View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troubador
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Fluxbox, fbsetbg and root-tail Reply with quote

I'm trying to setup my background image in fluxbox. In my ~/.fluxbox/startup, I have this:

Code:
fbsetbg -f ~/graphics/wallpaper.jpg

And when I start fluxbox, I get this pop-up error:

Code:
fbsetbg: Something went wrong while setting the wallpaper.
Run 'xv -max -smooth -root -quit /home/user/wallpaper.jpg' from an xterm to find out what.

Following the advice of the error:

Code:

~$ xv -max -smooth -root -quit /home/user/wallpaper.jpg
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major Opcode:  4

I've tried loading the bg with xv straight from the fluxbox style, and, while that works, there are strange buffering issues with my root-tail such that it doesn't get drawn until I run a window over it or something's written onto the log. Does anyone know what I can do about this error message or how to suppress it?
misho
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would unmask and emerge hsetroot.
Then you can set your background with fbsetroot -u hsetroot [filename]. At least, do so the first time, fbsetbg will remember it after that, or it might use it by default anyway. On my computer, running fbsetbg -i yields:

Code:
hsetroot is a nice wallpapersetter. You won't have any problems.

(In case you don't trust me :P )
troubador
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome :D Works perfectly. Just so it's even more clear to anyone else who stumbles on this post: fbsetbg can or always uses other wallpapersetters to actually manage the wallpaper. "fbsetbg -u hsetroot" establishes hsetroot as the "wallpapersetter" for fbsetbg.

Apparently the error that came up was from the wallpapersetter (xv, most likely) that was originally associated with fbsetbg. So, changing that, things are now fine. "fbsetbg -i" outputs the wallpapersetter currently associated with fbsetbg. It so happens that hsetroot is a nice one, and that no problems come up when using it :wink:

Thanks, misho!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: