can't backup a DVD, xdvdshrink and dvd::rip don't work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: can't backup a DVD, xdvdshrink and dvd::rip don't work Reply with quote

Ok, Im about to pull my hair out at this point. I just used xdvdshrink a few days ago for the first time, and it worked flawlessly. I went at it again today (got more blank discs finally) and I can't get anything to work. I first tried dvdshrink on 2 movies, and both times (multiple tries on each) it fails at the same place, it can't re-multiplex the movie.
Code:
Remultiplexing                            Working!Error!

DVDShrink has failed!
   Error:
      -> mplex reported an error re-multiplexing the MPEG2!
   Command run:
      -> nice -n +19 mplex -f 8 -o /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.mpg /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.m2v /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.ac3 2> /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/mplexdebug.txt

Check all your files etc. If it appears that the problem is
   ephemeral restart the script with 'dvdshrink --restart'

End of command output
   ---------------------------------------

INFO: [mplex] Sequence end marker! Running out...
   INFO: [mplex] Run out PTS limit to AU 17 67073 SCR=2779
   INFO: [mplex] Video e0: buf=  17290 frame=000013 sector=00000009
   INFO: [mplex] Audio bd: buf=  16125 frame=000008 sector=00000008
**ERROR: [mplex] Need to split output but there appears to be no %d in the filename pattern /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.mpg

See the log file at /home/pparson/LionWitchWardrobe.log for more information.
   Exiting!

Thank you for using OzWare!

And the above mentioned log file
Code:

04/21/06 23:55:00    M2V re-quantization completed. Elapsed time [00:47:15]
                     New video stream size 4058542375
04/21/06 23:55:08    Re-multiplexing of /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.mpg started.
04/21/06 23:55:08    nice -n +19 mplex -f 8 -o /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.mpg /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.m2v /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.ac3 2> /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/mplexdebug.txt failed!
                     mplex reported an error re-multiplexing the MPEG2!
                     Run terminated!

Output of debug file

INFO: [mplex] mplex version 1.8.0 (2.2.4 $Date: 2005/08/28 17:50:54 $)
   INFO: [mplex] File /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
   INFO: [mplex] File /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.ac3 looks like an AC3 Audio stream.
   INFO: [mplex] Video stream 0: profile 8 selected - ignoring non-standard options!
   INFO: [mplex] Found 1 audio streams and 1 video streams
   INFO: [mplex] Selecting dvdauthor DVD output profile
   INFO: [mplex] Multiplexing video program stream!
   INFO: [mplex] Scanning for header info: Video stream e0 (/tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.m2v)
   INFO: [mplex] VIDEO STREAM: e0
   INFO: [mplex] Frame width     : 720
   INFO: [mplex] Frame height    : 480
   INFO: [mplex] Aspect ratio    : 16:9 display
   INFO: [mplex] Picture rate    : 29.970 frames/sec
   INFO: [mplex] Bit rate        : 8000000 bits/sec
   INFO: [mplex] Vbv buffer size : 229376 bytes
   INFO: [mplex] CSPF            : 0
   INFO: [mplex] Scanning for header info: AC3 Audio stream 00 (/tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.ac3)
   INFO: [mplex] AC3 frame size = 1792
   INFO: [mplex] AC3 AUDIO STREAM:
   INFO: [mplex] Bit rate       :    57344 bytes/sec (448 kbit/sec)
   INFO: [mplex] Frequency      :     48000 Hz
   INFO: [mplex] SYSTEMS/PROGRAM stream:
   INFO: [mplex] rough-guess multiplexed stream data rate    : 8633400
   INFO: [mplex] target data-rate specified               : 10080000
   INFO: [mplex] Setting specified specified data rate: 10080000
   INFO: [mplex] Run-in Sectors = 89 Video delay = 13019 Audio delay = 16022
   INFO: [mplex] New sequence commences...
   INFO: [mplex] Video e0: buf=      0 frame=000000 sector=00000000
   INFO: [mplex] Audio bd: buf=      0 frame=000000 sector=00000000
   INFO: [mplex] Scanned to end AU 16
   INFO: [mplex] Sequence end marker! Running out...
   INFO: [mplex] Run out PTS limit to AU 17 67073 SCR=2779
   INFO: [mplex] Video e0: buf=  17290 frame=000013 sector=00000009
   INFO: [mplex] Audio bd: buf=  16125 frame=000008 sector=00000008
**ERROR: [mplex] Need to split output but there appears to be no %d in the filename pattern /tmp/LionWitchWardrobe/LionWitchWardrobe.mpg

So I tired to use dvdrip and figured I'll do it the other way, well it for some reason wants to take 5 hours to rip the movie!!

So for the love of god (allah, whoever) is there some simple way that works to back up a movie? or some way to fix dvdshrink?
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well dvdrip speeds up during its run, but twice now its failed with the following message:

Code:
 WARNING: it seems that transcode ripping stopped short.
The movie has 205595 frames, but only 197217
were ripped.  This is most likely a problem with your
transcode/libdvdread installation, resp. a problem with
this specific DVD.

The DVD is brand new. It got most of the movie, but the first 15 minutes or so.

Edit: when I looked at the files xdvdshrink got, it missed the same amount of movie.
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vobcopy doesn't work either. It hangs on the 1 gb vob files.

Im assuming this must be some base package that they all use. Im on AMD 64, so the following packages are masked:

>=app-cdr/dvdshrink-2.6.1-r1
>=app-text/gocr-0.40
>=media-video/mplayer-bin-1.0_pre7-r3
>=media-libs/win32codecs-20050412
>=media-video/transcode-1.0.2-r2
>=dev-perl/gtk2-perl-1.104
>=dev-perl/glib-perl-1.104
>=app-cdr/dvd+rw-tools-6.1

I tried the unmasked transcode, and it doesn't fix anything.

Does anyone have any ideas?
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What DVD are you trying to back up? By any chance from Sony / Disney?
If so, their copy protection breaks xdvdshrink and - so far as I can tell -
all linux tools. There are workarounds in windows (dvdfad + dvdshrink
for example).

Advice from someone who knows about this stuff would be very
welcome!
overkll
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can shrink and backup sony / disney dvds with only linux tools, but's its time consuming. Use the steps in this howto except for the ripping section. Use the steps below instead.

This method doesn't make an exact duplicate. This means no menus or chapter info.

Tools needed:
libdvdcss - to open/play dvd
mplayer - to rip dvd to file
avidemux2 - to create a shrinkable mpg file
trancode - to demux, shrink and multiplex
dvdautohor - to create dvd filesystem from shrunken mpg file
dvd+rw-tools (growisofs) or k3b or ... - to write dvd filestructure to dvd disc

Rip dvd to disc:
1. Figure out which dvd title you want. One can figure it out using mplayer. Usually tiltle 1 or 8 is good. Just issue the command "mplayer dvd://". If it's not the desired title, stop it and try mplayer dvd://1, ...//8, ...//2, ...//3,...//4, etc. until you find which is the correct one.
One wouldn't want previews/trailers or other garbage, would they?

2. Now dump desired title to disc. Use the title (if any) with the mplayer command:
Code:
mplayer dvd://<title no. if any> -dumpstream -dumpfile /<path>/<filename>.vob

3 Open avidemux2 and open the dumped file. DON"T PLAY IT! Select "yes" when prompted to index file. Then select "Mpeg A+V (PS)" from the "Outp. fmt" drop down list at the lower left hand side of the avidemux2 window. Then click "Save" and save the file as /<path>/<desiredname>.vob. Make sure it isn't the same filename as in the previous step. If someone knows a command line method to do this, I'd like to see it. :)

The file can now be used to continue with the rest of the howto.
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two things:

1) you should try out k9copy I have found it to be the best native linux copy/shrinking dvd program.

2) Second, I use dvddecrypter and dvdshrink under wine for any really troublesome dvd's. I noticed that you are using an amd64 system so you will have to find a binary version of wine because (unless something's changed I don't know about) wine will not compile in a 64 bit environment.

Here is a great little page on how to dvddecrypter and dvdshrink under wine
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overkll wrote:
One can shrink and backup sony / disney dvds with only linux tools, but's its time consuming. Use the steps in this howto except for the ripping section. Use the steps below instead.

This method doesn't make an exact duplicate. This means no menus or chapter info.

Tools needed:
libdvdcss - to open/play dvd
mplayer - to rip dvd to file
avidemux2 - to create a shrinkable mpg file
trancode - to demux, shrink and multiplex
dvdautohor - to create dvd filesystem from shrunken mpg file
dvd+rw-tools (growisofs) or k3b or ... - to write dvd filestructure to dvd disc

Rip dvd to disc:
1. Figure out which dvd title you want. One can figure it out using mplayer. Usually tiltle 1 or 8 is good. Just issue the command "mplayer dvd://". If it's not the desired title, stop it and try mplayer dvd://1, ...//8, ...//2, ...//3,...//4, etc. until you find which is the correct one.
One wouldn't want previews/trailers or other garbage, would they?

2. Now dump desired title to disc. Use the title (if any) with the mplayer command:
Code:
mplayer dvd://<title no. if any> -dumpstream -dumpfile /<path>/<filename>.vob

3 Open avidemux2 and open the dumped file. DON"T PLAY IT! Select "yes" when prompted to index file. Then select "Mpeg A+V (PS)" from the "Outp. fmt" drop down list at the lower left hand side of the avidemux2 window. Then click "Save" and save the file as /<path>/<desiredname>.vob. Make sure it isn't the same filename as in the previous step. If someone knows a command line method to do this, I'd like to see it. :)

The file can now be used to continue with the rest of the howto.

Well that got me a vob of the full movie. But when I try and use mplex on the command line, I still get the same error (makes sense). avidemux2 is masked, and unmasking it just gave me some circular dependency crap that I don't feel like messing with. K9copy won't work, and when I took the disk to a windows machine with dvdshrink, it can't do it either. So if theres some way to make a DVD from a single vob file, that doesn't involve using mplex, I think it would work.

Oh, and the disk is a Dimension film.
mean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidemux2 can do the shrink also and create the mpeg file, all in one go
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speeddemon wrote:
avidemux2 is masked, and unmasking it just gave me some circular dependency crap that I don't feel like messing with. K9copy won't work, and when I took the disk to a windows machine with dvdshrink, it can't do it either.

mean wrote:
avidemux2 can do the shrink also and create the mpeg file, all in one go
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to use dvddecrypter first then dvdshrink. Dvdecrypter will strip the dvd of any pesky copy protection. Set it to make an iso then open us iso with dvdshrink.

once again this can all be done on wine. I have never run into a movie I can't get to work. Sometimes at the end the dvddecryptor process it will hang at 99% but just abort---don't delete incomplete iso---and use dvdshrink and all is good.
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobspencer123 wrote:
you need to use dvddecrypter first then dvdshrink. Dvdecrypter will strip the dvd of any pesky copy protection. Set it to make an iso then open us iso with dvdshrink.

once again this can all be done on wine. I have never run into a movie I can't get to work. Sometimes at the end the dvddecryptor process it will hang at 99% but just abort---don't delete incomplete iso---and use dvdshrink and all is good.

Oh well, too bad, but Im not installing wine. I won't have any other use for it, and its still questionable on AMD64 last I checked. I already have a big enough package.keywords file. Thanks though.
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: some dvds cannot be "backed up" Reply with quote

1. the error msg in your initial post says:
Quote:

did you check that? sounds like you set it to split the files somehow but did not pass the right params (" %d") and the other errors result from this one.

2. i agree with bobspencer that k9copy is the best dvd-requantizer (!=transcoder) for linux (it's in portage and runs on my amd64. never more than 40mins for dvd9 to dvd5). try it. it uses vamps for requantizing and transcode etc. is unnecessary.

3. if a dvd cannot be "backed-up" i'd try this sequence of tools: vobcopy, then mplayer --dumpfile, then dd, then dd_rescue, then GIVE UP. some dvds just cannot be copied. (if you use dd(_rescue) use vobcopy with the file-option on the mounted file.)

if you want to transcode the movie (rip it to xvid, theora, "divx", ...) you don't need anything besides mplayer because mencoder just got everything for that (almost).
m707
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: can't backup a DVD, xdvdshrink and dvd::rip don't work Reply with quote

speeddemon wrote:

There is a vob-split in the input and that isn't easy to fix IMHO. I once circumvent that problem, but it is a pain:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.transcode.user/18947/match=mplex+problem

IIRC I read something about fixing this issue in one of the last lxdvdrip CHANGELOG.

So probably it is worth a try to emerge ~arch lxdvdrip.

HTH
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: