View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepan_vie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: konsole fails utf-8 stress test Reply with quote

Hello,

I tried some of the test files found at http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/ (UTF-8-demo.txt and UTF-8-test.txt) and found out that konsole has some redrawing bugs with UTF-8-demo when scrolling up and down and that UTF-8-test indicates a buggy utf-8 decoding (overlong ascii characters).
I followed the instructions found on http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html, played around with some font settings, but the result is always the same.

When cat-ed using xterm both files show ok.

I'm using konsole 1.6.2 on kde 3.5.2, systems default encoding is UTF-8.

Can anyone else confirm this bug?
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yakuake has the same issue, but since it uses Konsole as it's base, that's not a surprise. I didn't have a problem with the test file. With "demo" however, scrolling caused weird trails, and the last few boxes in the box drawing test were pretty badly distorted. The characters seemed to be ok, except for a couple greek letters that appeared as squares. Interestingly, using less, the demo file was missing all sorts of characters that appeared fine with cat. I'm going to screw around with some other stuff and see what happens.
sepan_vie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
I didn't have a problem with the test file.

When scrolling down to section 4.1 (Examples of an overlong ASCII character) all five lines 4.1.1 to 4.1.5 should not show up the forward slash.
Tried in kedit, UTF-8-test has the same problem here (forward slash is shown in 4.1.1, 4.1.2 and 4.1.3). kedit shows UTF-8-demo correctly.
If some characters cannot be displayed (shown as small boxes with dotted border line) try to change the current font to "Fixed [misc]".
schiotz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you have gone further than me - I have problems getting Unicode to work at all in konsole :(

If I manually select UTF-8 encoding under settings, it works, but I have to do that for every single tab on every window. I cannot get it to set the default to unicode.

Any suggestions?

/Jakob
sepan_vie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set unicode as your system default, just follow the instructions I found here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml.
Some programs may require some extra work, look at http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Make_your_system_use_unicode/utf-8
schiotz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepan_vie wrote:
To set unicode as your system default, just follow the instructions I found here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml.
Some programs may require some extra work, look at http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Make_your_system_use_unicode/utf-8

Unfortunately, I have already done this, and unicode seems to be working with most applications, except konsole. I will look at the wiki in case I missed something.

My environment variables are set to unicode:

Code:
[demokrit] ~/tmp>printenv | grep LANG
LANG=da_DK.utf8
[demokrit] ~/tmp>printenv | grep LC
LC_NUMERIC=en_DK.utf8
LC_CTYPE=da_DK.utf8
LC_PAPER=da_DK.utf8
LC_MEASUREMENT=da_DK.utf8
LC_ADDRESS=da_DK.utf8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_DK.utf8
LC_MESSAGES=en_DK.utf8
LC_COLLATE=da_DK.utf8
LC_TELEPHONE=da_DK.utf8
LC_MONETARY=da_DK.utf8
LC_NAME=da_DK.utf8
LC_TIME=en_DK.utf8
[demokrit] ~/tmp>locale -a | grep DK
da_DK
da_DK.utf8
en_DK
en_DK.utf8

Thanks for your reply!

/Jakob
Aysen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schiotz wrote:
It looks like you have gone further than me - I have problems getting Unicode to work at all in konsole :(

If I manually select UTF-8 encoding under settings, it works, but I have to do that for every single tab on every window. I cannot get it to set the default to unicode.

Any suggestions?

/Jakob
To set it as default, just set the encoding like you already do and then either choose "Save as default" from settings menu or "Save session profile..." and type your default session's name when asked for the new session name. Moreover, you can manage sessions' settings in settings->configuration:konsole->sessions.
schiotz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aysen wrote:
To set it as default, just set the encoding like you already do and then either choose "Save as default" from settings menu or "Save session profile..." and type your default session's name when asked for the new session name. Moreover, you can manage sessions' settings in settings->configuration:konsole->sessions.

Yes, that is what I thought as well. Unfortunately, it saves everything except the encoding, which becomes "Default". Strangely, before I saved it was iso8859-1. But after setting it to UTF-8 and then saving it is "Default" in all new konsoles. That should be good enough, since the locate is utf8, but it isn't. I use Konsole 1.5.2 using KDE 3.4.3. Looks like a bug :-(

/Jakob
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: