Gentoo on a Pentium 3 system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Llamoverlord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on a Pentium 3 system Reply with quote

In my computer tech and networking class we're geting to the part where we put the operating systes on the machines. I decided to go with gentoo. I tried my 2005 disc for x86 architecture, but it tells me to type shell or something like that, and won't load the livecd enviorment. Is there a version of gentoo that will work with a pentium 3 processor and an scsi harddrive?

The error:
Code:

>> Determining root device...
!! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
please specify a device toboot, or "shell"for a sgell...
Boot() ::
Moorenkopf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, you perhaps need to load some kernel modules to get things working.
Which ones exactly I cannot say for I don't know the computer you're using. It would help if you google for your hardware + kernel.

Moorenkopf
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forums.

You should check the cd is ok using the md5 file. Try using another live-cd. If you have one, try using a [k|g]noppix live-cd.
When you're able to boot, look at the output of lspci.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Llamoverlord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to welcome me, I alread yhave an account, forgot the password.

The cd is fine, and knoppix runs on the computer. I can't load anything at the moment. If you look at the error in the first post you'll see what I mean. And can gentoo run on an scsi harddrive?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llamoverlord wrote:
If you look at the error in the first post you'll see what I mean. And can gentoo run on an scsi harddrive?

Genkernel has some trouble with SCSI devices, but Gentoo works great if you configure your own kernel.
Llamoverlord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Llamoverlord wrote:
If you look at the error in the first post you'll see what I mean. And can gentoo run on an scsi harddrive?

Genkernel has some trouble with SCSI devices, but Gentoo works great if you configure your own kernel.
Hm.

But about the error I'm getitng. What of that?
bjd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the LiveCD has a 'doscsi' boot option, it should be mentioned if you hit F2 for extra boot options when the Cd loads. Its been awhile though and I may be thinking of the Knoppix CD however :)
I can confirm though that Gentoo will run fine from SCSI drives, just seems the LiveCD doesn't like yours.

If Knoppix boots fine you can use that to install from, the LiveCD isn't the only install environment.
Top Tips in life, #7
"Olympic athletes. Disguise the fact that you've taken steroids by running a bit slower."
Llamoverlord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How?
bjd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To install from Knoppix?

Alternate Install Methods, section 3
Top Tips in life, #7
"Olympic athletes. Disguise the fact that you've taken steroids by running a bit slower."
gentoobobby
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having the same problem as you im using riaded drives have my root partitions set to ext3 and i cant figure out what to do
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gentoobobby.

You will need to be a bit more verbose, if you want us to make relevant suggestions.
Tell us the hardware you have. You talk about RAID. Do you mean hardware RAID, fake RAID or software RAID? If hardware RAID, what device do you have? Look at lspci. If you don't know, post the output so we can help you. Are you stuck at the partitioning? Don't know what filesystems to create or where? What are you trying to do?

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
infectedwaffles
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay I finally remembered my main accounts password.

Anyways, I ahve slots for multiple harddrives, does it matter where the harddrive is on the raid system?
thedrez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infectedwaffles wrote:
Yay I finally remembered my main accounts password.

Anyways, I ahve slots for multiple harddrives, does it matter where the harddrive is on the raid system?

I would think so... Assuming you've got an HDD cage for hot-swapping, then you have to know which slot is SCSI ID 0,1,2,...X Either the HDD cage is labeled (stickers, plastic is stamped, etc.) **OR** you will have to look for pinouts on the printed circuit board of the HDD cage for the SCSI ID settings **OR** the best option (probably) is to look at the BIOS startup screen while the computer is booting to see what the SCSI controller is reporting. Most SCSI controllers will load a BIOS setup screen during h/w config. There are too many different vendors to list all possible combinations of options that will be displayed, but usually you'll see a table layout listing SCSI Channel, SCSI IDs, LUNs, Device Type (HDD, CDROM, etc), connection speed (10,20,40...).

Next, what you NEED to know is whether this is hardware based RAID setup? Is it just a normal SCSI controller connected to a hot-swap cage (means no RAID, just looks like it)? You can also use the SCSI controllers BIOS setup screen to tell... If the setup screen offers a key-combination to enter the "Setup" program (i.e. mine is Cntrl-M) then use that to get in. WARNING: Don't change anything at random, you can totally hose your system this way (wanna know how I know?). Look in the "Setup" screen and see whether or not you are even being offered options to create/modify/delete logical arrays. If you cannot see any such options on the very first screen - - chances are very good that it is NOT a RAID controller at all. If you do see these options, then you can look (but don't touch, unless you have very good documentation on the different options available) at what drives are participating in the physical/logical raid devices. Also from this boot up process, determine your controller manufacturer, model, firmware (if available), bios (if available) and setup (scsi channels, scsi ids of attached drive(s), luns (probably won't need that)).

As for the CD boot, in the original post - - - - If this is a hardcore PIII system (like an old PIII Dual/Quad - Xeon system), then you might have multiple SCSI controllers. One cheap, slow one for the CD, tape drives and other "generic" SCSI devices **AND** one fast controller dedicated to the HDDs. In this case, you will need all the manufacturer, model and scsi id information for these devices.

Typically, Primary IDE channel master is device hda, PriIDE slave hdb, SecIDE Master hdc, SecIDE slave hdd - - - whether or not devices are there.

SCSI is different, in that it depends one whether a device is plugged in and running or not...
Setup 01 - 2 regual SCSI controllers - 1 slow for CD, 1 fast for HDDs
Channel 0, SCSI ID 5, CDROM - sda
Channel 1, SCSI ID 0, HDD - sdb
Channel 1, SCSI ID 3, HDD - sdc
Channel 1, SCSI ID 4, HDD - sdd

Setup 02 - 1 regular SCSI && 1 RAID controller
Channel 0, SCSI ID 0, HDD - n/a
Channel 0, SCSI ID 1, HDD - n/a
Channel 0, SCSI ID 2, HDD - n/a
Logical Array formed by SCSI IDs 0,1,2 above form - sda
Channel 1, SCSI ID 3, CDROM - sdb

These are just examples, but I hope it demonstrates the myriad of possibilities in configuration problems and troubleshooting. NOTE: that in Setup 02, it is HIGHly dependent on whether the kernel has a device driver loaded for the RAID controller as to whether or not it will see the RAID array, at all. At least that's my experience with hardware RAID. On software RAID (I'll include ide/sata cards that use drivers and bios settings to get raid working - software RAID), the kernel will see through the BIOS settings (your BIOS configured array) and display the individual drives instead of the defined array.... at least until you get a driver loaded... and if you've never been through that chicken-and-egg problem... I'd say your better off using software RAID provided by the kernel.

If you're still having problems.... Post A LOT, LOT, LOT more information than you're giving...
D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: