View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivitir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: KDE, Gnome, xfce4, Fluxbox etc. Reply with quote

OK, first off I want to ask everyone to please don't let this thread turn into a blood bath of which X is better. The reason I'm starting this thread is because I currently use KDE, I love it's configurability, and all the programs it comes with. However, is seems to be some what unstable or at least a little buggy on my system. So I would like to try some other display managers out, but I want to see what all of you think are the good and bad sides of each of them are.

I'm really wanting something that is configurable, appealing to the eyes, easy to navigate, and preferably light weight.

Thanks for all your input.
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what you want, perhaps try Fluxbox (for just a window manager) or XFCE (for more of a complete desktop).
bekkra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a user coming from KDE or Gnome, falling back to a custom enviroment will seem empty, or poor. However, the *box window managers will give you a good foundation: a window manager and an application menu, plus some simple utilities. You can then add monitors, desktop managers, a composer, but all of this will be your own work, which may be fine if all you want is control, but it may become challenging in a changing environment, as you get nothing for free.

I was a blackbox, then later a fluxbox user, but for almost a year now, I have been using XFCE, because of its simplicity. It is much less developed than the two major desktops, but it gives you a solution somewhere between a completely manual set-up and a complete environment. I do not often recommend this, but the unstable XFCE line is worth the risk; it feels stable for me and it is almost finished as it seems. Why don't you try it ? ;)

Other than the change of paradigm ( from a "desktop environment" to a "window manager with custom tools" ), you could try less unstable packages. Maybe Gentoo makes it too easy to update often, but you don't *have to* do that all the time ;)

So, fluxbox will be blazingly fast, but aw so bare... and xfce MIGHT be worth a try.

Good luck !

//
psycophobia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enlightenment desktops are nice to use and there is lots of configuring, well there was for me anyway :D
The new version that is here http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_emerge_e17 comes with warnings,I Installed e16 "enlightenment" and its great.
Fluxbox, openbox,IceWM,FVWM I think are all great, have fun :D

Nice place to look http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/59/
rivitir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trying xfce, I've tried it before but this time I'm going to give a little more time with it. I like how light it is, I just wish is was more configurable (I've only tryed the gui config, havn't looked into editing config files yet). I like everything that I found when I ran:

Code:

user@hostname ~ $ emerge --search xfce

It didn't take much time at all to compile, when I emerged kde-meta it took just over 2 days, but my xfce install took about an hour if that. I need a command line for my task bar though, (aka windows version of the address bar) with a history. I currently use kde's run command because I have all my windows servers listed in the history so it is really nice to just type "r" and then click on the server name to connect. Does xfce have anything like this? I've played with the mini command, but it doesn't seem to do what I need to do. Any suggestions on a replacement or if you know of a command line that I can use?

I think I'm also going to try out fluxbox next just for fun. I've played around on it before because I have DSL on my usb drive.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: