Home Network and Server (services) layout
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miketigerwoods
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Home Network and Server (services) layout Reply with quote

I'm looking to change up the configuration of my home network, since I have a new machine (Sun Ultra II) and will possibly be getting another to act as a fileserver. Currently, there's a 1.3Ghz Athlon with 768MB DDR ram and two 100GB+ IDE drives, which does all the work for my network: Apache/PHP, MySQL, DHCP/DNS, NTP, Samba, ProFTPd, iptables/routing, cupsd, torrentflux (bittorrent web interface) and a gentoo-portage rsync local mirror, in addition to being a mythtv backend.

I just bought a 4 port ethernet card for the Sun and I'm looking to move over some of the services to that machine and make it the house's router. What I am wondering is what would be the optimal setup between these machines? The Ultra II has 2x300Mhz CPUs, 512MB ram, and a 9.1 GB SCSI hard drive.

For example, I'd assume that since MySQL is pretty heavily memory based it would be best suited on the Athlon with the larger amount and faster DDR memory. Also, an Apache/PHP system might benefit from the dual processors in the Sun.

Any opinions/feedback on a good setup for this network, which services would be best suited for which machine?
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing your load setup (that is, how heavy traffic wise you expect your servers to recieve) I can only tell you my experiences. Right now I've got a local portage mirror (though not distfiles), Fileserver (both NFS and SAMBA), print server, apache + mysql + php, firewall / router and DHCP (Well, DNSMasq) all running on a Celeron 766 with 96MB or ram. This serves the needs of three in-network machines that are constantly swapping data (fileserver is almost constantly hit between music, data backup and the likes). The AMP portion not so much (meant primarily for testing scripts I write, so its been confd down to absolute minimum). Additionally, I have a php based script that reinforces my already paranoid iptables rules by dynamically adding IP's to a blacklist (and subsequently de-blacking them once they leave me alone). My machine handles this load quite well; and while I've got better hardware that I could replace it with, I've seen no need.

If I were in your shoes (and your AMP setup were used for essentially the same as mine); I'd have nearly everything on the SUN machine; except your mythTV backend, which will burn cpu-cycles for breakfast when you compress any tv-shows. Of course, since your SUN machine is also limited in hard-drive capacity, you might want to think about bumping the fileserver and portage mirror over to the Athlon system as well, or get additional storage space for the sun rig.

Bare in mind; that I've got no experience with Sun machines, neither in hardware nor program wise, so I don't have the slightest clue as to how certain applications might perform on it versus your Athlon rig; However, since it IS a multi cpu setup, I would imagine that apache would work quite nicely with it.
miketigerwoods
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that was an important part I left out, the server gets very few hits mostly just the four of us in the house, any work I do for research projects (PHP/SQL), and people occasionally viewing the Gallery photos...the database gets quite a bit of use from various applications, amarok, torrentflux, mythtv, etc...about 10 databases in total. The TV card is a hardware card too so that doesn't eat up the CPU. I know that the current server isn't really straining on the load, but I've got the Sun running anyway so I figured I'd off load some work to it and what the proper/best setup would be.
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miketigerwoods wrote:
The TV card is a hardware card too so that doesn't eat up the CPU.

Its not watching LIVE tv that burns cycles but recording things to watch later (a la TiVO). I found that out the hard way a while back with a (now dead) K-6 500 system. I could watch TV fine without the server hickuping too much, but try and record something for later and forget getting even a ping back from it until its done lol. At any rate, short of the TV-Tuner card, you could probably safely split things however you like. As I mentioned previously, a threaded program like Apache will love dual-CPU's; and offloading your DNS, NTP and IPTables to the sun probably wouldn't hurt too much either. Your Disk-heavy applications (Fileserv, ftp) you should probably leave on the faster machine however. Not really sure what to do about MySQL though, as given your load level you probably wont notic a difference no matter where it is.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: