mysterious grub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: mysterious grub Reply with quote

I've been recompiling my kernel, and getting some strange errors when trying to load newer modules. I think this might be due to a grub problem I've been having. I don't remember how I installed grub earlier, but it must have been some sort of automatic thing. Any changes I make to /boot/grub/grub.conf don't show up at the grub screen... only the same thing I've seen since I reinstalled everything at the beginning of the semester. I tried uninstalling grub and then reinstalling. Where should I look? Can I switch to Lilo to get around this problem? I really have no idea what config file grub is looking at. I've done a search, too, and haven't found any other grub stuff.
MilkSjeik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On what partition is your MBR? I guess it takes another grub installation on another partition. Normally every change to grub.conf gives direct result.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a seperate boot partition that you didn't mount before changing grub.conf?

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
schmobag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem, but I think I may have solved it. I just updated my kernel to sys-kernel/suspend2-sources-2.6.14-r7, so I needed to change my grub.conf. But none of my changes would show up on boot. And no, I didn't forget to mount /boot before editing it.

I discovered that in addition to the normal /boot/grub/grub.conf on my system, somehow I got a /boot/boot/grub/grub.conf. I'm going to copy my /boot/grub/grub.conf over the new mysterious one and reboot, to try and confirm my suspicion that grub is getting its configuration from the new file. I'll report back in a minute, after the reboot.
schmobag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Putting my desired configuration in /boot/boot/grub/grub.conf made my changes show up on boot. But I'm still left with a few questions, that I'll try to answer soon:
  • How did I get a /boot/boot/grub/grub.conf?
  • Why does grub use it?
  • If I delete it, will grub revert to using /boot/grub/grub.conf?

I have a vague memory of seeing a symlink in /boot that linked to its parent directory, such that you could descend forever into /boot/boot/boot/boot/boot... You get the idea. Maybe this grub problem is the reason for such a symlink. I'm going to try the following:
Code:
mount /boot
cd /boot
mv boot weirdboot
ln -s ./ boot

I'll let you know what I find out.

EDIT: The above steps seem to have fixed my problem. So I went ahead and deleted "weirdboot" as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: