Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Graphical rc-update replacement (called "servant")
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momesana, is the new version even close?
momesana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
Momesana, is the new version even close?

I should have looked at the forums a little more regularly ... I didn't think anybody was still using servant. Meanwhile I had been forced to use kubuntu for a while and didn't have the time to work on servant. If interest is still there let me know so I can roll out a new version.

thanx in advance
momesana
in the world I see, you're stalking elk throught the grand canyon forests, around the ruins of the rockefeller center. You'll wear leather clothes, that will last you the rest of your life... (Tylers Vision)
momesana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just asked emerged and it turned out Openrc is still masked and gentoo is still using baselayout-1.2.x. It doesn't look like they will ever move over to openrc :-(. That was probably one of the reasons I stopped continuing the development of servant.
in the world I see, you're stalking elk throught the grand canyon forests, around the ruins of the rockefeller center. You'll wear leather clothes, that will last you the rest of your life... (Tylers Vision)
ArneBab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

momesana wrote:
Just asked emerged and it turned out Openrc is still masked and gentoo is still using baselayout-1.2.x. It doesn't look like they will ever move over to openrc :-(. That was probably one of the reasons I stopped continuing the development of servant.

GentooXO already uses OpenRC :)

- http://www.gentooxo.org/

pkgcore: So fast that it feels unreal - by doing only what is needed.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a great many of us that are using openRC/baselayout2.
There is even an migration guide

Also I've seen chatter on irc that many devs are getting impatient about it going stable.
ArneBab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the main reason for not making it stable would be:

Quote:
Migration to OpenRC is fairly straightforward; it will be pulled in as part of your regular upgrade process by your package manager. The most important step actually comes after you install the new >=sys-apps/baselayout-2 and sys-apps/openrc packages. It is critical that you run dispatch-conf and ensure your /etc is up to date before rebooting. Failure to do so will result in an unbootable system and will require the use of the Gentoo LiveCD to perform the steps below to repair your system.

(from the migration guide)

I'd say that this is a bug to be fixed. Else a great many Gentoo systems will become unbootable once baselayout-2 goes stable.

pkgcore: So fast that it feels unreal - by doing only what is needed.
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many (I think probably most) gentoo users use ~arch and I believe there is a definite need for something like servant if you are interested in porting it.
momesana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
Many (I think probably most) gentoo users use ~arch and I believe there is a definite need for something like servant if you are interested in porting it.

I tried to upgrade to openrc and it was hell! I had done it last year and didn't have many issues but this time nothing worked, so I eventually gave up. The issues were:
* net.lo wasn't there anymore so I couldn't symlink any network devices to it ... had to call dhclient manually to get internet connectivity ...
* the migration guide tells me to add udev to sysinit but this runlevel doesn't exist at all. Is that an issue with the migration guide not being up to date?
* Using the versions provided by portage (instead of using the overlay) I can't install the latest version 9999 because of missing keywords and the latest ~arch one because it blocks with sysvinit
* couldn't use virtual terminals anymore ... no bash except in the virtual consoles! Crazy issue that I never had before.
* Poweroff stops at some point ... I have to use the sysrq Keys to reboot/poweroff the system by then resulting in an unclean filesystem ...

All in all, an awkward experience. I downgraded to the normal baselayout. If someone can tell me how to switch to openrc proper without having all these issues (and yes I used etc-update before rebooting) I promise to port servant in no time :).

Thanks in advance
momesana
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that when I upgraded a long time ago, it went fairly well. If your box is that far behind, you have a long update process to get it current.
momesana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
All I can say is that when I upgraded a long time ago, it went fairly well. If your box is that far behind, you have a long update process to get it current.

The system is up to date. It just doesn't use OpenRC. It uses the baselayout 1.2 and friends since I don't use ~x86 but x86.
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, the stable arch and the ~ arch are so different, you can hardly call them the same distro, I have for the longest time used the ~amd64 arch that I couldn't even imagine using stable. You may consider upgrading one day, the ~ arch seems to be the one where bugs are fixed the quickest.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember having any issues going to baselayout 2 on my older athlon-xp machine. I think I had a few minor problems that resolved quickly.

I just recently was able to get some bucks together and built a new core2 quad machine :mrgreen: . I switched it to baselayout 2 from the start of the install :)
I've been running ~amd64 with few issues.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this is a GUI for rc-update?
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: