Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to get screensaver to shut off for certain jobs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Defenestrator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: How to get screensaver to shut off for certain jobs? Reply with quote

This is a small thing but it would make me happier. I often find that I want to run some complex, CPU intensive screensaver for the fun of it. I also want my overnight 'emerge -u world' jobs to get done by morning. Is there a way to make it so that certain programs, like emerge, will switch the screensaver to a simple blank screen and then switch it back to whatever it was when they finish?
Deepak420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could write a script which blanks and resets your screensaver then do a

$ ssBlank.sh && emerge -u world && ssUnBlank.sh

What are you using to display your screensaver (xscreensaver, kscreensaver etc...)?
Defenestrator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepak420 wrote:
You could write a script which blanks and resets your screensaver then do a

$ ssBlank.sh && emerge -u world && ssUnBlank.sh

What are you using to display your screensaver (xscreensaver, kscreensaver etc...)?

Yeah, I thought of that. I just wondered if there was a daemon that could handle this kind of thing. It's KDE so kscreensaver I suppose.
JuNix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever think of just using DPMS power management as a screensaver? It is less eye candy I know, but it sure doesnt use any CPU time :-)
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can try setting the nice'ness (low priority) of the screensaver so that it will only use cpu time when available.
Deepak420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface setBlankOnly true && emerge -u world && dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface setBlankOnly false

Is what you want. Though, you should drop the dcop lines into scripts to make 'em look clean and easier to use.

Quote:
Perhaps you can try setting the nice'ness (low priority) of the screensaver so that it will only use cpu time when available.

I used to do that, but it can be annoying if you need to check something on the computer while compiling due to the lag experienced in the screensaver's stopping.
Defenestrator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepak420 wrote:
Code:
dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface setBlankOnly true && emerge -u world && dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface setBlankOnly false

Is what you want. Though, you should drop the dcop lines into scripts to make 'em look clean and easier to use.

Quote:

I used to do that, but it can be annoying if you need to check something on the computer while compiling due to the lag experienced in the screensaver's stopping.

Well this is close to what I want. I would still like a configurable daemon. Something that could see when certain programs were started and then modify screensaver behavior accordingly. The screensavers could register themselves with the daemon, and recieve these messages, etc... I guess this does not exist yet. Your point about the lag in shutting off the screensaver is well taken and is one of things motivating this. Thanks.
free-zombie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'd be easier to write a bunch of simple shell functions for the apps you want...like
Code:
emerge () { dcop stuff; /usr/bin/emerge "$@" ; dcop stuff }

or something along those lines with a script that uses $0....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: