distcc question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtlosx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: distcc question Reply with quote

hey guys, a question... here's my scenario..

i have two gentoo boxes, have been using distcc on them for months now, they both were compiled with
Code:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/specs
Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5-r1/work/gcc-3.4.5/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/i386-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.4.5 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/include/g++-v3 --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu --build=i386-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-checking --disable-werror --disable-libunwind-exceptions --disable-multilib --disable-libgcj --enable-languages=c,c++,f77 --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.5 (Gentoo 3.4.5-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)

and everything worked just fine... today, i recompiled one of my machines, to be

Code:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/specs
Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5-r1/work/gcc-3.4.5/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.4.5 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/include/g++-v3 --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-checking --disable-werror --disable-libunwind-exceptions --disable-multilib --disable-libgcj --enable-languages=c,c++,f77 --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.5 (Gentoo 3.4.5-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)

what happened was, i configured gcc to be i686, rebuilt it.. and rebuilt the system using the make.conf i have had with distcc and things were perfect, then i was onto the world.. it got half way through the world to like pam and shadow i believe, and i got this error.. so i figured, it just rebuilt distcc and it needed to be restarted... so surely enough, it wasn't running... i started it up, and got the same error....

now..... all of a sudden, compile jobs sent to the first machine, won't work..... they have these strange wrrors, and when i comment out the features that have distcc in them, things work just fine........ i will post an error when i get one next, i just uncommented it out to make it work..

but i'm just wondering, is there any reason for this to be happening... this shouldn't be causing a problem now would it.. from what i understood about distcc, it's for reasons like that, to build for other architectures, as long as the gcc versions weren't a whole version up and the versions are both 3.4.5-r1 so things should be fine right? I'll post a specific error when i get it... but i just wanted to get some info as to whether this should be a problem or not.... thanks!
TerranAce007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some packages don't like distcc and don't compile properly, but for the most part, portage automagically disables distcc for those compilations. Is it a distcc error, or an error in the compile process? If so, which packages?

Try FEATUTRES="-distcc" emerge whatever to temporarily disable distcc and see if that works for those packages.

Then it's hilarious.
xtlosx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i disabled it for that one package, think it was like pam-login or shadow, then when it was done, i re addedd distcc to make.conf, it had like 50-60 packages left to emerge, and it finished without errors... it's odd how that worked.. i have never had this problem before and i've done this a few times... weird... but just wanted to know if that would cause any issues in theory..
Meradan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recently seen these errors myself. Everything was working fine with distcc, and the only emerge errors I got was because of a bug in a USE flag in a package. But last week I wrecked my root partition forcing me to reinstall, and now it seems that alot of packages break using distcc when they are being linked for some reason
xtlosx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... well it was just for one package, and like i said, i just didn't use distcc for that package, and now it's working just fine... strange, never had this happen...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: