View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Just installed, reboot, type startx, says command not found Reply with quote

Hi I just installed Gentoo. I followed all of the install procedures and then it said to reboot. My Grub came up fine, everything seemed to boot fine. But it didn't startx. It just brought me to the command line. I figured okay, I just need to type startx, or startkde. I tried both of those and it says:
bash: startx: command not found.
Could someone please le me know what I need to do to fix this?
Thanks,
:?
Albino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed xorg or not. If not go with the modular install, its pretty easy now that it's no longer hard-masked. Then you'll need a window manager or desktop enviroment. If you have installed these, I'm barking up the wrong tree obviously.
mutlu_inek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome to the Gentoo community!

Have you actually installed X.org and KDE? If not, see these links:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml

// edit //

Albino is right, you might want to go to modular X directly. But it involves some advanced system management and AFAIK there is no guide to do it from scratch (i.e. without having installed xorg in the first place). The migration guide (from the above X.org) is found here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml

You could just ignore Code Listing 2.1 and 2.2. Check the upmost xorg guide for configuration, though.

I you don't want xgl or don't know what it is, maybe go with the standard first and get used to using Gentoo's features before diving into this.

Good luck!
brisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your help Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm unfamiliar with emerge-ing and I assumed that X set up somewhere along the way because I used the genkernel from the livecd. but I'm doing emerge xorg-x11 now. it is running so I'll probably have a lot better luck after finishing these HowTos. I just couldn't find them on the website for some reason...impatience probably.
Thanks again. :)
brisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: X still not working-getting this error Reply with quote

Hi,
I followed both of these links. I did startx and got twm, but my mouse is running very slowly across the screen. I followed the kde howto and did the emerge kde-meta and that took about two days. It finished this morning. I followed the rest of the kde instructions and then did the startx. It tried to start, but then came back with this message:

Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++) from command liine (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) Not implemented, (??) unkown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Apr 29 11:07:27 2006
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Using vt 7
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/local/, removing from list!
/root/.xinitrc: line 1: exec: startkde: not found

waiting for X server to shut down.

Any ideas what I need to do to fix this?
Thanks,
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit your .xinitrc file in your home directory and give the complete path for startkde

for example, exec /usr/kde/3.4/bin/startkde
brisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Awesome-Thank you Reply with quote

:lol:
Awesome. that works great.
Thank you.
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, dont run X as root. Its very bad practice.

If any program you are using has a security flaw that has not yet been patched and someone exploits it. then the would gain root access to your system, instead of a lesser privileged account.

You might also want to look into installing kdm, as then you wont have to "startx" each time.
tom-snj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I'm in the correct forum....................

Similar issue except with me its gnome. Finally made my way through several install attempts. Yesterday I emerged Gnome (I assume it's modular, as it wasn't included in the kernel). Several hours of compiling and when I enter the command (and I've tried all variations) both as root and a user:
# gnome / Gnome / startgnome / startGnome / startgdm / start gnome / start Gnome - etc,etc
command not found

Now "startx" will work but I had no intention of installing X.

Any ideas how I get gnome to start ??

Regards,
Tom
mutlu_inek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom-snj wrote:
Gnome (I assume it's modular, as it wasn't included in the kernel)

You misunderstand.
"Modular" refers to packaging big projects (like Gnome, KDE, or X) as many small packages so that they update more easily instead of putting everything into one big package.
"Module" on the other hand is what 'winspeak' knows as 'driver'. Usually with "module" all those 'drivers' are meant that are not compiled as a solid part of the kernel but instead as separate modules that are to be loaded explicitly (or not loaded) during boot.

tom-snj wrote:
Now "startx" will work but I had no intention of installing X.

You may not have intended to install X, but you did and you (or portage) did right so. Gnome, KDE and all the other desktop envoronments / window managers run on top of X (the windowing system).

To start Gnome with X edit you ~/.xinitrc (~ stands for your home directory, so make sure that you do this as the user that you intend to start X/Gnome) and put "exec gnome-session" into it. Now startx should start Gnome.
mutlu_inek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please disregard tom-snj's question here, since has opened another thread there: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3292253.html

Brisk, could you please add [solved] to the topic title?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: