Weird Gentoo List Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Weird Gentoo List Problem Reply with quote

Hi all,

I dont know where to put this so here it goes.

The problem is that I cannot send e-mail to gentoo mail list from home. But if I send an email from work, it is working. I am using the same SMTP and POP3 server from both place. Well it is clear that my e-mail is normally working from home. I have _many times_ checked it. Also I can get the gentoo mail list from _home_.

The only thing I can think of is my home machine has not a DNS for its IP and so Gentoo mail list server counts mails from home as a spam. And I am using mutt at home if it helps :roll:

Can anyone know why this happens?
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really using the same remote SMTP server from both work and home then I can not understand the behavior you describe. Once an SMTP server accepts your email then the hosts after that server don't care where the machine is that originated the email, they will either accept email from that SMTP host or not.

Send an email from home to a remote email address (I think yahoo or hotmail might work) but better to send it to a friend and have them forward it back to you. Then carefully examine the headers and they will tell you where the email originated, etc.

Nowadays, almost all SMTP servers restrict what computers they will accept outgoing email from. Unless you are using the same ISP at home and at work then it is probably not possible to be using the same SMTP server. There is no problem with using the same POP3 server because that protocol is password protected.

I suspect that your machine at home is sending the email directly. In which case the scenerio you describe is correct and unless you get DNS you will have a hard time sending emails.
Elay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying

Well home and work does not share the same ISP but the SMTP server is accepting the mails. It is one of my friends server. I know it is dangerous for relaying, but anyway ...

I will look at the problem again ... Maybe I have to look at DNS issue deeper.

Thanks again
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then take a look at the headers of your outgoing mail. But I think the most likely cause for this problem is a misconfiguration of your friends SMTP server (especially if it is *shudder* sendmail).

If the DNS of your computer was important then open SMTP servers would not be such a huge security risk. Another way to look at it is that everyone who has a dialup account uses their ISP's SMTP server and none of these people have a DNS entry.
Elay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird error goes away weirdly :)
it is working now but old messages died

i checked zillion times the headers. I dont remember if I changed .muttrc
Thanks Jimbow anyway
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: