Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installation failing on virtual/xft. Please Help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaedgE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Installation failing on virtual/xft. Please Help! Reply with quote

Hello guys!

I was trying to install gentoo on a couple of servers to run some experiments for a study, but it's failing and I can't figure out why! I already have one gentoo server from 2 months ago that is running perfectly (and has since impressed my boss, hence the request for several more). I've tried on 2 systems and a laptop, and they all failed with the same error:

Code:
Calculating dependencies   

!!! '=virtual/xft' is not a valid package atom.
!!! Please check ebuild(5) for full details.
!!! (Did you specify a version but forget to prefix with '='?)
Exception received:
EmergePackageError :FATAL: emerge: Could not emerge virtual/xft!
Please submit a bug report (after searching to make sure it's not a known issue and verifying you didn't do something stupid) with the contents of /var/log/install.log and /tmp/installprofile.xml and the version of the installer you us

Here's what installer.log.failed reports:
Code:
GLI: April 25 2006 20:03:08 - Exception received during 'Installing additional packages.': EmergePackageError :FATAL: emerge: Could not emerge virtual/xft!
GLI: April 25 2006 20:03:08 - Traceback (most recent call last):
GLI: April 25 2006 20:03:08 - File "/opt/installer/GLIClientController.py", line 165, in run
    self._install_steps[self._install_step]['function']()
GLI: April 25 2006 20:03:08 - File "/opt/installer/GLIArchitectureTemplate.py", line 355, in install_packages
    self._portage.emerge(installpackages)
GLI: April 25 2006 20:03:08 - File "/opt/installer/GLIPortage.py", line 222, in emerge
    raise GLIException("EmergePackageError", "fatal", "emerge", "Could not emerge " + pkg + "!")
GLI: April 25 2006 20:03:08 - GLIException: EmergePackageError :FATAL: emerge: Could not emerge virtual/xft!

And here are the USE flags that I'm using for installation:
Code:
X alsa apache2 apm applet -arts audiofile avi bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 c++ cdr cdrom chroot cli corba crypt ctype cups dba dvd dvdr dvdread -eds -elf elibc_glibc emacs emacs-w3 -emboss -encode -esd ethereal examples exif expat fam fastbuild firefox foomaticdb force-cgi-redirect -fortran ftp gd gdb gdbm gif glut glx gmp gnome gnuplot gnustep gpm graphviz gs gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile icc idn imlib inline ipv6 java -java-external javascript jpeg kde kernel_linux key-screen lcms leim libg++ libwww mad memlimit mikmod mng motif mozilla mp3 mpeg mpeg2 ncurses nls nptl ntfs ogg opengl openssh -oss pam pcre pdflib perl php png posix postgres python -qt -quicktime readline samba sdl session simplexml slang -soap sockets spell spl ssl swat tcltk -tcp tcpd tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev userland_GNU vorbis x86 -xemacs xml xml2 -xmms xsl xv zlib

Any help would be greatly appreciated! The quicker the better... I need to have something up and running by Friday! :(

Thanks in advance!
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of these xfe problems around, if you have an older livecd I'd try running that.
EnigmaedgE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

this is my first time encountering such a problem. The odd thing is that I've used this same CD on a previous install, approximately 2 months ago. This leads me to believe I have funky USE flags being set (since I can never remember what USE flags I choose from install to install) or something's up with an ebuild on the portage tree.

Again, thanks for any help or words of advice!
Steve.long
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnigmaedgE,
I am also failing on the "emerge virtual/xft". I believe the "ebuilds" file named xfce-extra is the real problem.
Bugzilla has 5 bugs about xfce-extra, all are of status NEW. One of these from late last year complaints about not being able to get the "ebuilds" file for xfce-extra due to an incorrect length. If this is the same problem, then I don't understand how it could have been around so long without everyone complaining.
I am able to install from the livecd if I use a "snapshot" download of the portage tree, which is a zipped tar file of the entire portage tree. This only works if I do not choose to add any additional packages. If I try to add even one package I believe the installer must do an "emerge --sync" that messes up my local copy of the portage tree and later causes the "emerge virtual/xft" to fail. This is the same package with which you are having trouble. After doing a successful install with no extra packages, I can boot my system but when I try "emerge --sync" it repeatedly hangs on trying to get the "ebuilds" file for xfce-extra. Each time my system retries it accesses a different mirrow. So the problem is not with one mirrow having a bad copy of the xfce-extra file.
EnigmaedgE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok...

Well, at least I'm not going crazy. But this still doesn't explain how I completed an installation several months ago with no problem. I'm not including any exotic USE flag and I'm not including any extra packages other than net-snmp, nmap, netcat, iptables, traceroute, vim, and ethereal.

I've tried you suggestion of including a portage snapshot link and NOT including any of the above mentioned packages (although this defeats the purpose of having the "Include any other packages" screen). I've also unchecked 'X' from my USE flags (although, that may fail if something else depends on it). Has someone reported this as a bug? Has anyone else encountered this anomaly?

Wish me luck!
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This xfce-extra thing is an enigma for me. I don't have it in portage at all, is it an overlay ebuild? I do have several xfce4's and some other xfce packages, but no '-extra'

{update} Scratch this post, I saw your other one Steve.Long, just happened to read this one first, sorry :-p
Steve.long
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alienjon,EnigmaedgE,
Hoping to fix things, I did another install with no additional packages using the 2006.0 stage3 instead of the latest stage3. This also produced a successful install, but when I tried to add "gnome" with "emerge --pretend gnome" I got the following results:

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies .. ...done!
[blocks B ] virtual/xft (is blocking x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6)
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libpng-1.2.8-r1
[ebuild N ] app-admin/eselect-1.0
[ebuild N ] app-admin/eselect-opengl-1.0.3

Notice the virtual package "virtual/xft" is blocking the "x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6" install. (The x11 package must be required by gnome). To try to remedy this I next tried to remove the virtual/xft package with "emerge --pretend --unmerge virtual/xft" and got the following results:

>>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:

--- Couldn't find vitual/xft to unmerge.

>>> unmerge: No packages selected for removal.

Therefore, my system thinks "virtual/xft" is blocking "x11", but it also can't find "virtual/xft" it remove it. I am very new to Gentoo and am not sure if "virtual" is needed in the name when unmerging a virtual package, so I tried again with "emerge --pretend --unmerge xft" and got the following similiar results:

>>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:

--- Couldn't find xft to unmerge.

>>> unmerge: No packages selected for removal.

I next tried to sunc the portage tree again with "emerge --sync". This time it timed out on a file other than "xfce-extra". The previous day it had timed out three times on the same file "xfce-extra".

I don't know where to go from here. Is there a way to make the emerge command access a previous known good version of the protage tree. If you notice from the above sequence my emerge comands were failing while using my system's local copy of the portage tree which had just been obtained with the snapshot downloaded during the immediately preceeding install. Is there a particular snapshot version that is known to work?

I may be having two problems. One with "virtual/xft" and the other with "emerge --sync" (I may now be on a blocked list from trying to sync too often due to problems?) Is everyone else having working Gentoo systems able to "emerge --sync" ok?
Steve.long
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alienjon,EnigmaedgE,
After reading the Gentoo Handbook again, I see that one can not remove virtual packages with "emerge --unmerge virtual/xft" (if a virtual package is a Metapackage).

From the Gentoo handbook:
//
Metapackages

Some packages in the Portage tree don't have any real content but are used to install a collection of packages. For instance, the kde package will install a complete KDE environment on your system by pulling in various KDE-related packages as dependencies.

If you ever want to remove such a package from your system, running emerge --unmerge on the package won't have much effect as the dependencies remain on the system.
//

Therefore, if I install Gentoo without specifying/adding any additional packages, then I get a system with the virtual package "virtual/xft" installed. And this system can't have the "gnome" package added to it because "gnome" requires "x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6" and "x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6" is being blocked by "virtual/xft", which can not be removed.

I feel like Gilligan on the island, I need a smart person to figure this out.

Reading further from the Gentoo handbook again I may be able to remove a metapackage that no longer has any dependences installed. But I don't know why virtual/xft was installed on my system and what packages depend on it. I must remove them before running the commands specified in following portion of the Gentoo handbook. If there are packages which depend on "virtual/xft" and I remove them then will my base system continue to work (remember I added no additional packages during my install)? If there are no packages which depend on "virtual/xft" then why didn't the developers do the following steps and remove "virtual/xft" from the stage3? Remember, I can not do a clean install of Gentoo while adding just the one package of "gnome" during the install. I think something is broken. From further in the Gentoo Handbook:
//
Portage has the functionality to remove orphaned dependencies as well, but since the availability of software is dynamically dependent you first need to update your entire system fully, including the new changes you applied when changing USE flags. After this you can run emerge --depclean to remove the orphaned dependencies. When this is done, you need to rebuild the applications that were dynamically linked to the now-removed software titles but don't require them anymore.

All this is handled with the following three commands:

Code Listing 16: Removing orphaned dependencies

# emerge --update --deep --newuse world
# emerge --depclean
# revdep-rebuild

revdep-rebuild is provided by the gentoolkit package; don't forget to emerge it first:
//

I will try the above commands on my systems tonight to see if it helps.

I am new to Gentoo and this is my first real install. Does Gentoo really work most of the time?
kruszn72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve.long wrote:

I will try the above commands on my systems tonight to see if it helps.

I am new to Gentoo and this is my first real install. Does Gentoo really work most of the time?

Thanks for your detective work on this. I had the very same problem with xft blocking an install of gnome on my new gentoo system. I tried the commands you posted from the handbook, and I am emerging gnome now.

I still have to see if Gnome works...

Thanks!
CloudBolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might try comparing
Code:
emerge -pv gnome

and
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" emerge -pv gnome

(replace arch with your architecture, e.g. ~amd64 or ~x86), to see if you might be able to emerge the unstable packages. if the second command doesn't block anything, you should check which package(s) is/are updated when using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. don't use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to emerge gnome though, because that might break your system. instead, add the packages you need to emerge unstable to /etc/portage/package.keywords:
Code:
echo "package-class/package-name" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

now try another
Code:
emerge -pv gnome
and if it still blocks repeat these steps until you find the package, or combination of packages that has to be updated so that it doesn't block anymore.
DOS is a boot partition virus.
cybermonkey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same error installing gnome-light when doing emerge -pv gnome-light.
I got around this by emerge xorg first and then gnome.
slipF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Problem emerging x11 Reply with quote

hey, ive got a bit of a problem emerging fluxbox or kde or anything else involving x11. I just installed gentoo on this system yesterday.
When I try to emerge anything I get a package conflict error, and when i use emerge -avt fluxbox I get this output

These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies  ...done!
[blocks B ] virtual/xft (is blocking x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r7)
[ebuild N ] x11-wm/fluxbox-0.9.14-r1 -disableslit +gnome +imlib +kde +nls +truetype -xinerama 656 kB
[ebuild N ] virtual/x11-6.8 0 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/imlib2-1.2.1.009 +X +bzip2 -doc +gif +jpeg +mmx +mp3 +nls +png -tiff +zlib 893 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/giflib-4.1.4 +X -rle 591 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libid3tag-0.15.1b -debug 330 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/jpeg-6b-r5 598 kB
[ebuild N ] x11-terms/xterm-207 -Xaw3d -doc -toolbar +truetype -unicode 727 kB
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/utempter-0.5.5.6 20 kB
[ebuild N ] app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r3 2 kB
[ebuild N ] virtual/xft-6.8 0 kB
[ebuild N ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r7 -3dfx -3dnow +bitmap-fonts -cjk -debug -dlloader -dmx -doc -font-server -insecure-drivers +ipv6 -minimal +mmx +nls -nocxx +opengl +pam -sdk -sse -static +truetype-fonts +type1-fonts (-uclibc) -xprint +xv 45,134 kB
[ebuild N ] x11-apps/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r3 19 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/fontconfig-2.2.3 732 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/freetype-2.1.9-r1 -bindist -doc +zlib 969 kB
[ebuild N ] x11-base/opengl-update-3.0.0 0 kB
[ebuild N ] app-admin/eselect-opengl-1.0.3 41 kB
[ebuild N ] app-admin/eselect-1.0 +bash-completion -doc 142 kB
[ebuild N ] media-libs/libpng-1.2.8-r1 -doc 375 kB

Total size of downloads: 51,237 kB
emerge --unmerge virtual/xft does not work, the package does not exist on my system I dont think.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!
gentop
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try
Code:
emerge -C xft
and then
Code:
emerge fluxbox

//gentop
slipF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i entered emerge -C xft, "----couldnt find xft to unmerge.", then when emerging fluxbox it gave th e same blocking error.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to not have all the info to help you with this, but this is a problem that has come up before:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-457625-highlight-.html

I don't know if they have found a resolution yet or not, but that should at least get you in the right direction.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:
I hate to not have all the info to help you with this, but this is a problem that has come up before:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-457625-highlight-.html

Therefore merged here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
slipF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve.long wrote:
Alienjon,EnigmaedgE,

# emerge --update --deep --newuse world
# emerge --depclean
# revdep-rebuild

revdep-rebuild is provided by the gentoolkit package; don't forget to emerge it first:
//

this did the trick, thanks!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: