View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoylentGreen
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allow one question inbetween: why would you like to change CHOST? is there no stage3 file for your architecture? what system is that, you are going to install to?
SoylentGreen
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortigern wrote:
So, for sure, if I want to change CHOST, the only way to proced is starting the installation from step 1.
Is this the cright conclusion?

no, you just have to re-emerge system twice, and skip a few errors (emerge --resume --skipfirst). its a PIA, but it works.

BTW: there is no need to re-emerge world twice if you already did so with system. :twisted:
Vortigern
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter which architecture I have. On this PC I have i686, but I also have a pentium2 350MHz, and I don't think its to be a i585, that is the lowest optiomization I found for step3 (I found only step3 for i586 and i686, naturally speaking about x86).
About the last sentece I cannot tell more I've never tried to re-emerge the system after changing CHOST, but this is in opposition with cyrillic affermation.
SoylentGreen
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortigern wrote:
It doesn't matter which architecture I have.

yes it does, because it would make the whole discussion about changeing CHOST redundant
Vortigern wrote:

On this PC I have i686

good. ftp://cs.ubishops.ca/pub/gentoo/releases/x86/2006.0/stages/stage3-i686-2006.0.tar.bz2 is your friend
Vortigern wrote:

but I also have a pentium2 350MHz, and I don't think its to be a i585

it's either 686 or 586. check the wiki:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags

so, there is absolutly *no need* to change the CHOST at all! you will find both (586 and 686) stage3 builds. so wtf is your darn problem????
Vortigern
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link to see about your architecture, but I say it doesn't matter. I say this because, someone may have a 486 and should use step 1, and it doesn't matter because stage 1 is distributed, and so there is a way to compile the system from step one. I don't want to procede from another step, I want to compile my system from step 1, so I don't care about step3 also if it will save time and cause less issues.
We cannot block ourself if ecnountering a problem and choose another way. This forum exists to solve the problem, not to find other ways of doing something, isn't it? So the whole discussion about changeing CHOST is NOT redundant. Do you agree SoylentGreen?
SoylentGreen
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortigern wrote:
whole discussion about changeing CHOST is NOT redundant. Do you agree SoylentGreen?

of course not, but in this case this thread is a dupe and should be closed, because this is already discussed in plenty other threads in here.
we AssUMed we are talking *your* problem, not the problems of "someone" just "in theory".

and you have been aleady told that stage1 is not supported anymore either. so what??

bye

btw: if you need more arguments click my sig :twisted:
Vortigern
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, we are talking about my problem, and my problem is about compiling from stage1.
About the support of stage1, I know that the stage is not supported in the handbook, not in the forum. Am I wrong?
SoylentGreen
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortigern wrote:
You are right, we are talking about my problem,

but your problem is already [SOLVED], or who do you think used to put the [SOLVED] to the subject of this thread?

you are mixing plenty issues in this thread, which simply do not belong here. this is absolutly confusing meanwhile. :roll:

you started the thread haveing issues using 2005.1, then you complained later on (as i suggested you could use stage3, and re-emerge everything later anyway) that you would have to change CHOST. now we see this is not the case at all, and then you tell us "in theory someone else could have that problem". this sucks, really.

please make up your mind what you actually are up to. i am fedup with this, really.

installing stage1 with 2006.0 ist already discussed. simply search the forums. i will not do this for you.
Vortigern
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right.
The intial problem is already solved, but the discussion continued so I continued to post here, maybe this was not a good idea!
So I'll stop posting on this thread.
Thanks everybody for the help.
SoylentGreen
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just btw.. i finished bootstrap on a LAPTOP (notebook) fine just right now, using 2006.0 minimalcd and using stage1.
now go and do your homeworks :lol:
Vortigern
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good,
may you can help me with my problem?
You'll find the problem at this link https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-460405.html
Or maybe you can PM me!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: