View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loux.thefuture
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: twinview hotplug external screen Reply with quote

Hello,
i'm a laptop with a nvida card, and twinview works well when i first connect the external monitor
and after i lauch Xorg,
but could it be possible to lauch Xorg and after to connect an external monitor ?

Because when i make a presentation, i would like to connect my laptop with xorg running to not waste time waiting for xorg and acroread to start for 5 min

thanks
loux
loux.thefuture
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i found something on the README of nvidia driver :
"Hotkey Switching of Display Devices

Besides TwinView, mobile NVIDIA chips also have the capacity to react to an LCD/CRT hotkey event, toggling between each of the connected display devices and each possible combination of the connected display devices (note that only 2 display devices may be active at a time). TwinView as configured in your X config file and hotkey functionality are mutually exclusive -- if you enable TwinView in your X config file, then the NVIDIA X driver will ignore LCD/CRT hotkey events.

Another important aspect of hotkey functionality is that you can dynamically connect and remove display devices to/from your laptop and use the hotkey to activate and deactivate them without restarting X.

When X is started, or when a change is detected in the list of connected display devices, a new hotkey sequence list is constructed -- this lists which display devices will be used with each hotkey event. When a hotkey event occurs, the next hotkey state in the sequence is chosen. Each mode requested in the X config file is validated against each display device's constraints, and the resulting modes are made available for that display device. If multiple display devices are to be active at once, then the modes from each display device are paired together; if an exact match (same resolution) cannot be found, then the closest fit is found, and the display device with the smaller resolution is panned within the resolution of the other display device.

When switching away from X to a virtual terminal, the VGA console will always be restored to the display device on which it was present when X was started. Similarly, when switching back into X, the same display device configuration will be used as when you switched away, regardless of what LCD/CRT hotkey activity occurred while the virtual terminal was active."
so i know this name hotkey switching
loux.thefuture
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found someone doing it like this :
a first script :
<-
/etc/acpi/default.sh

#!/bin/sh
# Default acpi script that takes an entry for all actions
set $*
group=${1/\/*/}
action=${1/*\//}
case "$group" in
button)
case "$action" in
power) /sbin/init 0
;;
*) logger "ACPI action $action is not defined"
;;
esac
;;

hotkey)
/etc/acpi/hotkey.sh "$@"
;;
*)
logger "ACPI group $group / action $action is not defined"
;;
esac
->
and a second one :
/etc/acpi/hotkey.sh
<-
# LCD/CRT button (LCD only)
00000061) echo 1 > /proc/acpi/asus/disp
;;
# LCD/CRT button (CRT only)
00000062) echo 2 > /proc/acpi/asus/disp
;;
# LCD/CRT button (LCD and CRT)
00000063) echo 3 > /proc/acpi/asus/disp
;;
->
i seems to work for him
a+
loux
PS : you can see it : http://www.resonance.org/~josh/laptop.html
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Dell i8200 laptop with an Nvidia Geforce2 Go card and I use Twinview extensively.

My laptop seems to have an internal state regarding the external monitor that persists across reboots. The state is modified by mucking about with the LCD/CRT button (Fn-F8 on my machine) and or by booting into Windows.

In one state (which I now prefer) whether the external monitor is connected or no, it always boots into Twinview mode as if the external monitor were connected. If there is no external monitor I have to use Ctrl-Alt-plus to select a multimode where the external monitor is NULL and do horizontal scrolling/panning to see the entire desktop. The only downside of this state is that the external monitor is always blank when I am using a vconsole.

In the other state, Twinview mode will be selected based on the existence of an external monitor. No monitor => no Twinview and the only way to get Twinview is to reconnect the monitor and restart X. One benefit of this state was that the external monitor acted as a clone of the vconsoles when I was not displaying X (X could be still be running in the 7th vconsole as per usual).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: