View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suck_ma_penguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything works fine in the stable branch, and there has been plenty of warning on here. If you run ~arch, then you have to accept that sometimes stuff breaks. Hence UNstable.
marcos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Ran emerge sync (yesterday) and the problem disappeared. :)
Code:

Yoda portage # eix xorg-server
* x11-base/xorg-server
     Available versions:  1.0.2-r6 1.0.2-r7 [M]1.1.0-r1
     Installed:           1.0.2-r7
     Homepage:            http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
     Description:         X.Org X servers

Found 1 matches
Yoda portage # eix nvidia-glx
* media-video/nvidia-glx
     Available versions:  1.0.6111-r3 1.0.6629-r7 1.0.7167-r3 1.0.7174-r5 1.0.7667-r1 1.0.7676-r3 1.0.8174-r2 1.0.8178-r1 1.0.8756 1.0.8762
     Installed:           1.0.8762
     Homepage:            http://www.nvidia.com/
     Description:         NVIDIA X11 driver and GLX libraries

Found 1 matches

Hope it happens 2 every1 :)
Master_d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to try Xgl to see if it works but I uninstalled nvidia-glx in order to install the new xorg-xerver and now I can't start xgl because I need nvidia glx. I don't want to downgrade xorg and I cannot reinstall nvidia glx because it is blocked. is there a way to force it to install even though it's not supposed to work with the new xorg? I just want to see if Xgl will still work

edit: how does portage know what blocks what? is there a file that tells portage which packages should not be installed together?
NaiL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can found that in the nvidia-glx ebuild.

Code:
/usr/portage/media-video/nvidia-glx/...

if you alter this file it must be digested before you can emerge it.

Code:
ebuild <some ebuild file> digest
CloudBolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master_d wrote:
I want to try Xgl to see if it works but I uninstalled nvidia-glx in order to install the new xorg-xerver and now I can't start xgl because I need nvidia glx. I don't want to downgrade xorg and I cannot reinstall nvidia glx because it is blocked. is there a way to force it to install even though it's not supposed to work with the new xorg? I just want to see if Xgl will still work

edit: how does portage know what blocks what? is there a file that tells portage which packages should not be installed together?

you don't need the latest xorg-server to run XGL/compiz. xorg-server-1.0.2 will do, and will also work with the binary drivers
DOS is a boot partition virus.
Master_d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaiL wrote:
you can found that in the nvidia-glx ebuild.

Code:
/usr/portage/media-video/nvidia-glx/...

if you alter this file it must be digested before you can emerge it.

Code:
ebuild <some ebuild file> digest

Thanks man... worked like a charm. I'll remember this if I need to install packages that block one another in the future

@CloudBolt

I didn't want to downgrade xorg mainly because it takes so freakin' long to compile :P
NaiL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i don't recomend you to do so. xD

If you have time is better to have a overlay directory and put your stuff there.

i think there is some tutorial for this... wait a minute :P

yes there is one :) http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds
CosminG
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg 7.1 with latest nvidia with xgl works :D
ennservogt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: @CosminG Reply with quote

@CosminG: What versions of nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel do you use? What computer do you have (especially cpu and architecture)? Looking forward to hear from you.
CosminG
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have
Code:
x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1
media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8762
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762
x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_p20060619-r2

If I try to install nvidia, it does the conflict:
Code:
# emerge -av nvidia-glx

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[blocks B     ] >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99 (is blocking media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762)
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762  USE="dlloader" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

!!! Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed
!!!        at the same time on the same system.

but I do it like this:
Code:
# emerge -av nvidia-glx --nodeps

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762  USE="dlloader" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

Install Xgl: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: @CosminG Reply with quote

ennservogt wrote:
@CosminG: What versions of nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel do you use? What computer do you have (especially cpu and architecture)? Looking forward to hear from you.

Man like a ton of people in this thread have said the exact same thing. Latest xorg and nvidia work great with XGL. If you don't use xgl, turn RenderAccel "false" in your Xorg.conf and it's fixed.

I don't understand why this is such an issue to so many people when there's very simple solutions.
m4chine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always use
Code:
emerge --nodeps <package>
to by pass any blocking that you are sure is safe.

cheers!

-m4chine
s1n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: No Reason For Unmasked? Reply with quote

What are the rules that determines what packages are masked in the official portage tree? I do not understand why if so many people are reporting problems that the latest xorg server has not been masked. It may be many more moons before NVidia updates their drivers, so I cannot perform any updates unless I manually mask it myself? Someone really dropped the ball on this one; who's responsible for this??
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: No Reason For Unmasked? Reply with quote

s1n wrote:
I do not understand why if so many people are reporting problems that the latest xorg server has not been masked. It may be many more moons before NVidia updates their drivers, so I cannot perform any updates unless I manually mask it myself? Someone really dropped the ball on this one; who's responsible for this??

Actually, for x86 and amd64 xorg 7.1 remains in testing because of this issue. I don't agree that it should be hard masked, since it's easy enough to mask the handful of packages which cause the problem (see the first post in this thread for details).

If you find masking a half-dozen packages to be a problem, perhaps you would be happier running a stable system instead of testing. You would just now be seeing a stable xorg 7.0, and wouldn't see 7.1 until the new drivers are released. The fact that testing is as clean as it is can make people forget that it requires tweaking and workarounds for some packages to run properly.
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg-server-1.1.0-r2 and nvidia-glx are working fine IF I start X with startx. If however I use a DM, the font's won't work. With startx I don't even have to add --ingoreABI switch (or whatever that was).

I tried to compare DM's initscript with startx-script but the stuff went way over my head. Would anyone know what the difference between those two is?
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas of when the latest nvidia drivers will be in portage?
radfoj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigun89 wrote:
Any ideas of when the latest nvidia drivers will be in portage?

what you mean with latest ... they are not in portage yet?
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest nvidia drivers are in Portage. nvidia-drivers that work properly with xorg 7.1 have not yet been released. I haven't been to the nvnews forums recently to see if there's further info on when they've been released.
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
The latest nvidia drivers are in Portage. nvidia-drivers that work properly with xorg 7.1 have not yet been released. I haven't been to the nvnews forums recently to see if there's further info on when they've been released.

Ahh... someone told me in a chatroom that the drivers compatable with 7.1 were release... my bad.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick check on the nvnews forums. According to NVidia devs who post there, no release date has been set by NVidia. A forum moderator there said the unofficial date NVidia is looking at is in August. I don't know what, if any, real information there is behind that.

Others have pointed out NVidia's history of a major driver release every six months (with bugfix releases happening more frequently). By that metric, November would be the likely date.

The likelihood is that this driver will also include the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap opengl extension allowing it to deliver maximum performance under Xgl and AIGLX (it won't work at all with AIGLX until this is implemented). In their eyes, there is probably not a big enough base of Linux users to justify release engineering for two major driver releases, one for ABI support and one for AIGLX/Xgl support. That would make a later date more likely.
stahlsau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Man like a ton of people in this thread have said the exact same thing. Latest xorg and nvidia work great with XGL. If you don't use xgl, turn RenderAccel "false" in your Xorg.conf and it's fixed.

ACK. I'm running it now and it works flawlessly. With RenderAccel turned on, there are some font anomalies like disappearing text and stuff, but when it's turned off, no more problems. And opengl and stuff still works, so no problems with gaming too.
lachish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: sternklang's post on page one fixed mine Reply with quote

I am running on an IBM Thinkpad 43P, that contains an ATI chipset. I followed sternklang's post on page one of this thread, and used EXACTLY the same lines in package.mask (even though his is a NVidia card), and ran "emerge --update world".
My system runs perfectly with the ATI driver set like it did before my upgrade of xorg-server.

The downgrade fixed all issues, and OpenGL is working fine.

I could NOT use the Xgl package as a workaround, because I depend on VMware Workstation for my job, and there are issues with that app.

Anyway, my thanks to sternklang! :)
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: 'xorg-server' blocking 'nvidia-drivers' Reply with quote

Last night I rebooted my machine, and then Xorg wouldn't start because of problems loading the Xorg ATI drivers. I have a dual-head setup that goes like this:

1. Screen 0: Nvidia Gforce4 MMX 440 (AGP)
  2. Screen 1: ATI Radeon 7000 (PCI)

In saw that the 'x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati' had a newer version in portage that I needed to unmask with the '~x86' keyword which also required unmasking 'xorg-server'. I have now upgraded xorg-server to version 1.1.1 which also pulled in 'media-libs/mesa'.

Ok, so the good news is that the Xorg ATI driver is working again, but the 'nvidia' driver won't load because of missing GLX extensions. I tried emerging the new 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers' which include GLX and I get this:

Code:

[blocks B     ] >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99 (is blocking x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.8762-r1)
[ebuild  N    ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.8762-r1  USE="dlloader" 0 kB

Does anyone know how to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers? I was thinking of trying 'emerge --oneshot', but I figure that the it's blocked for a reason.
Let me guess, you picked out yet another colorful box with a crank that I'm expected to turn and turn until OOP! big shock, a jack pops out and you laugh and the kids laugh and the dog laughs and I die a little inside.
coolsnowmen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously, type in your subject into the forums search

you might have gotten something close to this

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-446362-highlight-xorgserver+blocking+nvidia.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-458721-highlight-xorgserver+blocking+nvidia.html
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just my two cents, others might disagree...

i emerged --nodeps the nvidia drivers when i received this error and all is ok. there were some problems with fonts immediately after though the quick fix is to set renderaccel = "false" in your xorg.conf - you may also need to set render = "false" - i did. from what i read, the font problems may be more severe with kde - i use fluxbox.

there are proper solutions to this problem out there, however i ran into endless problems with each and eventually gave up, fixing it the brutal way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: