RR64 or AMD64 GLI?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CptnObvious999
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: RR64 or AMD64 GLI? Reply with quote

I recently lost *everything* from my gentoo system (long story). I tried out SUSE 10.0 for the last couple of days but I would never give up Gentoo for it. What is the quickest way to get up with KDE and not deviating too far from vanilla Gentoo. I don't see a LiveCD for AMD64 so is GLI available for it? If not how good is RR64 or Kororaa? I am just looking to get a base system and then I will be updating everything and customizing it all.
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can not recommend Kororaa as an installed version of Gentoo.

emerge -auv world shows tons of packages which will be downgraded and all other sorts of stuff that will break. It's pretty cool as a demonstration of what XGL can do, but it didn't work very well for me at all when I installed it to a partition on my hard drive. Sometimes it would fail to boot at all and when it did boot, it took about 5 minutes to start (even when booting from my hard drive!). I think it has something to do with the way that it detects the video card, but I didn't really feel like wasting any more time on it when I knew that it was just something to play with. The Kororaa install just copies all of the files from the LiveCD to your hard drive and it will try to set up grub for you as well, but then you'll have to rebuild world if you want to optimize it and I HIGHLY DOUBT that the build will succeed with XGL intact.

RR64 is a similar project, but I can't speak for how good the install is once you copy it to your hard drive. It looks like their install process is basically the same as the GLI install on the 2006.0 CD, so it might be ok, but the GLI method in general SUCKS. I tried to install through the GLI on a system recently because I thought maybe I could get the install done faster, but I ended up wasting an hour and a half dicking around with it before I gave up and just did it the old way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: