Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
startup screen: how to get [ok] to the left (edge)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: startup screen: how to get [ok] to the left (edge) Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if I could apply some sane typographical conventions to the startup screen, which currently (flushright) gives

Code:

some startup message                                              [ok]
some other startup message                                        [ok]

For wide screens it is a pest to see which [ok] (or other message) belongs to which line, so a better solution would be (also applied in the better typeset books) to put the status message in closer contact to the message, like

Code:

[ok]  some startup message
[ok]  some other startup message

Of course, it might be hard to write to the beginning of the (with some messages previous) line, and then a second, slightly less aesthetically pleasing alternative (raggedleft)

Code:

some startup message   [ok]
some other startup message   [ok]

So, the question is, where do I have to change some settings to get the above, and which settings?

TIA,

Erik
thpani
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find these functions in /etc/init.d/functions.sh
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about

Code:

Message .............................................................................. [ OK ]
Message 2 ............................................................................ [ OK ]

In /etc/init.d/functions.sh change the following for the "..."

Code:

RC_DOT_PATTERN='.'

equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thpani, roderick,

Thanks for pointing out '/etc/init.d/functions.sh'.

Now I realize that what I would like to do would probably require too much of a hack. I hadn't taken multiline e-messages into account enough: as the terminal output is line-based it is hard as is. But if one could retrace one's step on the console, it seems even harder because the number of extra lines might be difficult to ascertain.

On the other hand, what do I know about shell scripts and the console, it might be easy for someone who does

Anyhow, I'm dropping this...

BTW, roderick, the dotted line might help a bit if there were only one-line e-messages, but even then it is considered typographically questionable (by some, recently including me).

Erik
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

equaeghe wrote:
thpani, roderick,

Thanks for pointing out '/etc/init.d/functions.sh'.

Now I realize that what I would like to do would probably require too much of a hack. I hadn't taken multiline e-messages into account enough: as the terminal output is line-based it is hard as is. But if one could retrace one's step on the console, it seems even harder because the number of extra lines might be difficult to ascertain.

On the other hand, what do I know about shell scripts and the console, it might be easy for someone who does

Anyhow, I'm dropping this...

BTW, roderick, the dotted line might help a bit if there were only one-line e-messages, but even then it is considered typographically questionable (by some, recently including me).

Erik

Definately, I was just pointing out an option. The practicality of which depends on how pretty/ugly you want the display. For multi-line messages, this definately turns ugly.

If all init scripts followed a particular standard, this could be overcome. However, I guess we aren't going to remove the multi-line output or make it anymore appealing anytime soon, so you are probably stuck with what we currently have.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: