View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agavenwurm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for going Half-Topic, but I think a better way to do this would be the "Report Post Mod" of the phpBB2, giving users the possibility to report Posts with a small "!" Button next to the "Quote"-Button.

Moderators then get a list (and, if requested, a popup like the one shown, when a new PN arrived) of reported posts, if there are any new ones...
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=28820

I remember discussing this before, can't find the thread though (if it was one). I'm kind of afraid getting tons of "abuse" reports if reporting was that easy :wink:
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That feature would actually be a good thing. If it were implimented and abuse reports skyrocketing, I would be willing to help you moderate if necessary.
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
That feature would actually be a good thing. If it were implimented and abuse reports skyrocketing, I would be willing to help you moderate if necessary.

Ditto here. I really want to help out, because Im not really good with tech support. It would be nice to give something back!!!
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:

Me too. :lol:
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think everyone who uses the forums would turn into a pseudo moderator which is a good thing but what happens if people abuse it for instance if a load of windows users come and press it on every article?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
i think everyone who uses the forums would turn into a pseudo moderator which is a good thing but what happens if people abuse it for instance if a load of windows users come and press it on every article?

Simple. Just let the final authority remain with the real mods. ;)
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Simple. Just let the final authority remain with the real mods. ;)

what i really meant was that the mods dont want to trawl through 1000 posts that aren't spam etc and that is what you might get with letting anyone have it. I think some of the active users like Ebrostig, Stonent, you etc should get it. I'm not here enough anymore to be in that category
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed useless posts by request: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-309667-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
rouben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open moderation could be an interesting thing to try... one might want to implement it in such a way so that if a person gets an X number of posts in a Y amount fo time (e.g. 500 posts over the course of 3 weeks or more) then they would be granted limited moderation privileges. The reason for the time limitation is to avoid people from writing scripts that would post garbage (or people actually posting garbage without the aid of scripts) in hopes to get moderation privileges. The moderation access wouldn't turn itself on automatically, one would have to go into their profile screen to turn it on (in effect they would have to volunteer explicitly, and in order to be eligible to volunteer, they'd have to have some experience on this forum).

Granted, the open moderation policy would leave a lot of the board open to potentially malicious attack, but the time limitation would weed out people who come here just to get mod status from the people who actually want to help. I think open moderation is a proven concept that has been proven over and over again. I mean, check out Slashdot and Wikipedia, both can be considered as examples of open moderation that works. The idea is that the number of people that want to help will always outweigh the number of people that want to do harm, and the end result would be the overall "evolution" of the system.

Just an idea I wanted to throw out there... what do you guys (and gals) think?
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Karma is a good way to go. Let others give you recommendation. That way, spammers dont get mod priviledges.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:

Even worse, on OsNews, people hit "report abuse" if they don't agree with the poster's opinion. So, you'd have to pretty much disable the thing for OTW. ;)
rouben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beandog wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Even worse, on OsNews, people hit "report abuse" if they don't agree with the poster's opinion. So, you'd have to pretty much disable the thing for OTW. ;)

LOL! :lol: I think Windows users have better things to worry about... like viruses, worms, spyware... the amount of junk stored in their registry... need I go on? :wink:

Omega21 wrote:
I still think Karma is a good way to go. Let others give you recommendation. That way, spammers dont get mod priviledges.

I really like this idea. Rather than enable the "I volunteer to be a mod" button in your profile based on posts, do it based on your karma level. That could work. It's like open source modding. 8)
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mods do a fine job as it is. They've left several places where you can report spam/violations, and they attend to these matters very quickly. Self moderation on these forums will simply remove their (the forums) reason for being. If I want to moderate myself, I'll go on irc. If I want to have someplace to discuss something constructively with a large group of people, I'd rather have someone who can weed out the trolls and the crazies if need be.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Report thread option Reply with quote

I visit the electro-tech forum to add my wisdom to whoever needs it, or take it when I need it

I noticed something this forum and that one seem to use the same backend (PHP??)

Now look at this thread

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/viewtopic.php?t=15430

you see next to the "QUOTE" button there is a "report" button.

any chance of getting summing like that for the Gentoo forum?
I mean we have the "report" thread and all but this might reporting easier
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope don't see it. Do you have to be a forum member to see that button?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yer, looks like you do.
just used another browser and it aint there

Basically to the right of the QUOTE button there is a red exclamation mark button that reports that post
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the last three posts.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure such a feature would be a good thing. There's the potential to annoy the hell out of the mods, like cokehabit pointed out, and finding the Report Guideline violations, duplicates or misplaced posts topic isn't that difficult. Additionally, it would encourage sloppy reporting: with the current system, when I want to report a topic, I also link to the main thread if it's a dupe, or provide additional info when appropiate (the reasoning being "if I bother to report it I might just as well do a good job"); with a quick-and-dirty report button this would be so easy that most users would probably not bother to provide that additional info.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
I'm not so sure such a feature would be a good thing. There's the potential to annoy the hell out of the mods, like cokehabit pointed out, and finding the Report Guideline violations, duplicates or misplaced posts topic isn't that difficult. Additionally, it would encourage sloppy reporting: with the current system, when I want to report a topic, I also link to the main thread if it's a dupe, or provide additional info when appropiate (the reasoning being "if I bother to report it I might just as well do a good job"); with a quick-and-dirty report button this would be so easy that most users would probably not bother to provide that additional info.

I totally agree.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
who_cares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: easier way to report posts Reply with quote

hi,
wouldn't it be easier to use the report posts hack to deal with spam
link
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged previous.
who_cares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry this thread didn't show when I searched
edudlive
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about adding the report feature, but only report it after a certain number of reports (2-5 maybe?)
ChojinDSL
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Suggestion for easier reporting of SPAM posts, violations... Reply with quote

I think it would be very convenient if in the forums there was an added button for "report this as spam". You find a post which is obviously spam or whatever, and you just click the button and the mods will be notified automatically.

Or, to make it perhaps a little more detailed, you click on the button, and an automatically formatted, editable message is prepared to be sent to the mods. It could automatically include the link to the thread and the user who made the post. The user who is reporting the post, could give a short description as to why this post needs to be removed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: