Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Everything finally works! (+minor things inside)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-PaiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Everything finally works! (+minor things inside) Reply with quote

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted here.

After my second-last Gentoo installation I again went back to Windows, there's always something not working and I always end up switching to another OS.
This time I decided to go for a stable (no ACCEPT_KEYWORDS) x86_64 installation with -O2 and all just works now, portage and revdep-rebuild wise anyway :wink:

It would be great to have you guys help with some minor issues and questions I'm having though:

1) My firefox (1.5.0.2) is, for some reason, defaulting to http://www.arizona.edu/ when I start it rather then my manually set homepage, what gives?

2) Neither through "installing the plugin", nor through Flash's site, nor through portage can I get a flash player to work for the 64 bit version of Firefox, is there any way to fix this?

3) The "Lock Screen" button in my XFCE 4.2.3.2 is not functioning (it does nothing) could this be due to the fact that I'm using XSESSION: Xfce-4 and the Displaymanger line is still commented out?

4) What's the best Office suite and PDF reader?

5) I've got 4x180GB NTFS formatted partitions, is there any easy way to convert them to a native Linux system? Would Ext3 be the best for file storing or would ReiserFS suffice?

6) Finally, my refreshrates, ever since I used Gentoo 2500.0 on my Athlon-XP a year or two ago I haven't been able to get them to work using modelines, can you guys help me with this? I'm using an iiyama Visionmaster Pro (HM204DT A) monitor that has a horizontal sync of 30.0 - 142.0 and a vertical sync of 50.0 - 200.0.
Two resolutions that I need to get to work at least are 1280x960-24@125Hz and 800x600-8@200Hz, those are for Diablo II and Quake 3, and I've got a LAN party coming up!
wafox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Well - I'll do the best I can for ya... Reply with quote

Quote:

1) My firefox (1.5.0.2) is, for some reason, defaulting to http://www.arizona.edu/ when I start it rather then my manually set homepage, what gives?

from the menu "edit > preferences > general" you'll find that setting.

Quote:

2) Neither through "installing the plugin", nor through Flash's site, nor through portage can I get a flash player to work for the 64 bit version of Firefox, is there any way to fix this?

There is no 64 bit version of flash to work with firefox 64. I found this link very helpful http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AMD_64#Macromedia_Flash_Under_AMD64_with_firefox

I emerged the -bin package (a 32 bit version so java and flash would work without any issues)

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_firefox_with_java_on_amd64

Quote:

3) The "Lock Screen" button in my XFCE 4.2.3.2 is not functioning (it does nothing) could this be due to the fact that I'm using XSESSION: Xfce-4 and the Displaymanger line is still commented out?

sorry can't help here don't use XFCE

Quote:

OpenOffice IMO. PDF reader...I'm using Evince (part of gnome) and cups-pdf to print pdf's.

Quote:

5) I've got 4x180GB NTFS formatted partitions, is there any easy way to convert them to a native Linux system? Would Ext3 be the best for file storing or would ReiserFS suffice?

no idea I don't do anything windows sorry.

Quote:

6) Finally, my refreshrates, ever since I used Gentoo 2500.0 on my Athlon-XP a year or two ago I haven't been able to get them to work using modelines, can you guys help me with this? I'm using an iiyama Visionmaster Pro (HM204DT A) monitor that has a horizontal sync of 30.0 - 142.0 and a vertical sync of 50.0 - 200.0.
Two resolutions that I need to get to work at least are 1280x960-24@125Hz and 800x600-8@200Hz, those are for Diablo II and Quake 3, and I've got a LAN party coming up!

I use a DVI monitor so it auto detects but I think the modelines would be something like this (someone correct me if I'm wrong I'm going off memory):

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor"
HorizSync 30.0 - 142.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 200.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen 1"
Device "videocard"
Monitor "monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

as long as your video card can do it.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.

If you want the 'Lock Screen' button to work, you will need to emerge either xscreensaver or xlockmore.

It is very easy to change your NTFS partitions so that linux can easily read/write to them. Just run 'mkfs.reiserfs /dev/whatever'. If you search the forums, you will see threads about the benefits of ext3 or reiserfs.
E-PaiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the move, I wasn't sure where to post it, but figured since I'm still in the process of installing I'd put it there.

Results so far:

1) The startpage doesn't work, as I said I had already set my own homepage. I've now changed it to http://www.google.com/ and it still defaults to the arizona site for some vague reason.

solved
2) The flash player now works, thanks wafox! 8)

solved
3) The lock screen now works, thanks mark_alec! :D

4) I'd like some more input on the Office suite and PDF program

5) I always thought mkfs would format a partition rather then convert it? I will read up some more, but would still like more input on filesystems and how to do this.

6) My xorg.conf was already set up like that, but the highest refreshrate it allows me to set my monitor at 1280x960 is still 85Hz regardless of horizontal or vertical refresh rates...this has never worked, it only used to work using modelines generated with this modeline generator...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
jspeybro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe read some nice info on different filesystems here: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388
it's a debian oriented website, but as filesystems are not specific to the distribution, it's usefull.
http://counter.li.org - Registered Linux user #295636
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

4) I'd like some more input on the Office suite and PDF program

Alternatively, you could use Abiword, but I didn't like it - when I tried it last, it seemed unstable ...
Another option would be KOffice, if you are willing to install all that KDE dependencies.
Or, if you want it hardcore, LaTeX. :roll:

Quote:

5) I always thought mkfs would format a partition rather then convert it? I will read up some more, but would still like more input on filesystems and how to do this.

Don't know about this, but what's about manually creating ext3 partitions and copying all files from the NTFS ones to the ext3 ones?
If you like speed, you can use the filesystem ReiserFS (I wouldn't recommend Reiser4 as it's a bit unstable).
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use OpenOffice, but its not for everyone.
If you need a full office suite for Linux Openoffice is the best, but there is also Koffice and a couple of others.
The big thing about OpenOffice is that it has the best compatibility with MS Office files of the lot.
Beware it takes awhile to compile and hence there is a Binary version in portage.

On the filesystem front, I am not aware of anyway to convert an NTFS Partition to a Linux friendly one, thank M$ for their lack of openess on this one. The only way would be to back stuff up to somewhere else and format the partitions with your prefered Linux Filesystem.
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-PaiN wrote:
6) My xorg.conf was already set up like that, but the highest refreshrate it allows me to set my monitor at 1280x960 is still 85Hz regardless of horizontal or vertical refresh rates...this has never worked, it only used to work using modelines generated with this modeline generator...

just out of curiosity, is your monitor a tft connected via dvi? if so, you might try connecting it via the db-15 cable and checking the osd on the monitor to see if it is running at the specs you want then - you will have to stop and restart X/framebuffer if not the PC for the change to take effect. i found that my monitor is driven at 60Hz regardless of xorg config when connected via dvi, and i found a few mentions of this behavior in other forums. i'm not sure why, but when connected by the old db-15 cable, i can specify whatever i want and it works - right now it's 1280x1024@75. however when connected via dvi, my xorg config has no effect at all. in one forum (i don't remember in which i found it) a guy was stuck at 70Hz while mine is always 60Hz.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Everything finally works! (+minor things inside) Reply with quote

E-PaiN wrote:

Okay. This may sound silly, but have you, by accident, changed the permissions on the ".mozilla" directory under your home directory? I can't think of any other reason why it won't work. :?

E-PaiN wrote:

I don't use a pdf reader much, so KPDF suffices for me, though it is a very simple reader without any bells and whistles.

As for OpenOffice.org, one of my friends has successfully managed to ditch MS Office in its favour, so unless you use functionality that is very specific to MS Office, I think OpenOffice.org will be a more than suitable replacement.
E-PaiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Evince and Openoffice it is.
When starting any ooffice program it gives the error "root/%U" does not exist, or something along those lines (I'm typing from work here). When I adjust the shortcut the programs start just fine. Should I leave it like that or solve it? I can't search for it on google or these boards because of the /% part :?

Quote:

Quote:

Okay. This may sound silly, but have you, by accident, changed the permissions on the ".mozilla" directory under your home directory? I can't think of any other reason why it won't work. :?

So far I haven't chmodded anything, I've just emerged the regular mozzila-firefox-bin. I'd like to mention that the homepage did work on mozzila-firefox, the compiled version, but there I couldn't find the plugin directory for the flash plugin.

Quote:
just out of curiosity, is your monitor a tft connected via dvi? if so, you might try connecting it via the db-15 cable and checking the osd on the monitor to see if it is running at the specs you want then - you will have to stop and restart X/framebuffer if not the PC for the change to take effect. i found that my monitor is driven at 60Hz regardless of xorg config when connected via dvi, and i found a few mentions of this behavior in other forums. i'm not sure why, but when connected by the old db-15 cable, i can specify whatever i want and it works - right now it's 1280x1024@75. however when connected via dvi, my xorg config has no effect at all. in one forum (i don't remember in which i found it) a guy was stuck at 70Hz while mine is always 60Hz.

No, it is a regular CRT monitor connected via it's D-Sub (VGA) connector to the DVI port of my Geforce 7800GTX using a DVI -> VGA converter.

I'll sort the partitions out later, I can at least access them, I've placed them in my fstab as read only so I won't accidently screw up, and now I can at least access my MP3 and stuff.
I suppose I'll convert them to Ext3 one by one by copying all data and then reformat them.

My main priority right now are the refresh rates.

I'd like to mention that I've upgraded to modular Xorg version 7 as well, but I don't think that will make a lot of difference.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: