Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Please help me make my desktop look Cool!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Please help me make my desktop look Cool! Reply with quote

Hi I am running quite a resource limited system and am looking for a minimalist - but pretty desktop environment that I can use.

After a lot of searching - I came accross some images of Rox Desktop, which I think looks very functional and useable.

In any case after browsing the screenshots I saw this image http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~kwysoc/img/comotion.jpg - which particularly looked pretty much exactly like what I am looking for. I believe that it is a combination of openbox and rox. The problem is I am not to clear how to go about it?

I installed Openbox - but to start with the first problem first - I don't know how to get it started. Whenever I startx XFCE tries to load instead. Also is it possible to create custom icons on the desktop easily like this using openbox?

Moreover how did he go about creating his menubar at the bottom of the screen? I have seen many shots of OpenBox - and few include a similar menu bar.

Lastly, in what way is rox intergrated with this desktop? Is it purely being used as a file manager - or is it intergeated in some other more significant way that requires hacking or editing of any config files - and if so which?

Any hints tips, or helpful suggestions anyone can offer would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by raid517 on Fri May 19, 2006 3:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ROX-Filer (the file manager) by itself without the ROX wm. That seems pretty common. How are you logging in? Graphically or typing startx from the commandline? If graphically, what login manager are you using (e.g. gdm, kdm or xdm)?
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using GDM - and am logged in graphically.

As i said my biggest hope is to be able to recreate that desktop almost exactly. (well not entirely exactly - as i will choose my own wallpaper and perhaps my own icons - and I may have a few less icons than this guy, but this is pretty much as much as possible what I want to know how to do.

GJ
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: