Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gnome out of range? Won't display in my monitor....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mehendrickson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Gnome out of range? Won't display in my monitor.... Reply with quote

Alright guys, I've been trolling here all day while I install this thing. I am a linux newb (I've been using Fedora on my laptop for a few months now and I decided to install Gentoo on my desktop just for fun)

Here's my problem. I spent pretty much the past day and a half working through the install, feeling proud of myself when things went well, and waiting for Gnome to compile. It finally finished, and with all the joy a child must feel the first time he gets an ice cream cone, I started the GUI. Then my monitor went blank and there's a small blue box that says "Out of Range" I'm guessing it has something to do with the video driver or something. How can I fix it and are their any keyboard shortcuts that will get me out of Gnome and back in the command line?

Thanks guys. Matt.
GetLinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people can get out of this black screen by hitting CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE or a similar combination of keys, then typing "reboot"+ENTER. (The unfortunate part is you can't see anything.)

I actually had to power off my computer the "bad" way.

Does GNOME use X? Then you need to customize your config file for X, which is /etc/X11/xorg.conf. First, read the file itself, because it explains itself pretty well in the comments. If you can't figure something out, post your monitor model and type, your xorg.conf file, your graphics card model, and which graphics driver you are actually using. If you don't know much about your monitor's specs (i.e., the horizontal and vertical refresh rates, the DPI and viewable area, the supported resolutions, the "native resolution" (if it's an LCD), etc.), then you should look for this information on the manufacturer's website.

I've never used GNOME, but I do know you need to have the proper settings for your monitor.
mehendrickson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it uses X or not but when I tried that it said it doesn't exist.
offensive_jerk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, gnome does use x....Im guessing that "out of range box" happens when your monitor kicks off becuase the syncs are wrong.. If that happens press cnt, alt, delete and x will shut down, which should give you your monitor back. what the other guy means is you have to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with an editor like nano. If you dont have an xorg.conf file, you can make one if there is a xorg.conf.example by typing cp "

xorg.conf.example xorg.conf"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: