View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSRx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: input signal out of range Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I have just built my first Gentoo, but after rebooting I get this message on my monitor - input signal out of range.
I guess its related to the screen refresh rate or resolution. I can see X and KDM are running in the process list, how can I fix this?

I had never started X before so never used the GUI, I was still using the cmd line after the installation. I referred to the Xorg how-to and the Xorg config wont run as X is already running.

Thanks,
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you be a bit more specific? Just what have you done with X?
I assume you've emerged it, but have you configured it? How do you start it?
TSRx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, after completing the build by following the steps in the online documentation I ran etc-update and updated all of the files. I also emereged KDE and Xorg (now I realise I probably didnt need to emerge Xorg?). I am relatively new to Linux.

At that point the PC hadnt been re-booted, I hadnt configured X or entered the GUI at all.

I then re-booted. Since then I get the out of range message on the montior, so I "Ctrl+Alt+1" to a different terminal and I can login at the cmd line. There I can see X and KDM are running. I found the Xorg how to, and tried using 'Xorg config' - I get the error saying X is already running.

I think I have either screwed up the X config files during the etc update, or I need to make some initial or first config of X for my machine and input devices.

thanks for your help
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you must have X autostarting somehow. Since I start it manually, I'm not sure what you have done. Have you any idea why X starts without an explicit command? It's probably a good idea to get a working configuration first, before you use X.

The fact that CTRL+ALT+1 helps you away from the out of range problems also seems strange. I don't think you can do that once X is started. Atleast I can't, from within KDE.

If you want, you can ofcourse simply kill X and KDM, and you should be able to make a correct configuration.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: