Can I use GENTOO Commercially for free?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darshanwadikar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Can I use GENTOO Commercially for free? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Iam Darshan Wadikar from INDIA. Actually Iam thinking about opening a CYBER CAFE of my own and on my own. As Iam student, Iam really short on cash, So my question is can I use Gentoo Linux for free on my systems or not?

Please tell me as soon as possible....................
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't think the licence prevents you from doing that. after all almost everything gentoo consists of is GPL'ed (i think) and you're free to make money by using the free software, as long as you follow the GPL licence. also remember that vidalinux is a commercial gentoo spinoff, and it's a legal project based on gentoo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Granting_of_rights
Quote:
The terms and conditions of the GPL are available to anybody receiving a copy of the GPLed work ("the licensee"). Any licensee who adheres to the terms and conditions is given permission to modify the work, as well as to copy and redistribute the work or any derivative version. The licensee is allowed to charge a fee for this service, or do this free of charge. This latter point distinguishes the GPL from software licenses that prohibit commercial redistribution. Stallman has argued that free software should not place restrictions on commercial use, and the GPL explicitly states that GPLed works may be (re)sold.

but it would be nice to donate now and then, since you're going to make money on gentoo :-)
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can.

If I were you though, I would donate, 1) a small percentage of your annual profits to Gentoo. How much is up to you.

I would also set up an rsync, and Distfiles mirror (useful for you internally) and make them public, and have them added to the correct mirror rotation.

This is all up to you though.

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
darshanwadikar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guy's,

Thank you very much.

and dear "nevynxxx" How can I do the mirror thing you'r talking about?????????
Kurt Steiner
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darshanwadikar,
If you want to setup a Gentoo mirror and rsync read this and this. It would be great if you helped the community, but I think you should think it over very carefully - if you make a public mirror a lot of people will connect with your server and use your bandwidth - keep this in mind!

I would not even recommend you to build such a server for your internal use - just mount on all your machines one of your computer's /usr/portage via NFS, and you will have to synchronize portage tree and download sources only on this computer, every other box will have it automatically. :wink:
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt Steiner wrote:
It would be great if you helped the community, but I think you should think it over very carefully - if you make a public mirror a lot of people will connect with your server and use your bandwidth - keep this in mind!

This is very very true, and is absolutly the point!

You can though, using linux, very very easily bandwidth throttle the outgoing ftp/rsync, so only a part of your bandwidth is used.

My point was, if you want to give back to the community, this is the best way, you will want a pretty fast pipe for an internet cafe anyway, so why not make part of it available to the community?

The more mirrors there are the less load they each suffer.

As kurt says though, unless you put bandwidth controls in, you could find your whole pipe being eaten away quite quickly.

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: