMware so different?

But you have taught me some stuff that I didn't know before, and that is greatly appreaciated. 8)

I was simply saying that VMware couldn't possibly offer tech support for gentoo, since there is no reference build to base troubleshooting on.
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....yah....I am aware of why, I have read their reason why as well.

SO I understand why _they_ can't, that I get and I understand if I were they I'd leave it up to the <developers of that distro>.....Why can't the Gentoo org. make it, since they'd knwo what it takes and _can_ get the job done? You need not explain it to me I get it 100%. I may've just worded it wrong, sorry about that.

I doubt this so impossible, they sky would fall in if this were persured by them.

Crazy to think things like DirectFB (and related builds) work on a variety of configs like you had mentioned before. I have watched the comiler more than a couple of times, it collects the current critical environment variables for building these software installs are gathered and applied.

I would be like saying that DirectFB group cannot support VM for the same reason, but somehow they got a working driver for VMware in there (via a patch file), and Gentoo just put a wrapper on that for portage.

I am not getting the logic in this, it seems a litlle faulty, and the answers are way too simplified and short. So please, be specific, this one liner sentence stuff isn't really providing much for me to go on. And you just glossed over the entire thing, and just repeated youself, I put exactly what I did down and asked for further assisntance, that reply did not help a whole lot.

Suppose hell will freeze over the day this happens :?:

Oh, and don't tell me vmware-any-any patch works, that gets old to....no it doesn't not for the tools.

I am just trying to undestand, becuase it doens't make sense, especially since they made a masked ebuild of the 5.0 tools that *apparently* works, well jeeze...why not 5.5? And why make it harder than hell to install as well?

You see what I mean? :|
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
the very bottom message says the SRC_URI is at www.vmware.com/Vmware-tools-5.0.0-13124.tar.gz

uhhh...no...vmware doesn't just host bin files directly from www.vmware.com, I have even tried a wget with that to humor portage, wasn't there, go figure

ok, then:

Just give an appeded error to what I already get saying it couldn't see errors above.

File restriction means that *you* have to get the file yourself for some reason. Portage won't get it for you with --fetchonly, because that would defeat the whole purpose.
The SRC_URI is probably just so Portage knows that you need a file called Vmware-tools-5.0.0-13124.tar.gz - once you put that in /usr/portage/distfiles, the fetch restriction flag will change from a red F to a green f.

In short: Go and download the file yourself, I haven't tried vmware-tools but vmware server was pretty straightforward once I gave them the details they wanted.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
I am just trying to undestand, becuase it doens't make sense, especially since they made a masked ebuild of the 5.0 tools that *apparently* works, well jeeze...why not 5.5? And why make it harder than hell to install as well?

Maybe the fact it's hard to install is why it's masked.
Maybe the dev responsible hasn't gotten around to 5.5 yet.
Patience may be needed. If it doesn't work, you're of course welcome to fix it yourself - that's what free software is all about, after all ;-)
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.....now that's the kind of answer I was looking for, it shows wisdom regardless of whether I get the answer on HowTo or not :wink:

Last edited by InfoManiac on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find an easier and better way to get vmware tools working and a better way as well that is it gentoo specific (script wise):

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3225238.html#3225238

All help is **welcome** and **wanted**

Not only would I be gratefull, but many others that can get VMware tools install and working as best as possible as well as it being painless.
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny....very funny......the file URI is www.vmware.com/<filename>, you DO realize VMWare does not just host files like that?

You could attempt to get the file yourself....but you can't! the link it's pointing to (see above) does not exist, you've made a contradictory statement, that you appearntly have not read what I said before about this and have not tested yourself

Archangel1 wrote:
InfoManiac wrote:

ok, then:

File restriction means that *you* have to get the file yourself for some reason. Portage won't get it for you with --fetchonly, because that would defeat the whole purpose.
The SRC_URI is probably just so Portage knows that you need a file called Vmware-tools-5.0.0-13124.tar.gz - once you put that in /usr/portage/distfiles, the fetch restriction flag will change from a red F to a green f.

In short: Go and download the file yourself, I haven't tried vmware-tools but vmware server was pretty straightforward once I gave them the details they wanted.
Boesmann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to their homepage, register yourself and download the file.
I hope that helps.
http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try, but that is not an ebuild

FYI -- I already gave up on this. I have come accross two machine that I now have to run Gentoo on

And you DO NOT have to register to get VMware Tools....is included as of part of the whole package, you may want to framiliarize yourself with the product more.......and possibly Gentoo as well.

This thread is pretty old and I had completly forgotten about it. There is already a guide on the Gentoo Wiki to assist with getting VMware tools installed --- USNIG AN (this is the important part) *EBUILD* -- not the origional one from vmware.

Oh....I almost forgot......that didn't help. :?

FYI - this topic is *dead* let it GO!
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
FYI - this topic is *dead* let it GO!

QFT :roll:
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Your comments] > /dev/null :wink:

And how about Enligsh..............acroynms, no thanks, I haven't the time of day to remember every single one so I can understand you .....so QFT back at you (whatever....*that* meant) :roll:

Going to re-state myself

Let it go...... :?

All you are doing is resurrecting this thread instead of letting it die off, so.......let it go, that ship had set sail long time ago, I had completly forgotten about this thread, thanks for reminding me iit's around.

<<no longer watching this topic via email notifiers, say what you will at this point, but it goes into the void>>
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
All you are doing is resurrecting this thread instead of letting it die off, so.......let it go, that ship had set sail long time ago, I had completly forgotten about this thread, thanks for reminding me iit's around.

<<no longer watching this topic via email notifiers, say what you will at this point, but it goes into the void>>

I will then :-)
According to me, I posted about seven hours after you did, so the ship didn't really set sail that long ago now did it...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: