Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do fonts look different on different cards/monitors?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miunk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Do fonts look different on different cards/monitors? Reply with quote

On the SGI monitor with NVidia GeForce Ti4200 card the fonts look great.

On the Sony monitor with NVidia Vanta card the fonts look bad. (Fat in some parts, skinny in others, just plain bad).

I am using identical XF86Config files (except monitor section), nvidia drivers, and not using xfs.

I have tried all sorts of things to get the fonts on the sony looking nice, should I throw in the towel and chalk it up to the hardware?
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that can affect this is the dpi setting detected for your monitor. You may find that forcing a display resolution may work better. You can look at the dpi for your monitor by doing:
Code:

xdpyinfo | grep resolution

With my previous monitor I had to force a 100x100 dpi setting manually since the automatically configured value was not very good in terms of font quality. Since I use startx, I did this using the command:
Code:

startx -- -dpi 100

You can also set "DisplaySize" in your XF86Config file in order to force the dpi. man XF86Config for more details on this setting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: