LiveCD installation fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odi84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: LiveCD installation fails Reply with quote

Hello guys!

First I have to say that i don't have much experience with linux.

I downloaded the Gentoo LiveCD and tried doing an offline installation!

The CD is booting fine! First I tried the GTK+ installer. I started it serveral times using the same settings. I can do all the preparations but during the actual installation it always says "Installation failed". the problem is, that it is not predictibable where in the process this error occurs. Sometimes the actual installation doesn't start and the system just hangs, sometimes it says "missing files" during extraction of the tarball and sometimes the error occurs even later in the installation process with some kind of exception. Every time I started it it was a different error so there is no reason to list them here.

So I tried the installer in the terminal. This doesn't work either. When I try to configure the network it says "unable to set configuration", throws an exception and exits! It doesn't start the actual installation!

The last thing I tried was doing it over the terminal. No installer. But it doesn't recognize the "fdisk" command either and there is still an old NTFS partition on the disk I want to use.

By the way: I checked the MD5 of my LiveCD and it is correct!

Hope someone can help me!!
badman_nx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you copying to tmpfs takes more than 1 hour?
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are trying to run fdisk from a terminal, is the active shell a root shell (root shell usually has a # instead of a $ in the prompt).

Can you shift to a root terminal using the CTRL+ALT+F* keys?

Last edited by runningwithscissors on Tue May 16, 2006 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start over with the livecd/minimal cd CLI install.
kevint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: installation takes ages and sometimes install failed Reply with quote

i have a same problems as well, being trying to setup on three difference machines and get install failed during the installation.
when it come to the "installing additional packages" it takes ages to emerge a file. i left the system running over night and now it still haven't finish the installation. i used livecd 6.0. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
odi84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
When you are trying to run fdisk from a terminal, is the active shell a root shell (root shell usually has a # instead of a $ in the prompt).

Can you shift to a root terminal using the CTRL+ALT+F* keys?

Yes, I tried that too. Didn't work either. I am downloading the tarball and a snapshot right now and I'll try installing using the Minimal install CD.
But the liveCd would have been much easier!!!!!!!
Citizen Bleys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: installation takes ages and sometimes install failed Reply with quote

kevint wrote:
i have a same problems as well, being trying to setup on three difference machines and get install failed during the installation.
when it come to the "installing additional packages" it takes ages to emerge a file. i left the system running over night and now it still haven't finish the installation. i used livecd 6.0. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had similar issues during the LiveCD install on a GUI...I think the GRP packages are corrupt on the 2006.0 CD. It always failed at a different spot in "Installing Additional Packages"

I'd say the key is to avoid GRP and avoid binaries. Download a stage3 tarball (I can't remember the URL) to your LiveCD environment, and use that instead of the "dynamically generated" stage3 tarball from the CD. Also install as little software as possible initially--you can always emerge any extras after you get a bootable barebones system.
rome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: LiveCD Reply with quote

Why is my CD drives being identified as /dev/hdd and my DVD CD R/W being identified as /dev/hdc ???
I left my computer on for 10 hours and nothing happened.

I have download the latest LiveCD twice and burned then to CD R/W. It is always the same.
Any idea appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: