ReiserFS support compiled despite using XFS & ext2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: ReiserFS support compiled despite using XFS & ext2 Reply with quote

System is running fine but I was disappointed to find ReiserFS support included (and I mean a lot of it :( ), despite carefully excluding it in the kernel menuconfig. I fully anticipated a lean install.

Any ideas?
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? you compiled it without ReiserFS and still it's in the kernel, well maybe you loaded the wrong kernel, check dmesg | less , compile date/time will be in the beginning. Remember to mount /boot before copying the image.

Cya lX
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding!

I misspoke :oops: . I was browsing through directories to orient myself, and in /sbin found the following files: debugreiserfs 542 lines, fsck.ext3 434 lines, fsck.reiserfs 1091 lines, mkreiserfs 401 lines, reiserfstune 358 lines, and resize_reiserfs 387 lines. Since I had chosen ext2 for /boot and xfs for /, I was dismayed to find so much support for filesystems that I wasn't using. However, it occurred to me, somewhat after the fact, that perhaps the support for the other filesystems was included to cover any future need. True?

By the way, thank you for pointing me to dmesg | less. I found the cause of my xf86config blues (I think - have to test it out).
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think these programs belong to the package "reiserfsprogs" which is part of the base-installation. if you really don't want reiser you can uninstall it.

why do you hate reiser? lost some data?
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hate reiser; was just surprised to find support for it on a system customized with ext2 and xfs - in fact, according to the installation doc, after running "# emerge system," "...the entire base system...will be thoroughly optimized for your system." If I configure with ext2 and xfs, yet have support included for reiser and ext3, then that support is excess baggage!

I can rationalize, after the fact, reasons for the inclusion of such support, but I suspect those reasons are still just rationalizations.

I would like to get some comments about this from persons who have used Gentoo for longer than the three weeks over which I have been playing with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: