GTK+ Installation 2006. boot issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l1nux1d10t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: GTK+ Installation 2006. boot issues Reply with quote

Hi All, now I know I'm going to get slated for this probably but what the hey.....
I downloaded the gentoo livecd and install via the gui interface ( yes yes yes I know, I just want to get up and running and start learning on another machine when I actually have time on my hands, so go easy on me ) Anyway I run my install from the livecd using the dynamic installtion without downloading from the net using the binaries on the CD. So parations happen fine, users get created fine, instaltion runs fine and says it's completed. OK Cool so everything is hundreds.... until he boots. I get message stating the the root is a invalid Block device ?!?!? I used the default partitioning what going on. Please help,
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on information you provided I'd have to say something is wrong.
l1nux1d10t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh you don't say.. I'm outta ideas I go inot the shell after that message and a do a dh but can't find /dev/hda3 or 1 or 2, so I checked some stuff after the installation my /mnt/gentoo is empty as well and I'm sure all the information was supposed to go there. Inside the enviroment as well when I try and do manual mounts etc I get the message only root can do that, I thought on the boot with the livecd the default sign in user would get all required authorities?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you give us the exact error message, please!
l1nux1d10t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Block device /dev/hda3 is not a valid root device
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still too little information.
However, without any additional information I'd suspect your kernel has no support for root filesystem.
huh_dude
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<psst... hey bud>
Doing a fsck on the /dev/hda3 partition may suggest only fix is --rebuild-tree if it does bug it, I haven't been able to narrow the corruption down to anything (fsck.reiserfs reports bad nodes, wrong file size comparison etc) since I'm not familiar with the OS family. The fsck moves everything into lost+found and renames it all. If you're especially adventurous doing 2 passes of fsck.<filesystem-type here> using --rebuild-tree option <device name> may attempt to recover the stuff.

But as I said. I dunno much. No guarantees.

Its happened to me but I re-named folders and mv'd them into the / tree so I got a 1/2 'n 1/2 fsck 2nd pass fix. Some stuff stayed put in lost+found as well. Whut I did, I unpacked the stage3 tarball stuff and re-built kernel, sync'd and got emerge update stuff link'd to files 'n directories inside lost+found.

From that point I can't really make the call 'bug'. I got cheesed and deleted lost+found. Bad show. Its up to you now bro I've contaminated the crime scene and I dun wanna be famous or sumfink as a size 16 bumbleshoe. Keep this shoosh 'k. I haf a rep to pertekt.
ps. fsck allowed me to mkdir /mnt/gentoo mount /mnt/gentoo, sudo su, passwd, new login, and rebuild. It didn't fix the bootup and asked me to fsck again which is where the 2nd pass thing gave me back some lost+found. But it didn't fix the bootup still. It keeps asking for the --rebuild-tree. I'm stuck too. At least you know what's been tried.
int main()
{
const float large_mug=pourPot;
cin>> coffee | large_mug;
cout<<"Coffee"=coffee;
}
#make Coffee ..was zero, the program wouldn't work.
l1nux1d10t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys but I put a new hard drive in and guess what... I'm actually replying from inside gentoo! Suppose the installation don't register any faulty hard drives. Cheers.... ( ps i'm still and idiot on this stuff )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: