Can't get IP from DHCP on LiveCD!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyoungxxxx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Can't get IP from DHCP on LiveCD! Reply with quote

I don't understand what the hell could cause my Gentoo Installation CD to stop getting IP's from the DHCP router and from the DSL modem after I updateded packages on MEPIS that was installed to partition 1 on SATA. After I did that update overnight MEPIS couldn't get an IP and I couldn't get an IP when booting from the Gentoo livecd. I have Ubuntu running right now on partition 1 instead of MEPIS and it is getting on the internet fine. What the hell could MEPIS have done to keep me from getting an IP address with Gentoo.

I would like to know how to do DHCP requests with ifconfig if somebody doesn't mind. I just don't see how I can't be getting an IP when i did before with same gentoo installation CD and being that it is a CD and shouldn't have any data changed. All of that data goes to memory and then gets erased after I reboot so i'm lost there.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Gentoo, I like your style keep it up!
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your dhcp server is still functioning properly and check your network cable and card.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
jyoungxxxx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Network Card and Cable are fine Reply with quote

I'm using the internet now so it isn't the equipment. I'm in Ubuntu and I don't have any problems.

I remember running out of space during the installation after "chroot" to the new system and I just copied the data to a partition on the hard drive and haven't gotten any further yet because of the internet not working.

How do you do a IP request from the DHCP?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: